Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramseyk
May 30, 2005
hi
Been waiting for a thread like this.

krustster posted:

Architects - Hollow Crown
Probably the best metalcore album of 2009 so far for me. It's a big step up in heaviness from the last one, while still retaining the complexity and melody. The vocals are now a hoarse yell rather than the gruff bellow from before, but it suits the music. Occasional "emo" vocals but they are actually sung quite well and fit with the music. Try such songs as "Early Grave", "Dead March" and "Borrowed Time" for best results.
I completely agree

We're All Alone is such a heavy song I can't help but bob my head everytime it comes on.

One of my favorite bands that rarely get mentioned on this forum is Periphery. I've been waiting for them to release their debut album for a couple of years new, I've been following the guitarists solo work for a number of years (and his work with Periphery and I love all their stuff. Not exactly metalcore or conventional metal really but I figured they should have a mention in this thread.

Also does anyone like Threat Signal? I excited for their new album. "Beyond Recognition" is pretty cool but I was disapointed with the other single they posted recently.

Ramseyk fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramseyk
May 30, 2005
hi
Anybody heard UK band Viatrophy? Their debut album leaked yesterday. I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Not overtly technical and very melodic in some parts, I'm digging it a lot.

Also Black Dahlia Murder is just regular melodic death metal with a specific fixation in the minor scale but I have to say though they do it very well.

As for Devildriver, the Last Kind Words is a bit underrated IMO. That album had quite a few good tracks honestly (Horn of Betrayal, Clouds Over California, Bound By The Moon), and I really like Dez's vocals on that album. He sucks on Pray for Villains though.

Ramseyk
May 30, 2005
hi
Oceano are incredibly bland and barring the title track (Depths) I can't stand their album. Whitechapel are better but not by much.

This is just my opinion though.

The band I mentioned earlier, Viatrophy does this style much better with a bit more creativity.

EDIT: vv Hahaha, that review is hilariously spot on. I think the music sounding so boring has to do with the age of the members ( i hear they are pretty young, like 18 or something) so hopefully with time they'll grow and mature and realize music is more than just sounding BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTAL

Ramseyk fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 21, 2009

Ramseyk
May 30, 2005
hi

Leviathan posted:

His vocals had a couple high spots on the last album, but for the most part he's always sounded pretty monotonous and most of his lyrics seem like they were written by a 9th grader.

I like to think the lyrics are a result of his days in Coal Chamber that he just never grew out of. Which were awful to begin with.

Yeah I never listen to them for the lyrics, usually just for the really catchy riffs and fun songs. Also I'm sure I'll get slammed for this but I enjoy their pristine production, there's something about its artificiality that appeals to me.

the Bunt posted:

Am I the only one that thinks Deliver Us is far and away Darkest Hour's best album? Undoing Ruin is a close second though. I really don't like the new album much at all though.
Undoing Ruin has always been my favorite but I appreciate the technicality of Deliver Us. The solos are just ridiculously hard. Good to see it carried over to the new album, which is pretty good (and more of the same.)

Ramseyk
May 30, 2005
hi

mr.vj posted:

:words:
Hahaha, you couldn't help but troll this thread. Good job!

Ramseyk
May 30, 2005
hi

A5H posted:

New Black Dahlia Murder leaked.
This is really good. They basically improved their sound in pretty much every department. Solos are more epic, riffs are ridiculously technical, drumming flows much better (also ridiculously technical), Trevors vocals own even harder. Plus the production is flawless.

So far this sounds pretty drat good, and I loved Nocturnal. I think they're realizing their potential.

EDIT: Also, this bitch is HEAVY. Probably their most aggressive album to date.

Ramseyk fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 1, 2009

Ramseyk
May 30, 2005
hi
Will someone please listen to this band? They are awesome and deserve recognition. No Consequence (lovely name yes, good music though)

For fans of Veil of Maya and deathcore in general.

http://www.myspace.com/noconsequence

I assure you metalcore people will not be disappointed!!!!

the phisH posted:

new threat signal leaked.. although I'm pretty sure its just a rip of the album stream on their myspace. Its pretty great with less Linkin Park vocals and longass melody outro bullshit.
What Threat Signal are you listening to? The one I'm hearing has a shitload more Linkin Park lame poo poo. Unfortunately. I mean the riffs are good and all but Jon Howard needs to cut back on the clean singing. It really brings down the album (although I like it once in a while)

Ramseyk
May 30, 2005
hi

krustster posted:

my GOD do I agree with this. I loving hate his singing. On the other hand I think the new Divine Heresy vocalist is a good singer despite being similar, because he doesn't sound as nasal and gay. A few other guys like Lawrence Mackrory and also Guillaume-whatever from Scarve are able to do it well. I don't know why the Threat Signal guy doesn't realize he sounds awful though.

you did not click on my link krutster i am disappointed :mad:

I don't hate Jons singing, and sometimes it can sound pretty epic, but I agree about the nasal/gay aspect too. I don't mind his singing when its used tastefully but its hardly like that on the new album, its just too much. Its a shame too because his screams/shrieks are badass and I just want more of it. It seems like they wanted every song on the new album to be Counterbalance with the nasal poo poo. Plus he can go pretty low, I'm not sure why he doesn't growl more often. It'd fit the music better than the gay Chester Park singing. He's not a bad singer, just unfocused I guess.

Too bad because apart from that the riffs are brilliant and I find myself bobbing my head to most of the songs. Plus whats up with all the ballads? There's like two extremely radio friendly songs on there that wouldn't be radio friendly if it wasn't for his singing. Growl more!

EDIT: BDMs new album is brilliant. As I said in an earlier post, the drumming is tighter, the riffs are more technical (in a good way), Trevors vocals have always been awesome, and the solos are great. My biggest gripe is that it sounds really chaotic and aggressively heavy, I think I prefer Nocturnals -core sound but Deflorate is an extremely strong showing so far (this year).

Ramseyk fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 7, 2009

Ramseyk
May 30, 2005
hi
Black Dahlia Murders new video for their single "Necropolis,"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15h_Dqd5U5E&feature=related

Bowling has never been so heavy.

Ramseyk
May 30, 2005
hi
New instrumental track by thrashy experimental band Haunted Shores (won't fly in the metal thread). I never really cared for them before but drat, this track is really great. Its not downloadable so I've been visiting the Myspace constantly just listening to it on repeat. Its THAT good. here you peeps go http://www.myspace.com/hauntedshores

EDIT: Forgot to say, the song name is "Immaterial." Its the first one on their myspace player.

Its no surprise that it was co-produced by Misha Mansoor of Periphery/Bulb internet popularity, its really catchy, heavy, and well produced, I guess.

Ramseyk
May 30, 2005
hi
So the new Veil of Maya album is out [id]. Any thoughts? Personally, this is a great follow up. I love it so far. My only complaint is that its too short.

Ramseyk
May 30, 2005
hi
Yes. Well, they have a couple on their Myspace I think. If you don't like Veil of Maya stay away though because its more of the same. But I like it.

https://www.myspace.com/veilofmaya

Edit: listen to Mowgli, its one of the best tracks off the new album.

Ramseyk
May 30, 2005
hi

Faux Shoah posted:

New Acacia Strain leaked :ssh:

edit: and yes, it's loving sweet

Its ripping my face apart atm

Ramseyk
May 30, 2005
hi
If anyone cares, The Eyes of a Traitor - Breathless has leaked. Great follow up to A Clear Perception (which I enjoyed very much, I felt it was quite underrated as far as metalcore releases of '09 were), basically all I have to say about it is that it slays and everyone should listen to it. Right now. And if you haven't heard A Clear Perception already, do yourself a favor and check it out if you're a fan of Misery Signals (although they blend a couple other styles). Extremely tight album with plenty of enjoyable breakdowns. But Breathless shows a much greater evolution of their sound and a tighter execution overall with less reliance on leads and more of a focus on grooves and heaviness---well I'm loving it already.

I feel like the productions worsened somehow though, I can't really put my finger on it. Also, there aren't as many standout tracks so far I'm realizing (compared to their previous effort), but the more I listen to it the better it gets.

Ramseyk fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 22, 2010

Ramseyk
May 30, 2005
hi

krustster posted:

Nope, i mean these guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gtkrfbpg5XQ

I had no idea they were so unknown. I wanted to link to the song "Hostility" but it doesn't even exist on youtube from what I can see (this song only has 1000 views, wtf).

Thanks a lot for these guys. Really quality stuff, I love "In Cadences" (on their ep) as well as the metal stuff too :v:

EDIT: Amia Venera owns too!

Ramseyk fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jan 24, 2012

Ramseyk
May 30, 2005
hi
Soooo Periphery's album has leaked/hit the net. What do you guys think? It sounds like a solid improvement to me! Also I realize this isn't the djent thread but that thread kind of died off and rather than resurrect it I figured I'd post this here, I hope thats kosher...besides their new album just sounds like progressive metal to me not really djent.

Heres a link to a stream that the band has posted:

http://themusic.com.au/listen/all/periphery-two/

I kind of like it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramseyk
May 30, 2005
hi

The Dark Wind posted:

I absolutely love Misery Signals, although they don't hit the mark either, though they come pretty drat close too. Somethings perhaps a little bit less technical or clean, but rather more gritter and heavier. Their album Mirrors is more or less what I'm talking about, specifically songs like Anchors or Sword of Eyes. Maybe a bit more minor 7ths and 9ths. Gotta love those minor 7ths and 9ths

Gonna take a stab at some recommendations.

Heartless
http://heartlessca.bandcamp.com/album/heartless-ep

The Divided
https://www.facebook.com/wearethedivided
Karl Schubach does guest vocals on one of the tracks.

I Am Divide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SNhh-s58Q4
These guys have since broken up. But they have an EP and man it was good.

Ramseyk fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 14, 2012