Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
There's some really phenomenal work in this thread, especially the stuff on this page from 8th-samurai and MyFrosty!

8th-samurai posted:

I think I might be doing it wrong. lately I prefer to use my 85mm on landscapes and my 20mm on portraits.

Your first instinct with a landscape is to go wide, but it's pretty challenging to fill a frame that big and still have an interesting composition. Using a telephoto to pick out and isolate the interesting stuff is where it's at. When I use my 12-24, it's usually to get a bunch of poo poo that's close up (as in, several feet away).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

evensevenone posted:

if you click and go to the flickr page, down on the right it will tell you what kind of camera they used, and there's a link that will show the full data embedded in the image that will tell you everything (unless it's been removed)

or if they shot film :cool:

Curufin posted:

Yeah, Iceland is a loving beautiful place to visit. Pretty expensive, though.

I was so close to going last year when their bank failed, there was a simultaneous deal on airfare/hotel but I passed on it. I really shouldn't have, I've wanted to go for ages and it likely won't be that cheap again

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

man thats gross posted:

A few more shots from Tibet. I've been procrastinating doing any post on these forever.

You should post a trip report, I'm interested to hear about it. I've only been as close as Qinghai, my Chinese friends wanted to go to Tibet but thought they would die of altitude sickness or something, so we didn't go :-\

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

octane2 posted:

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM
2.5s f/11.0 at 40.0mm iso100

Click the images to view them on a black background so shadow detail is revealed.

H

That's a great shot, worth the set-up/wait.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Momonari kun posted:

Just got back from China and am wondering what to do with these shots from the Great Wall. The weather was really rainy and while some shots have a good atmosphere to them, some are just plain hazy. I'm not really sure what I need to do in post to get rid of the color cast in them.

The second to last one is the most atmospheric, but the haze is mostly annoying in the other ones. Even if it wasn't rainy the generic air pollution haze can be kinda bad around Beijing and other big cities (actually, right after a big rain is the best time to take photos in those sort of conditions).