Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dunno
Sep 11, 2003
If only he knew...

guidoanselmi posted:

crossposting an aerial landscape:

I like this a lot.

It reminds me a lot of the Gursky Aerial photos of the formula one track in Bahrain and it also makes an interesting statement about the viability of suburban subdivisions.

Rojethee
Jan 26, 2009

This was a fluke shot taken going 110km down the highway from Whistler to Vancouver.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
Where are all the pics guys??

I went to Taos New Mexico last weekend. I took a bunch of shots at the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge.

brad industry posted:

I think what is interesting to me about these is how they lose the sense of scale and perspective with the dark skies. I would pursue it more along those lines when you're shooting, rather than as an after-the-fact processing thing.
I agree. I shot a few things while in Taos with this in mind. I will try and process them sometime in the next week.

Whitezombi fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 20, 2009

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
pew

pew

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Not really on par with the rest of the thread, but couple of shots from last weekend:

O'riginal
Jul 6, 2004
no images allowed
Fun Shoe
I like the long-exposure look of clouds "streaking" through the sky:

Oh hell, I guess I just favor long exposures in general:

(an island in over-exposed moonlight)

In general, how do you all feel about non-standard-sized openings in mats, when you print your photos? I am usually too lazy to cut my own mats, but I really hate the standard 8x10 format; I prefer 8x12.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

O'riginal posted:

In general, how do you all feel about non-standard-sized openings in mats, when you print your photos? I am usually too lazy to cut my own mats, but I really hate the standard 8x10 format; I prefer 8x12.

This is not particular to landscapes, but if I print something that I really care about I crop it exactly how I want it, and mat and frame to fit that.

Now if I'm giving away some nice shots of various things to relatives and whatnot, I generally just do 8x10 or 11x14 or something standard... but for my personal stuff that I want "right" I just suck it up and get a custom mat and an expensive right sized frame.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Clayton Bigsby posted:

This is not particular to landscapes, but if I print something that I really care about I crop it exactly how I want it, and mat and frame to fit that.

Now if I'm giving away some nice shots of various things to relatives and whatnot, I generally just do 8x10 or 11x14 or something standard... but for my personal stuff that I want "right" I just suck it up and get a custom mat and an expensive right sized frame.

On that note you can normally just get a larger frame and then get/cut a custom matte to fit your photo. Custom mattes are normally pretty cheap.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I'd recommend just cutting your own mats. The few mats you have to throw out because you screw them up won't outweigh the cost savings of doing it yourself. It's really not that hard with a good metal ruler or square angle, a pencil and a bevel cutter.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

Crosspost from PAD. First of the Hurricane Bill photos gathered over the last few days. Managed to get by without losing any shingles or siding so I'm a pretty happy camper.

u got mares in yr house
Feb 23, 2001

This weekend I decided to drive 4 hours so I could wake up at 4am the next day and climb a drat hill. At least something good came out of it (I hope :v:)

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

MrFrosty posted:

This weekend I decided to drive 4 hours so I could wake up at 4am the next day and climb a drat hill. At least something good came out of it (I hope :v:)

Hell loving yes something good came out of it.

I like that second picture especially. The fog, the clouds, the colours, the composition. Everything.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

MrFrosty posted:

That's some killer light, especially on the second one. I'm sure you could make quite a few print sales on either, though. I'd say it was definitely worth the effort.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Here are a few from my recent cross country trip.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

8th-samurai posted:

Holy sweet god drat.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

8th-samurai posted:

Oh my God. Where is this place, and did you have to die to get there?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

jackpot posted:

Oh my God. Where is this place, and did you have to die to get there?

It's just off of I94 in North Dakota. You can see sunflower fields from the highway but have to take a half hour of dirt farm roads to find a decent vantage point. Oh and be willing to stand on the roof of your car.

SiB
May 6, 2005

8th-samurai posted:

It's just off of I94 in North Dakota. You can see sunflower fields from the highway but have to take a half hour of dirt farm roads to find a decent vantage point. Oh and be willing to stand on the roof of your car.

If you don't mind, can you share your editing you did to that sunflower shot?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

SiB posted:

If you don't mind, can you share your editing you did to that sunflower shot?

Sure. I used an antique lightroom preset ( from here http://www.camielschoonens.nl/journal/photography/lightroom-presets/), then cropped square, cranked up the black level to 35, bumped the exposure around a stop and a half to get the mid tones where I wanted them, then used highlight recovery to get back some detail in the sky, then just a bit of sharpening.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

MrFrosty posted:

8th-samurai posted:

Here are a few from my recent cross country trip.

drat guys. Awesome shots.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Whitezombi posted:

You've probably mentioned this before, but what kind of glass are you running for most of these shots? I really like your landscape work.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

man thats gross posted:

You've probably mentioned this before, but what kind of glass are you running for most of these shots? I really like your landscape work.

Thanks. All of these were shot with the Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS kit lens. I'm replacing it tomorrow with the Tamron 17-50 2.8 - can't wait!

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

8th-samurai posted:

Do you remember passing this thing? (cross posted from snapshots thread)

We have lots of sunflower fields out here. Here is a more recent one that I shot:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

wandler20 posted:

Do you remember passing this thing? (cross posted from snapshots thread)

Yes but it was dark. I drove from Woodville WI to Glendive MT in one day.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Whitezombi posted:

Thanks. All of these were shot with the Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS kit lens. I'm replacing it tomorrow with the Tamron 17-50 2.8 - can't wait!

That's awesome. Nothing like making great work with a kit lens.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Radbot posted:

That's awesome. Nothing like making great work with a kit lens.

Yeah, colour me surprised. I still want an ultra-wide though. :v:

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

I think it's a pretty decent lens for the price. I just needed something faster. I'm going to get a 10-22 next.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

man thats gross posted:

Yeah, colour me surprised. I still want an ultra-wide though. :v:

I've got the Sigma 10-20 for my D300 and it's pretty awesome. It's actually pretty sharp, and a great deal.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Radbot posted:

I've got the Sigma 10-20 for my D300 and it's pretty awesome. It's actually pretty sharp, and a great deal.

I haev the same setup and also used the sigma 10-20 on my old D50. The range is awesome and it is REALLY wide but it does get some pretty crazy distortion and for it to be reasonably sharp you need to stop down to atleast f8 which you are probably going to be doing for landscapes anyways.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I think I might be doing it wrong. lately I prefer to use my 85mm on landscapes and my 20mm on portraits.

Curufin
Oct 6, 2003

Guardian of the Blind
Eidi, Faroe Islands

Kolsoy, Faroe Islands

Glencoe, Scotland

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
God drat, those are all hot fire.

First is by far my favorite.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
There's some really phenomenal work in this thread, especially the stuff on this page from 8th-samurai and MyFrosty!

8th-samurai posted:

I think I might be doing it wrong. lately I prefer to use my 85mm on landscapes and my 20mm on portraits.

Your first instinct with a landscape is to go wide, but it's pretty challenging to fill a frame that big and still have an interesting composition. Using a telephoto to pick out and isolate the interesting stuff is where it's at. When I use my 12-24, it's usually to get a bunch of poo poo that's close up (as in, several feet away).

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Some from tonight.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

crossposting one.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

guidoanselmi posted:

crossposting one.

Is that photo from one of the LA fires, by any chance?

e: Nevermind, caught this photo (and others) in PAD. I can see the station fire up in the mountains from my house. In the morning, it was smoking hard. At night, the ridge of the mountain is just completely on fire; the fire outlines the shape of the mountain, which is pretty beautiful in its own eerie way, despite its endless rampage... I think at least 5500 acres so far? :(

krnhotwings fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Aug 30, 2009

slearch
Dec 10, 2006

Couple of a corn field South of Ottawa

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.

slearch posted:

Maybe it's because I see cornfields a lot, but I don't feel as if there is anything interesting going on in these. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

slearch posted:

These are shot at the wrong time of day, it looks like mid day sun which is very unflattering. Try to shoot around sunrise or sunset, the light will be softer and have a nice colour. Alternatively you can wait for a stormy overcast day and get some nice storm clouds.