Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Man, even though they're not as good as poop's (or the others in this thread), I'm itching to get some of my Iceland pictures processed and posted after we just got back last week. Unbelieveable country, and some kind of crazy geologist wonderland.

I really love that last one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

I'm not sure if it's too much crossover with the post-processing thread, but if anyone has some general tutorials (or just straight-up tips) for single exposure and multiple exposure landscape post-processing, I'd love to see them.

I'm not an experienced Photoshop user, but I've started dabbling after covering some basics in a photography course.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Peggy's Cove in Nova Scotia, Canada. Feedback welcome, babby's first (well, first couple of months) post-processing here.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Thanks to everyone for the feedback about my excessive, newbie use of colour in the Peggy's Cove photo. Hopefully babby's second post processing effort looks a bit better.

This is the Hverir mud pots of the Lake Myvatn region of Iceland. Amazing country, we honeymooned there and I only wish I was a better photographer to have better captured it, instead of flicking through shots that didn't work and thinking about what might have been.

I'll slowly be adding Iceland shots to the Flickr gallery, but I only have this one done for now.

Piquai Souban fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 2, 2009

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Another one from Iceland, just outside of Skaftafell National park near/virtually on a glacier.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

In the summer, it's pretty much a bunch of fantastic landscape shots stitched together over an entire country/sub-continent - at least along the coast as we travelled.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Not sure if the foreground is too dark, or if that helps create an interesting contrast.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

We went early July for our honeymoon and did a self-driven tour of the ring road around the coast, which we'd recommend as the best time and way to see the country. The warmest day was probably around 20-25 degrees celsius, and the coldest day was around 8 degrees celsius. That doesn't count it being a bit chillier when we were hanging around the glacier or the area with the icebergs you see in that shot. A bit of information about that Jökulsárlón spot for anyone who cares (especially James Bond/Batman movie buffs http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%B6kuls%C3%A1rl%C3%B3n) - it really is huge and amazing.

As far as daylight goes, because of the time of year, I don't think we saw a whole lot of night. Usually, we'd start driving around 0800 and pull into our farmhouse (http://www.farmholidays.is/ -> we stayed in some interesting and affordable spots) around midnight, and it was still reasonably light out. That made it hard to shoot right at sunset and sunrise, but it's not like the sun is directly overhead for that long stretch of day - there's still a LOT of interesting light.

I strongly encourage you to book those tickets for the summer, check out the rest of that Flickr set for a sense of how varied the landscape really is. Sorry for the travel forum interlude. :)

Photo note: the hardest part of that shot was waiting for the random dude to wander into position without giving him the sense I was watching him like a hawk, or otherwise creeping him out. Thanks for the compliments BTW, I still feel like a pretty rank amateur compared to the amazing work around here.

Piquai Souban fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Nov 28, 2009

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

I'm planning a trip to New Zealand right now: would love to hear about any off-the-beaten path photo spots you or other Kiwi goons may have to recommend. We're looking at spending a couple of days in the North Island, and then renting a camper van and touring the South Island based out of Queenstown. :)

Will save this thread from a derail, and point to the NZ thread in the Travel forum.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3217913

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

I've got a trip to New Zealand pending, and I'm strongly considering getting some neutral density or GND filters to help with landscapes. What intensity of f-stop-reduction filters should I be targetting? What do you guys find most useful in your kit bags?

I've got the standard focal ranges covered pretty well, was probably going to get this for my Canon 10-22 over my Tamron 17-50, would love to get some tips from you landscape pros.

Piquai Souban fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 13, 2010