Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rgrdgr Karnage
Feb 2, 2006

What the hell is that on the ceiling?

MalConstant posted:

Arsonists Get All The Girls - Portals - I was never really a huge fan of these guys, but this is one experimental, heavy-as-gently caress album. Check out the song My Cup Half's Empty to get an idea. I love the ending. EDIT: One thing i didn't like about this album was the hidden track. What a stupid idea that was.

Came here to post this. I didn't expect anything special when I got this album, but holy gently caress it exceeded my expectations after one listen. AGATG definitely know how to keep things interesting.

I'm really enjoying Constellations by August Burns Red. I never could get into any of their previous work, but they seem to have stepped up the songwriting on this album. Seconding the awesomeness of Tommy Rogers on Indonesia.

Speaking of Tommy Rogers, Between the Buried and Me are releasing their new album, The Great Misdirect, on October 27th. Who's excited? I know I am.

rgrdgr Karnage fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 15, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rgrdgr Karnage
Feb 2, 2006

Despised Icon's first two albums were killer, but I felt like they went a little downhill afterwards. I liked The Ills of Modern Man a lot, just not as much. The new song is pretty good, though.

Blind Witness seems to be pretty awesome. Thanks for the recommendation.

rgrdgr Karnage
Feb 2, 2006

MetaKaiser posted:

And has anyone noticed a lot of -core bands are Christian bands? Mychildren Mybride, The Devil Wears Prada, August Burns Red, Texas In July, Whitechapel, Attack! Attack!, etc. As someone who doesn't particularly subscribe to any religion, it's weird that a lot of my favorite bands are singing about god and preaching their faith and whatnot.

Yeah, it's interesting. As long as they don't have overt Christian lyrics, I'm fine with it. I saw Mychildren Mybride live with Protest the Hero and As I Lay Dying, and they were praising Jesus between every song. At that point it gets a little tacky, imo.

Also, am I the only one who doesn't get Whitechapel's popularity? They always have sounded pretty bland and mediocre to me.

rgrdgr Karnage
Feb 2, 2006

Ramseyk posted:

Oceano are incredibly bland and barring the title track (Depths) I can't stand their album. Whitechapel are better but not by much.

This is just my opinion though.

The band I mentioned earlier, Viatrophy does this style much better with a bit more creativity.

Then you should enjoy this review:

http://www.teufelstomb.com/reviews/oceano-depths/

44+ minutes of breakdowns apparently. Go figure.

rgrdgr Karnage
Feb 2, 2006

The new Born of Osiris is ok. I was excited for it after I heard Exist, but the rest of the album is pretty dull. I've listened to it 4 or 5 times, and none of the tracks stick out at all.

Although, I'd take the new Born of Osiris over Suicide Silence anyday. I don't understand the hype of that band. In fact, you could make a mix cd of Whitechapel and Suicide Silence tracks, and I probably couldn't tell them apart. The breakdowns are predictable, and their riffs are all muddy and uninspired. It's bands like them that give metalcore/deathcore a bad rep from other metalheads. Remember mr.vj's post from earlier in the thread? I don't blame him at all for making it. I don't mean to step on anyone's toes here. This is just my opinion.

ANYWAY!

Finally, a BTBAM studio update! Short, but awesome. Check it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfOAefJH3YM

They'll be posting a new studio update each week of August.

rgrdgr Karnage
Feb 2, 2006

The BTBAM teaser blew me away. I need The Great Misdirect, now. :(

rgrdgr Karnage
Feb 2, 2006

Animosity breaking up has me so bummed. They did deathcore right.

rgrdgr Karnage
Feb 2, 2006

ShoogaSlim posted:

Did you ever even listen to their self-titled.. like when it was actually released? That's when BTBAM was actually playing experimental metalcore that sounded good. Now they just jerk their instruments off for 20 minute long songs and I fall the gently caress asleep when I saw them at the Saints and Sinners tour. I fell ASLEEP!

Sucks for you, dude. I think Tommy's vocals are very well done and tasteful. The Great Misdirect is definitely my album of the year.

rgrdgr Karnage
Feb 2, 2006

TheQat posted:

Maybe this is obvious, but it seems to me that BTBAM isn't really "metalcore" anymore. I mean, they toured with 3, Opeth, and Dream Theater, they supposedly have no live energy (something I really hope for in any band referred to as metalcore), their songs are pretty much averaging 8:00+ . . . comparing them to Red Chord is real apples to oranges stuff, to my mind.

That's not to say you shouldn't feel free to like Red Chord's new stuff more, just that I think BTBAM is quite intentionally heading in an entirely different direction.

Very well said, and I agree completely. They are pretty much just a prog metal band these days. Everyone bitches about their new stuff because it's nothing like their S/T or The Silent Circus, but what do you expect? Tommy and Paul are the only current members that were in the band during that era. When Dan, Dusty, and Blake joined for Alaska, you could easily tell the band was going in a different, more progressive direction. Bands grow and evolve.

And yeah, I don't see how anyone can compare BTBAM to The Red Chord... two different animals.

The reason I love BTBAM is that they manage to make everything interesting. There's so much going on that I can listen to their records over and over and get something new out of it every time.

As for The Great Misdirect, it's amazing. What I'm most happy with is that this is far from Colors II, imo. It's a little bit more on the experimental side, and it just feels heavier than Colors. TGM isn't one continuous musically conceptual piece like Colors was, either. Every song is pretty different from the others. The end of Swim to the Moon might be the most brilliant thing they've ever done.

rgrdgr Karnage fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 22, 2009

rgrdgr Karnage
Feb 2, 2006

the Bunt posted:

Blake Richardson tracking the drums to "Obfuscation". Not my favorite BTBAM song (or even new one) but this is great fun to watch. I really dig Blake's style a lot. He's more about grooves than blast-beats and double bass (though he does those awesomely too) which I like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snGxAUBMZHY&channel=btbamofficial

edit: there's no way that dude is vegan. does anyone know who is and isn't vegan/straight edge in that band?

I think Blake might be the only one who isn't vegan/straight edge. They also talk about Dustie "breaking edge" when he was 13 (in jest, of course) but who knows?

rgrdgr Karnage
Feb 2, 2006

Consider me impressed by Malak. I'll definitely keep an eye on them.

The DEP sample, I must admit, sounds much better than anything on Ire Works, imo. I guess I just can't get into that album. Here's to a long 3 months of waiting...

rgrdgr Karnage
Feb 2, 2006

Spiral posted:

My band THE ARMED has a new EP coming out (it'll be free) and we made a little teaser video that features a guy playing drums that most people in this thread will enjoy.

http://www.friendsthroughcommonenemies.com

I downloaded your album last night and am enjoying the gently caress out of it. This is really great stuff. I'll be looking forward to your EP, and I'm letting all my friends know about you guys asap.

rgrdgr Karnage
Feb 2, 2006

A5H posted:

Woah as if there's a goon posting who was in glass casket :o .

That's because there is a goon who was the guitarist for Glass Casket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rgrdgr Karnage
Feb 2, 2006

The new Ion Dissonance record, Cursed, is pretty awesome. At first I was turned off a bit by it because it didn't quite sound like Minus the Herd. I came to realize that it's different in a very good, chaotic way.

Also, the new East of the Wall album, Ressentiment, is incredible. I've never heard of these dudes before, and they are just... all over the place, so to speak, with their music. If you like proggy post-hardcore, I suggest you check them out.