Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

deltawing posted:

Darkest Hour - Undoing Ruin is the metalcore magnum opus, if you ask me. Produced by Devin Townsend, to top it all off!

One of the best albums of the decade, but it doesn't really sound like metalcore - there are hardcore roots and Mike Schleibaum's rhythms still have the feel of older American hardcore bands as well as some thrash and groove, but Kris Norris really took the lead on the album as far as guitar sound, and this dominates the album. John Henry's vocals aren't bestial growls, but they aren't hardcore shouts either.
Regardless of genre, it is one of my favorite albums, and the solo in 'Tranquil' is amazing.

'The Eternal Return' is Darkest Hour's second album that reaches the same type of perfection, and it does so in a different way. It still has a lot of the melody from the Swedish influence in the band, but it assembled and played in a way much more reminiscent of bands that sound American. It mixes a lot of styles, thrash/groove/melodic death metal/hardcore, all seamlessly, into something new, coherent, and cohesive, qualities which a lot of genre-crossing bands don't feature.

Major Burns posted:

Wait, how are these guys considered deathcore? They don't have any of the deathcire "traits" (pig squeels,breakdowns etc.)

They're a blend of melodic death metal and metalcore, which is fairly common. Deathcore generally blends the more brutal aspects of death metal and brutal death metal with hardcore.

Cock Soup posted:

Simply the type of riffing. Technically, it would be "Dark Metal" which is an obscure genre of which At The Gates was the leader. But nowadays, the name has more or less disapeared (go figure :rolleyes:) and people think that the type of riffing typical to Metalcore/Deathcore originated with the genre.

AtG were one of the bands that defined melodic death metal, I haven't heard them described otherwise except by whiny kids who call them metalcore. I don't even know what "dark metal" is supposed to be, because the term is incredibly ambiguous - I have seen it used to describe blackened death metal, fairly straight black/death/doom, and a lot of the time to describe bands that sound more like Christian Death or Sisters of Mercy than a metal band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

xcore posted:

Just out of interest US goons. Parkway are Australias biggest metalcore band and the press always talk about them making waves overseas and touring the US etc. What's the reception been like in the US? Are they big in the metalcore scene over there?

I saw them a few years ago on a package tour, playing late afternoon, and they got the best crowd response of anyone that day, and they got pretty much everyone in the building into it. Still, they are still playing around bands that are certainly not among the biggest metalcore bands (they played several slots below Darkest Hour, who headlined). They are well received by metalcore fans, but they are mostly unknown outside of that to both casual listeners and metalheads (as far as I have seen).

Back on the hot topic, Wormwood arrives tomorrow and I can't wait to hear it.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

The Eternal Return was great, it had the vibe and attitude of early Darkest Hour (the dreary feel of the EPs especially) with the aggression and musicianship of their later stuff. Brian McTernan really got the best out of John Henry's voice and a fairly straight capture of a 5150 tone on the guitars (what they sound like live, only slightly smoothed and thickened) and it fit the music perfectly.

The two new songs sound like half of the other metalcore bands when DH were making Undoing Ruin, mixed with the overall sound of Soilwork and a few old Darkest Hour riffs. The rhythm guitar tone sounds thin, the mids are scooped out and the treble is mixed down with the cymbals over it, but the lead tone sounds great. Most of the streams of songs seem to be compressed a lot though so I'll have to wait for the actual CD to complain about the production any more. The guitar solos sound amazing, they fit the songs and the band perfectly - Lonestar is absolutely the right guy for the band and has proven it by one album + 2 songs so far.

I just wish Peter Wichers would stay away from my favorite bands :smith:

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Oh man, I forgot Slaughter of the Soul existed, that CD loving owned

It sure did, such a great finale for ATG.

Not really metalcore, but I love a lot of bands that are similar to ATG.

Casketgarden are basically ATG worship, mid 2000s melodic death/thrash metal. They borrow a ton of riffs from ATG and remind me of Nightrage's "Sweet Vengeance".

Eucharist's "Mirrorworlds" as well as their debut and second demo are among my favorites of the Gothenburg scene - they bear a lot of similarities to ATG, but I'd say they were less vocal-centric and the guitar work was a bit more focused on melody.

Sacrilege put out two great albums too, more melody/less groove than ATG. Quite a bit of acoustic/clean work, lots of riffing too that shows a bit of the earlier days of Swedish DM (Stockholm scene).

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

ShoogaSlim posted:

http://lambgoat.com/news/17345/New-England-Metal-and-Hardcore-Fest-line-up

I want to go but most of my friends are pussies.

Has anyone heard anything about who will be headlining Saturday? Rumors/speculation I have heard are Iced Earth/Symphony X (who are both free at the time, two months after a co-headline US tour) and Lamb of God, who are putting out a new CD in January, so it might make sense to wait to announce that. IE headlined Saturday in 2004, when the bill was primarily hardcore, and while they're not as popular these days, I think they still might go for two metal headliners to bring in more metal fans. LOG would be top notch band to headline, they're more on par with the popularity of KSE.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Darkest Hour have been touring with Aaron Deal (Salome) on bass and Tim Java (Dead to Fall) on drums. After there was a press release about a new band referring to Ryan as ex-DH, I checked the recent tour photos and those dudes are playing with the band. Looks like Ryan and Paul are both out of the band. In good news, Ryan Parrish has a new project with Kris Norris, and those dudes have been making good music together for almost 20 years.

Press release about new band: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=167429

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

I'm two days late, but The Acacia Strain's live shows are really inconsistent now because their guitarist, DL, only plays in the studio now, so they seem to have a different fill-in guitarist every tour, and most of them aren't very good. They tend to have slow hands and miss every sort of phrasing that made the guitar parts enjoyable, they just play the rhythm parts with no inflection and they tend to be a bit sloppy.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Amidst all the hardcore-recommending, I wholeheartedly think every hardcore fan should head Integrity's "Humanity Is The Devil". The first side of the record is just under 15 minutes and it's among the best hardcore I've heard. The second side is a bunch of spoken word and samples about some nonsense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdHJrg1W7Q0

Wamsutta posted:

DL or no DL, the Acacia Strain are terribly inconsistent live. I'd say of the ~8-10 times we've seen them live, 50% have sounded awesome and 50% sounded like sludgy poo poo. They are my favorite band, but their sound requires the right sound guy or things get ugly in a hurry and it becomes a wall of buzzing chug with clipping vocals. I'd say the best they sounded was The Chance in Poughkeepsie (Continent release show), and the worst was at Sounds of the Underground in 07. I still like them live because they have a ton of energy, but DL was like half of their charisma, and it does suck that he doesn't tour anymore.

It's really inconsistent, though I figured out a few things.

-The Acacia Strain aren't really suited to playing in a parking lot mid-afternoon.
-Everything sounds like sludgy crap when played through the PA in the cave known as the Webster Theater.
-Even without DL, they sound better when they primarily rely on their amps rather than FOH speakers.
-Earplugs help a lot.
-With the introduction of six-string basses to the band, the bass is now larger than the bass player. Perhaps their sound would be better with an upright bass.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Killswitch Engage updated their website with a new picture of the band: http://www.killswitchengage.com/

That guy in the middle looks familiar... It's Jesse Leach

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

It seems that The Acacia Strain lost their swagger. The doomy, droning sound of Wormwood didn't really work for them, and the Meshuggah-wannabe riffs are as uninteresting as Meshuggah have been for a decade. I think DL is trying to lock into one slow groove for a whole song, but it doesn't work out. Feels like they've lost the fun element of their music and they're trying to be too serious, just aiming to be as heavy as possible with bending grooves on an eight string, like if 'Skynet' stayed on the first riff for three minutes.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

You guys really didn't think Wormwood was fun?

DRAMA FROM THE DRAMA HATING DRAMA QUEEN

TIME TO SUCK TODAYS DICK

The lyrics have always been violent with a bunch of silly one-liners thrown in that lighten the mood and make it a bit more entertaining. The vocal variation was pretty strong up through Continent too, which helped that out. Wormwood was just straight angry/misanthropic lyrics and mostly monotonous guttural growls, which is lame and I've heard a hundred metal bands doing exactly the same thing. It feels like they're ironing out all the nuances that used to make their music great and set them apart. I'm also sick of hearing bands who are trying to be Meshuggah, because Meshuggah are boring enough already and most of the wannabes can't even jerk off in 25/16 time over a 4/4 beat.

quote:

Also, is most of RAS Acacia Strain fans? :v:

It would seem so.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

One of the oddities I noticed on Wormwood was in the thanks list. Vincent thanked Dylan Carlson of drone doom/post-rock band Earth as well as Al Cisneros and Matt Pike of the stoner doom band Sleep. The name "Matt Pike" appears four times on Vincent's thanks list, and they also work with a booking agent by the same name at The Kenmore Agency. There's another Matt Pike who works as a roadie with some metal bands, so I suppose there's a running gag about all these guys with the same name.

It's weird to see the straightedge frontman thanking the dudes who are noted for writing the 63-minute epic Dopesmoker, but it does show some influences for the band integrating a death/doom sound to their brand of hardcore.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

The Acacia Strain seem to have lost their swagger. Perhaps it's hard to swagger when your guitar has too many strings and you need to gesture along with your rhyming lyrics.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Every track I've heard of this album makes it seem like the production is really muddy...

Everything tuned to drop E is either going to sound really muddy or painfully dry. I can hear the bottom string flopping around at the end, the whining "whap whap whap whap" breakdown. That might be emphasized by YouTube's audio compression. Damnit, stop mixing Meshuggah into my Acacia Strain, I hate Meshuggah.

It has been interesting to hear the influences that have been becoming more prevalent in their last two albums. I think they have always been fans of Integrity and Ringworm (especially with Human Furnace doing some vocals on TDW), they have been going towards the darker side of the Holy Terror stuff. They're shaping the sound to be a lot doomier - there's death/doom in the sound, and it seems that Vincent is just a fan of doom in general (thanking Matt Pike and Al Cisneros of Sleep, plus Dylan Carlson of Earth on Wormwood). DL obviously loves Meshuggah, which is why he's using eight strings and Thordendal's signature DAR amp - sounds like it's blended with a Mesa Rectifier and a 5150. This sucks because Meshuggah sucks and the sound is suffering from the excessive downtuning. The choppy riffing feels out of place a lot of the time, it felt more hammering and less choppy when you couldn't hear the strings flopping. I think DL might have gotten in a bit over his head in terms of production.

The intro to the song reminded me of the feel of the Grand Supreme Blood Court teaser that came out today, though the rest is quite different.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

:fuckoff: Get this Meshuggah-clone poo poo out of The Acacia Strain, it's almost as bad as Meshuggah. :arghfist::jerkbag:

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

ShoogaSlim posted:

That rules so hard.

I just ordered my ticket for Every Time I Die and The Acacia Strain in March. (14th in NYC). Gonna be so silly.

They're playing New Haven, Connecticut, I will most likely be there. I'll be there with wamsutta and probably GWBBQ and maybe some other goons.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Unearth were awesome, they played a one-off and said they'll have a new album out in January or February. Dillinger are up next, after the most painful two hours of prog mallcore and technical nu-metal.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

I saw the tour in Worcester a few days ago. Since it's a long drive we didn't catch the whole day.

The Ocean: Atmospheric, which doesn't really work in the Palladium. Interesting to watch but perhaps ill-suited to the venue.

Cattle Decapitation: Competition drumming with accompaniment. Perhaps the most flaccid performance of the night, while I'm into more death metal than hardcore, they were boring and unengaging.

Unearth: Killed it - worked the crowd really well, which probably isn't hard for a hometown show, played sharp, and despite the poor acoustics/sound, they managed to highlight the transitions, perhaps by having their sound guy boost the sound a bit during breakdowns, but they weren't a blur like the later bands. Hell of a show as always.

Periphery: With the bass/mid heavy sound of the place, all of their boring chugging sounded like prog mallcore. Not good at highlighting the difference between sections, slightly slurred transitions, and just a poor, inexperienced live act in general. Very little interaction with the crowd and they seemed like, despite having six guys on the stage, none of them brought any energy to it.

Animals as Leaders: What this night really needed between a high energy hometown show from one of the best metalcore bands, and the reckless onslaught of DEP, was some jazz fusion/technical nu-metal played by a couple guys who collectively have less stage presence than John Myung. They were about as engaging as watching a YouTube video in a movie theater. Absolutely no crowd interaction, made worse by their extended breaks to tune their eight-string guitars. I used these breaks to heckle them. They went over their alloted time, which meant no encore for Dillinger.

Dillinger Escape Plan: Amazing. I must say, Greg did a great job of getting the crowd into it, or getting into the crowd.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Percy Teatwillow posted:

Crazy day for metal today. The vocalist from All Shall Perish left the band to... join Suicide Silence almost a year after Mitch Lucker passed away. I don't even know what to think.

"There's many who tried to prove that they're faster, but they didn't last and they died as they tried."
-Judas Priest, "Hell Bent for Leather"

RIP Mitch Lucker.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

That riff at 1:28 is awesome, it has tons of swagger and groove, which the band has been lacking since Continent. I'm sick of the slow parts where they're trying to do something atmospheric with a sorta death/doom feeling but only lovely slo-Meshuggah riffs. The cover of Continent basically depicts what happened to the band after they finished that album.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

I'm going to imagine for a few minutes that DL is either leading the resurrection of the old epic heavy metal band Legend, or maybe adding breakdowns to the NWOBHM one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooiP240BWHU

Nope, he's joining a mediocre deathcore band to add his lovely Meshuggah-worshipping mallcore chugga-chugga poo poo because he wants to make brutal metal with guitar necks forged from whole tree trunks with a lotta strings he's going to forget are there while he chugs on a telephone wire that buzzes and farts and he won't know how to cut out the fart because he's not very good at producing.

I'm still bitter about TAS losing the groovy/bouncy breakdowns, all the swagger, and completely cutting out the "fun" aspect to their music. I miss the witty one-liners in the lyrics, now it's just the band being a lovely hardcore version of death/doom with some goofy looking dude with video game tattoos shouting about how he hates everyone, especially women.

Solution: Sent TAS back in time to listen to this, to remind them that they're not destined to be the primate version of Integrity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOsQT9F_hbU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

krustster posted:

So I guess every time a new Acacia Strain tape comes out we are going to have people going "man I miss when they were fun" and "man this new direction sucks" and then as weeks go by, many of those same people will go "this tape is actually really good" and the cycle will continue~~

Yeah but I'm that metal guy who hates everything so I'll probably only be the former not the latter. The band's lyrics have gradually moved from tastelessly violent but witty/fun/joking one-liners to a bunch of rhyming violence and anger. It's angsty and pandering, feels completely insincere beyond a general "bad day" attitude, and I know the guys behind it are actually fairly normal, social adults which just adds another degree of disappointment because it feels insincere.

Other metalcore-ish news: ex-Darkest Hour guitarist Kris Norris is now in Scar the Martyr, a band led by Slipknot drummer Joey Jordison. Jordison played drums and rhythm guitars on their album, then brought in Norris and Jed Simon to play leads/solos. It basically ranged from boring to bad industrial metalcore/mallcore with competently performed solos fit in where solos don't really fit into the songs, plus more than a few tinges of radio hard rock.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

The new PTH starts off strong but it sort of feels disorganized after 25-30 minutes, the tracks don't flow much and it loses steam. Only listened once though.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

There should be a gym-bro drill-sargeant lifting metal/core/breakdowns thread. Then this thread can be entirely dedicated to talking about The Acacia Strain's The Dead VValk: The Dead Walk II, in which Vincent continues his quest to be the find the spiritual anti-zen of Dwid Hellion.

Today I heard some interesting dark/thrashy hardcore that sounds pretty good for being a second-rate Pulling Teeth.
http://soulsforsale.bandcamp.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

They're playing New Haven. I'm gonna go clobber dudes with Wamsutta.