Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
Superb shots, Dread Head. Beautiful light, expertly captured. Nice processing, too.

Here's one from me. Not the best one out of the collection, but, shows a different perspective on landscapes.

I think spring and autumn, especially, are the best times of the year, to go to bathe in the resplendent colours that New Zealand has to offer.

I made this image whilst trekking along the Arrow River.

I traipsed back and forth looking for a good spot to shoot other subjects, when I came upon this little clearing, under beautifully-filtered light, which made way for more shrubs, trees, and dead wood.

To my eye (and mind), there is an incredible depth to this image, which has been enhanced in a subtle fashion through post-processing (of which there wasn't much). But, I think it is mainly the bent tree, leading off into the clearing which creates the effect. Keen-eyed observers will note the beautiful red foliage peering through the central-background region. They add another highlight to the image.

Let your eye wonder into each zone of the image; note the textures, shapes, and colours; then try to piece the whole scene together afterwards and imagine what I saw: that the colours and texture tell the dreamy tale of autumn.

Unfortunately, white/bright backgrounds on the web seem to ruin images and fine details get washed out, especially in landscapes. Best appreciated on a dark (black) background.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM
1/2s f/16.0 at 31.0mm iso100

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
20s f/16.0 at 55.0mm iso100

octane2 fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 20, 2009

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
10s f/16.0 at 17.0mm iso100

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
2s f/16.0 at 17.0mm iso100

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
1s f/16.0 at 17.0mm iso100

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
4s f/22.0 at 17.0mm iso100

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
1/15s f/16.0 at 17.0mm iso125

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
fenner,

That is an absolute stunner of an image. This image would also work if the sun was out of frame (so long as the subject/composition was right/tight), thanks to the beautiful highlights caused by first light.

Well done!

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
Eegah, thanks! I am inspired by neoclassical painting and strive to achieve a painting-like quality to my images. So, a greater compliment, I couldn't ask for!

Eegah posted:

That seriously looks like a Bob Ross painting.

I've never claimed to be a great landscape photographer, nor have delusions of grandeur when it comes to composition or colour theory. However, my intended purpose was fulfilled in someone remarking about the painting-like quality to the image, regardless of crap composition and whatever else. I appreciate your critique, nonetheless.

Reichstag posted:

Bob Ross had a much better understanding of composition and colour theory.

Hey, poop. Thanks for the comment and critique. You've seen some of my other stuff, and, you'll note that most of the time I do follow the rule of thirds, and, this shot still follows it, albeit loosely, with the mountains. This shot wasn't premeditated or planned, and is far from my best effort. I was simply walking along a track, enjoying the scenery and thought I'd snap something I'd not encountered before. I thought it was rather interesting flora. A lot of my other images are planned, this one wasn't. :) Again, I appreciate the critique, and, it's something I can strive for on another shoot. Cheers!

poopinmymouth posted:

To give some advice rather than be insultingly snarky. Why do you have the red bush, and the mountains (the two most eye-drawing points) in the dead center? If you were to back up a tad, and move to one side, you could make the bush a bit smaller, put it in the bottom left thirds point, and the mountain in the top right point. I think having the bush abnormally large and stretched by the wide angle is hurting the readability of the photo, and having the focal points centered is also dissorienting.

Bob Ross would also never give someone a critique like Reichstag did. He was about making art enjoyable, fun, and approachable to everyone. In short, he wasn't a dick.

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
So the photograph is horrible. I understand that. I thought I'd try something different. That's the beauty of experimenting, especially with photography, if it doesn't work out, you can try something else another time.

Not every photo everyone takes is going to be everyone's cup of tea. I thoroughly appreciate your critique and will endeavour to post worthy photographs. Feel free to pull them apart as it will only assist me the next time I decide to press the shutter. Cheers.

Having said that, the print looks great. I may never get a request for a print, however, I am content with looking at it on my wall and remembering that gorgeous day along Lake Diamond.

brad industry, I agree with you re: rule of thirds. It's not the be-all-and-end-all of anything.

Twenties Superstar posted:

This is pointing fingers: I'm glad that you're trying to make your photos look painterly with your expensive camera body, octane2, but you should know that a bad painting is about as critically valuable as a bad photograph.

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
Thank you, krackmonkey.

Will post more soon.

krackmonkey posted:

These are gorgeous, rich in color and very beautifully composed.

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
Gullous,

Spot on. If you click the original image it goes into a little detail about where it was taken.

In general, however, it's taken from the viewing platform of the gondola ride which overlooks Queenstown. It's a beautiful place.

Cheers.

Gullous posted:

Is that New Zealand? You always see that vista on cameralabs.com.

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
Here's a few more from me...

1/100s f/5.6 at 17.0mm iso400

1s f/16.0 at 17.0mm iso100 (crop from full frame)

H

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
Cheers for the compliments re: my waterfall image.

Here's a couple more to open my New Zealand, 2010 - Part 1 campaign.

Ohau Falls are found approximately 30 km north of the beautiful seaside township of Kaikoura.

You might think, "another waterfall". But, that's just it -- this place isn't just a placeholder for another waterfall. What makes this place special is the presence of colonies of baby seals -- the pool that has formed under the falls is a nursery and playground for these little critters. They make their way up from the ocean to play away from any natural predators (there are whales off the coast of Kaikoura) whilst mum and dad are out fishing and capturing meals. These beautiful little creatures are inquisitive, curious and just don't sit still. They are happy to come right up to you and give you cute glances which make you want to reach out and touch them.

I made this image under some interesting lighting conditions -- the image was made about an hour and-a-half prior to sunset. The falls and pool are nestled in a rainforest area; once the sun gets on the west of the mountain it gets dark, very quickly. I waded out into the water making sure I wasn't getting in the seals' way or intruding too much, to get a little extra reach in order to frame the scene as I had anticipated. I kept having to dry my circular polarizer as the splashes from the little ones doing their thing kept getting spray on the camera.

RAW blend for water and shadowed regions.

2s f/11.0 at 40.0mm iso100

The first rays of dawn begin to ignite Mount Tasman and Mount Cook, approximately 20 km in the distance, whilst the crystal clear steely mirror image is reflected on the calm and tranquil waters of Lake Matheson.

I almost thought that this morning would be a write off as there was an enormous amount of mist and low-lying cloud blocking the view. Just as I thought it was all over, the clouds seemed to disperse right before first light.

This image was made on an incredibly cold morning.

Note the first rays on all the tallest peaks and the waterfall in the distance.

2.5s f/11.0 at 40.0mm iso100

Click the images to view them on a black background so shadow detail is revealed.

H

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
As the sun relinquishes for another day, it does so with a glorious goodbye. On this particular Saturday afternoon, it left me with some of the most amazing light I have ever witnessed. The heavens were to open above Sydney not 30 minutes after this image was made.

Made off some of the finest coastline Sydney has to offer.

2s f/16.0 at 17.0mm iso100

Click the image to view it on a black background.

H

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
Cheers, rockcity!

rockcity posted:

^^^
That picture is gorgeous. There's so much going on in a good way.

Thanks!

Pompous Rhombus posted:

That's a great shot, worth the set-up/wait.

;)

JaundiceDave posted:

:drat:

Agreed, IM. I'll go through my RAWs and see if there's any images of the little guys. I do have HD video footage of them swimming around, though.

Interrupting Moss posted:

The waterfall is a nice exposure, but it would be nice if it had something to do with the seals you mentioned.

The mountain sunrise, though, has all the pieces. Excellent.

Fantastic.

Leviathor,

Couldn't agree with you more, re: that annoying cloud. I didn't actually do the burning in Photoshop, I tried underexposing within Digital Photo Professional itself and blending it in. The next time I load the image, I'll blend in the reflected cloud image. That should do the trick.

Leviathor posted:

Echoing others, this is a really great image, but please, please, please do not burn blown highlights: it ruins the image. A little trick, especially for reflections, is to copy, invert, paste, and blend in some detail. Also, a bit of vignetting added in your favorite RAW editor and overlayed on a duplicate exposure can sometimes salvage detail without compromising highlights, but keep those whites white.

H

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
Cheers, BOE. I am currently working on my own site (finally get my rear end into gear) to promote my little photography business. All these images will be available for purchase as prints on there. In the meantime, feel free to visit my deviantART page for astrophotography and landscapes.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Another utterly fantastic photo, Octane2. The cloud that's being illuminated reminds me of a famous painting that I cannot place at the moment and the 2s exposure time adds to effect by making the water look like a painting as well.

Do you have a portfolio or Flickr? The work you've posted here is quite amazing.

Thanks! In general I try and do as little as possible processing; I let the camera and grads do the work. The post processing on this image involved correcting the white balance, adding a smidgin (it was either 8% or 10%) of saturation (through a vibrance layer that was luminance masked), high-pass filter for subtle sharpening, and blending in the reddish clouds in the darker regions via a layer which was 2/3rds of a stop over-exposed -- A RAW blend from the one file.

An observer posted:

Son of a bitch, my jaw literally dropped when I scrolled past this. How much postwork do you usually do on your stuff?

Cheeky! But, seriously, I do have to thank you for introducing me to this beautiful location. I had read Brent's review of it a while back but never went. It's very peaceful out there, especially considering that Sydney proper is literally behind you.

fenner posted:

I know octane2 in real life and I let him know about this location, hes a worthless photographer who just steals other peoples locations! :angel:

H

octane2 fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 11, 2010

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
Here's some more from New Zealand, autumn, 2010.

Click the images to view them on a black background for shadow detail and contrast.

Come, Quench My Thirst
On a cold and frosty morning, first light bathes the scene as a lonesome wave comes crashing onto the shoreline of Lake Wanaka.

My thirst is endeavouring to capture that special light. Whether it's starlight in the form of tiny pinpoint stars (astrophotography), or the starlight of our precious Sun at sunrise and sunset.

1/10s f/16.0 at 40.0mm iso800

Alta Martianscape
A relatively tiring climb up The Remarkables leads one to Lake Alta; a 500m by 250m body of water nestled between the peaks of The Remarkables. Unfortunately, the scene was rather barren due to low-lying mist which covered the peaks surrounding the lake and therefore made it rather unphotogenic.

A short climb away, however, was a rather more inviting scene.

Here, I've captured the last glimpses of sunlight as our star settles in for the evening whilst loose moraine and beautiful tussock covers the exposed rockface.

Fingers numb, upper lip frozen, intense shivering, the surrounding red and grey -- it made me think of what sunset would be like on Mars.

3.2s f/16.0 at 17.0mm iso200

Orange Marmalade Skies
Lake Wanaka and environs just prior to Sol making its way into the sky.

2.5s f/16.0 at 40.0mm iso100

I hope I've made these rocks sexy.

H

octane2 fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 11, 2010

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
BOE,

They are all wonderful, but, for me, the first one's a cracker. Well done.

Not too enthusiastic on the composition in the second one; the trees jutting out from the bottom somewhat hurt the flow.

Last one's great.

H

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Here's a few mountain shots from a hike I took the other day. I attempted to eliminate some of the haze from the mountains in post, but there's not a ton you can about it. Depressingly enough my circular polarizing filter was waiting for me in the mail when I got home. Not sure if they do much to help haze though.

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
IM,

Love this set, very nice.

Images 3, 4 and 5 in particular are standouts. Excellent use of contrast to draw the eye around the scene.

Would love to see location 2 at sunrise/sunset with a slightly different composition; perhaps the entire foreground be filled with water.

Excellent set!

H

Interrupting Moss posted:

Hi dorks.

So many awesome photos here lately.

Valles Caldera.

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
Click the images to view them on a black background (easier on the eyes).

Solstician Belt of Venus
OK, well, not precisely on Solstice, but, it'll do.

Captured within minutes of the sun disappearing, the beautiful Belt of Venus over the horizon, heralds the onset of nightfall.

The long exposure has subdued large splashy waves, a few minutes before high tide.

Made somewhere along a lovely spot on the southern coast of NSW.

3.2s f/16.0 at 17.0mm iso400

The Gates of Dusk
Lake Wanaka and its environs are like something out of a fantasy dreamscape.

I was on my way back from a tiring trek through Rob Roy Glacier, which was somewhat of a disappointment as there were very little photographic opportunities due to weather. When this fiery spectacle appeared before me, the disappointment of the uneventful and long day vanished in an instant.

An unexpected reward for a failure. Love it.

3.2s f/16.0 at 17.0mm iso400

H

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
Click the image to view it on a black background (easier on the eyes).

Healing Garden
Soft light gently falls through the canopy, filters through medium density fog, and onto this ordered array of bare trunks.

I made this image whilst trekking through the Great Otway National Forest, in Victoria.

1.3s f/16.0 at 40.0mm iso160

H

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
Stellarium and Cartes du Ceil are a couple of good freebies. You can add custom databases to both.

I use Starry Night Pro Plus 6, and TheSky6 for all my astrophotographic composition, framing and planning. Lately, I've also been using Skytools 3 Pro as it provides me information as to the optimum exposure duration per filter on a given target based on the optical instrument and CCD that I'll be using, as well as the selected object's altitude in the sky; which takes into account scattering and atmospheric extinction.

H

TheAngryDrunk posted:

I found another really cool app in case anyone is interested in this topic.

http://www.stellarium.org/

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
BeastOfExmoor, you've been posting some grand work. I love saturated colours, personally, and didn't mind the first post of your stitched panorama. The second is more true to life, but, meh, it's art -- I prefer to think of landscape photography as a way to get away from reality.

DreadHead, excellent images as per the norm.

Click the images to view them on a black background (easier on the eyes).

Healing Garden
Soft light gently falls through the canopy, filters through medium density fog, and onto this ordered array of bare trunks.

I made this image whilst trekking through the Great Otway National Forest, in Victoria.

1.3s f/16.0 at 40.0mm iso160

Stream in Tutuko
Late afternoon sunlight illuminates submerged rocks in a stream in the Tutuko Valley in Milford Sound.

Typically, this region would be wet, but, after having experienced the heaviest rain in a decade, the entire valley was full of streams, creeks and rivers which made trekking a lot of fun! Light was fading quickly, and I had a couple of hours to get back to my lodge for the evening, so I packed up, turned around and headed back straight after having nabbed this image.

Note, this was an attempt at an abstract piece. Some feel it works, others don't. I tend to liken it to a kind of zen garden.

4s f/16.0 at 36.0mm iso200

Milford by Moonlight
Milford Sound captured moments after our satellite had reached full status.

In this 16-minute exposure, we can see streaking clouds, misty spray (to the right) caused by the full force of Lady Bowen Falls, Mitre Peak to central left, the Elephant and the Lion are centre right; nestled between these two is my favourite waterfall -- Stirling Falls.

To give you an idea as to the sheer scale of the landscape presented in this composition, Stirling Falls is at least 8 kilometres (approximately 5 miles) away.

RAW blend for clouds.

960s f/8.0 at 17.0mm iso400

In the Hooker Valley
Mid-afternoon trek through the Hooker Valley.

In the distance, the tallest mountain in New Zealand, Mount Cook, stands proud at 3754 metres (12316 feet).

1/30s f/16.0 at 17.0mm iso100

Cut sick, let me have it. Tell me what sucks and what can be improved upon.

H

octane2 fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 29, 2010

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
DH,

Nice, you caught anti-crepuscular rays along the Belt of Venus. Very cool.

H

Dread Head posted:

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
The Cloud Piercer Rests

Click image(s) to view on black background.

Aoraki the Cloud Piercer (Mount Cook) imaged moments after the sun had set off the west coast of New Zealand. You can see the last light illuminating the top third of Aoraki.

I have never scampered up a mound or a hill composed of loose morraine as fast as I did this evening in the freezing cold to capture the last few rays of light bathing this almost mythical place.

Aoraki is the tallest mountain in New Zealand, standing about 3.8 km tall. I wish to climb it some day.

1.3s f/16.0 at 40.0mm iso400

Moonrise and Field
I had never been further west across New South Wales, than, say, Wagga Wagga. However, a few weeks ago, I decided to go for a drive out to the country to see what lay there insofar as inspiring landscapes to photograph. I quickly realised that once you get passed Darlington Point along the Sturt Highway, it just gets flat. Very flat.

On this particular afternoon, it was very foggy and quite overcast. I was hoping to come across a state forest or national park where I could do some long exposure spooky and dramatic misty fog images. Fail.

Driving on, about an hour before sunset, I noticed a thin orange glow on the horizon. It was clearing. But, the problem was, that the landscape was rather uninspiring and flat.

I finally got out into clear skies as the sun began to set. Dropping speed, I frantically sought out anything I could grab and came upon this area out near Hay. The overcast conditions must have dumped quite a fair amount of rain and it went on like this for kilometres.

This is definitely far from the greatest image I've ever made, but, I'm quite fond of the Belt of Venus as it's one of my favourite subjects to image, as well as the positioning of the Moon, and the subtle colouring in the grasses in the foreground.

5s f/16.0 at 24.0mm iso100

Comments, critique, etc., most welcome.

H

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
Hi Cross_,

No tonemapping was applied to any of my images in this megathread.

My workflow: Digital Photo Professional for initial edits which get me about 75-80% of the way, and the final touches are applied in Photoshop.

Cheers.

H

Cross_ posted:

I quite like the second shot. Not much going on, but the color palette is very soothing. The first one just seems off to me- it looks poorly tonemapped with lots of contrast in the foreground but not in the back; I am really surprised it's a single exposure.

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
Nothing to do with the lens or camera.

It's all to do with the quality of light.

And, a little bit of post.

Landscapes shot in the middle of the day under glaring sunlight are waiting to board the failboat.

Capture your images in the right light, and, you'll be surprised at how very little you have to do in post.

H

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
Click image(s) to view on black background, avoid burning your retinas, and appreciate shadow detail.

In a Fairy Tale World
Once upon a time...

A glimpse of Hopetoun Falls in the Great Otway National Park, Victoria.

Scenes such as this take me away from the drudgery of every day life in the concrete jungle.

Locations such as this remind us that there's immense natural beauty on our doorstep just waiting to cleanse us.

Softly diffused light stifled through fog has aided me in making this image.

3.2s f/16.0 at 40.0mm iso100

Four's a Conjunction!
Well, OK, technically it's two for a conjunction, any more is massing...

Venus, Saturn, Mercury and Mars (and a few stars) put on a little light show as part of the conjunction of August 8th, 2010.

Venus is the brightest planet in the overall picture. Saturn is just to the right of Venus, and Mars is the bright planet above Venus. This trio forms a triangle. Finally, Mercury can be found as the brightest planet just above the brightest clouds.

The very subtle cone of illumination leading up to Venus is zodiacal light.

Shot half-way between nautical and astronomical twilight, somewhere between Manar and Braidwood, New South Wales.

30s f/5.6 at 17.0mm iso3200

H

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
HR,

This is superb -- I love everything about this.

Goes to show what good quality of light can do for an image.

H

Hotwax Residue posted:

Wow! Love the light!

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
H R,

Supreme, sir. You are good at this craft.

H

Hotwax Residue posted:

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
Click image(s) to view on black background, avoid burning your retinas, and appreciate shadow detail.

An Inner Sanctum
Nature invites you to her inner sanctuary; a place of grace and majesty.

Great Otway National Park, Victoria.

2s f/16.0 at 33.0mm iso250

Rocky Pathways
Boulders and a rock shelf protrude out from under streaking waves as they crash and recede in front of me.

Captured moments after sunset at a gorgeous location north of Sydney.

4s f/16.0 at 17.0mm iso400

The Drapery Falls
After experiencing the heaviest rain in ten years, this past April, the waterways of the South Island of New Zealand were abundant; creeks and streams overflowing, and waterfalls pouring freely; you'd think there was a neverending water supply.

Presented here is the base of the magnificent Matai Falls in the lush dense temperate rainforest of the The Catlins on the south coast of the South Island.

2.5s f/11.0 at 33.0mm iso200

H

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
Ah, you guys got me! The awesome wordsmith that I am, I secretly want to be remembered more for my literary impressions and footnotes than my photos.

As long as the cheese factor and my less impressive droppings are consistent, I'll take both your comments in the positive and continue to share both into the future.

BYO wine.

Thanks, gents.

spf3million posted:

You get the award for inducing in me the biggest eye rolls out of anyone here for your commentary and captions but I'll be damned if you don't always consistently post awesome photos.

quazi posted:

That third image is solid gold, but the post above me is spot on.. You need to start selling prints at art festivals. Between the excellent imagery, and the bone-crushingly cheesy captions, you'd make millions.

octane2 fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Nov 17, 2010

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
Yessum? (I was being facetious!)

unixbeard posted:

hum?

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
Aye. ;)

unixbeard posted:

do you know rax and those guys?

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
Sage advice.

You'll find that even on those off days where the weather and light is poo, you may still come home with something.

Due to La Nina, we've been having some spectacular sunsets her in Canberra. I have been going up a mountain lookout 4-5 days a week in the hope of getting the shot. I've managed to come home with a shot, even though the sunset promised much but delivered naught.

Also, brilliant use of monochrome, in that image. Love your work (as commented previously).

Hotwax Residue posted:

In saying that, I've got some good shots just by being out and making the most of what I can find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
Haven't posted in a while. Hope you enjoy.

This Coastline
The Belt of Venus beckons nightfall off the coast of a location north of Sydney.

1.3s f/16.0 at 17.0mm iso400

Conceiving You
A sneak peak of the three tiers of Purakanaui Falls at dusk.

5s f/11.0 at 40.0mm iso200

Aerial - I
Gentle morning light radiates throughout the Mackenzie Basin on the South Island of New Zealand. The sun was at an altitude of just 11.3 degrees at the time this image was made, which provides for the softness in the quality of light prevalent in the image.

In the distance is the beautiful turquoise Lake Tekapo. Lake Tekapo has a surface area of roughly 83 square kilometres and sits approximately 700 metres above sea level.

The lake is being fed by the pristine glacial Godley River, seen in the image proper, as a network of braided twists and knots. The water in the lake has flowed 30 kilometres south from the Mount Cook region in the Southern Alps.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
1/100s f/10.0 at 105.0mm iso320

H