Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fenner
Oct 4, 2008
Crosspost with PAD, I tried to do the same treatment on each one, but they came out differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Zygar posted:

This thread rocks. Landscape photography is one of the most satisfying types of photography there is, IMO. Some of the stuff in here is absolutely incredible.

The composition isn't amazing but I liked the stillness of the water. I want to go back here sometime and recompose it so that the water starts at the bottom left hand corner instead of slightly above it.

The water is great, but it's too small in the shot. The contrast of the perfect smoothness with the rocks isn't done quite right here...I think it's just shoved too much into the side of the shot. Less sky, less rock, I think.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Twenties Superstar posted:

Stephen Shore is a goon?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I don't really have much of an eye for landscapes sadly but figured I'd try. Y'all have some great shots here.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

evil_bunnY posted:

Stephen Shore is a goon?

Just curious, what in particular makes you think about Stephen Shore?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

penneydude posted:

Haha, it's a lot better than most I've seen, I'm really liking the light rays coming down from the clouds.

Your horizon is right smack in the middle of the frame vertically though, which tends to lead to a static feeling picture. The rule of thirds applies to things like horizons as well, and I think if you had placed the mountains either up a bit or down a bit in the frame (I'd say down personally, but it would depend on what the sky above that looked like) it would make for a better shot.

Thanks; I don't know why I centered it like that but hey, four years ago.

I took this one in the same shot and for some reason put it aside; it's probably the better of the two. I think I just wasn't a fan of the silhouetted mountains because they came out so noisy at normal resolution.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Just curious, what in particular makes you think about Stephen Shore?
An every day americana scene on color film. He tends not to leave as much dead space as you did, but it's just what came to my mind when I saw it. Nothing in that picture's indicative of a specific era, so that probably helped.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

have been in CC lately, but here are some 'recent' landscapes:

snowman
Aug 20, 2004
due it

fenner posted:

Crosspost with PAD, I tried to do the same treatment on each one, but they came out differently.

Nice shots, I love the water and color. Are you using a neutral density filter on these? I actually have to ask dread head the same question. If you guys are, what brand and how many stops? I have been looking at buying one to slow down day time shooting.

fenner
Oct 4, 2008

snowman posted:

Nice shots, I love the water and color. Are you using a neutral density filter on these? I actually have to ask dread head the same question. If you guys are, what brand and how many stops? I have been looking at buying one to slow down day time shooting.

Nope, no ND filter. f/22 on kit lens :dance:. I really need an ND filter though, ND8 is the most common and gets the job done fine I think, but I have no idea about brands.

duck pond
Sep 13, 2007

guidoanselmi posted:

This is really nice. Camera/lens?

fenner
Oct 4, 2008
I'm having some trouble, often when I'm shooting landscapes in good light the colors dont come out very vivid/saturated, even shooting at f8, iso 100 on a tripod. Here is an example, I had to boost the hell out of this in photoshop to get something like it was IRL, but it fucks the colors boosting them so much, so they're not as natural. Is this just a limitation of my kit lens?

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Lots of great photos in here.

Personally I like shooting mountains, but since my widest lens is the thrifty fifty often the scenes are a little cramped on my 10d. I'm just starting to get a handle on post processing...most of the time I'm simply adjusting levels to remove the gray in the RAW images, a bit of sharpening, and that's about the extent of my abilities. This, and other threads like it, are invaluable to people like me and I'd like to thank you all for your contributions.

A couple summers ago Waterton National Park had some serious forest fire smoke happening and made for some great layering.

This one I had to crop funny due to clutter on the bottom, I'm not totally happy with cutting off the lake, but it still works:

And this is probably my favourite from the entire trip that summer:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Terrible cloudless sky ruining your landscapes? Well have I got the fix for you! :haw:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Eegah posted:

Terrible cloudless sky ruining your landscapes? Well have I got the fix for you! :haw:

...what?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It's a vodka not-so-graduated filter, duh.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

ConfusedUs posted:

...what?

I think GBS is leaking.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Lets get back on track...

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM
4s f/22.0 at 17.0mm iso100

fenner
Oct 4, 2008

Dread Head posted:

Lets get back on track...

Goddamnit dread, you are the god of landscapes.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

hey dread, beautiful shots, i looked at the exif and was wondering why you shoot in spot metering mode?

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

unixbeard posted:

hey dread, beautiful shots, i looked at the exif and was wondering why you shoot in spot metering mode?

He can answer as well, but I also shoot landscapes in spot, so I'll give my answer.

I like to use a quasi-zone system. With the spot I can point to either the brightest part of the scene that I want to keep, or the darkest, and adjust my meter to match. For example: +2 for the brightest, or -2 for the darkest.

penneydude
Dec 31, 2005

MS-DURP gives you the only complete set of software tools for 17-bit systems.
All these mountain photos remind me that I live in a really pretty place and need to take more pictures of it...Some nice shots guys.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

crossposting an aerial landscape:

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

poopinmymouth posted:

He can answer as well, but I also shoot landscapes in spot, so I'll give my answer.

I like to use a quasi-zone system. With the spot I can point to either the brightest part of the scene that I want to keep, or the darkest, and adjust my meter to match. For example: +2 for the brightest, or -2 for the darkest.

Pretty much this I use the spot meter so I can find the brightest and darkest spot and then I go from there. If you use something like matrix it will see the dark water, and the bright sky and try to guess. I would rather see what the camera thinks the water is, then adjust from there and same goes for the sky. These and my shot from a few weeks ago are my first lighting shots so still trying to figure that out.

Catch 22
Dec 1, 2003
Damn it, Damn it, Damn it!

benisntfunny posted:

For better or worse I edit most of my landscapes pretty heavily. However I usually know what I'm going to do with a shot before I take it.

Here's some before and after shots.
Can you go over what you use for this and how you do it?

penneydude
Dec 31, 2005

guidoanselmi posted:

Is this tilt/shifted?

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

The death of a child is always a tragedy, but let's put this in perspective, shall we? I mean they WERE palestinian.

poopinmymouth posted:

Is there any difference between this and bracketing + choosing the right exposures?

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

s0meb0dy0 posted:

Is there any difference between this and bracketing + choosing the right exposures?

The idea is metering and then taking one photo versus taking several slightly different photos and picking the one that you think is best.

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

The death of a child is always a tragedy, but let's put this in perspective, shall we? I mean they WERE palestinian.

The idea is metering and then taking one photo versus taking several slightly different photos and picking the one that you think is best.
I get how the process is different, but is the end product any different?

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

s0meb0dy0 posted:

I get how the process is different, but is the end product any different?

You have one photo that is exactly how you wanted it instead of three where one is exactly how you want it but underexposed by two stops and another that is "close enough" because you relied on bracketing instead of your technical skill as a photographer

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Dread Head posted:

Jesus loving christ.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

penneydude posted:

Is this tilt/shifted?

no, i was flying and the jet exhaust might have made it seem that way toward the top.

i have another photo i posted in PAD where i try to take advantage of that.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3163062&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=27#post363791174

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

guidoanselmi posted:

This seriously looks like a railroad miniature set.

penneydude
Dec 31, 2005

guidoanselmi posted:

no, i was flying and the jet exhaust might have made it seem that way toward the top.

i have another photo i posted in PAD where i try to take advantage of that.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3163062&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=27#post363791174

Haha, that's a pretty hilarious way to get a tilt shift effect.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Any goons in France here? I want an aerial photo of the salterns in Guerande.

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM
1/15s f/16.0 at 17.0mm iso125

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
That seriously looks like a Bob Ross painting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Eegah posted:

That seriously looks like a Bob Ross painting.

Bob Ross had a much better understanding of composition and colour theory.