Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I went and saw some graffiti in the desert. The lighting is harsh and I am learning my new R8 (the camera has never been the problem).

This panel is huge. The dark one on the right is about 8 feet tall for reference. The details when punched in are fantastic.

It had rained a few days prior so there were some puddles in the shaded areas.

On a second hike that day (with us notching 11.7 miles total) I had a look at some windows

Then took in the scenes outside the windows.

Bottom Liner posted:

some favorites from the Grand Canyon rim to river via South Kaibab

I aspire to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Antelope Island, the Great Salt Lake.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

xzzy posted:

Are you local to salt lake? I get to stop around there for a night next month and I've seen mention that the bugs get completely unbearable late May.

But a sunset reflection or patterns in the salt flats sounds like fun to shoot.

Yes! Born/raised and still residing. You are correct that the bugs are AWFUL. Permethrin treated clothing and picaridin, and honestly that time of year a full on face net would be needed. This weekend we got wrecked by the bugs where we first started (south east side). These were on the west side (white rock beach) and it was not too bad and we got ourselves a good hour or so before the bugs showed up to that side.

There are so many incredible places you can go in late May. You are going to have a difficult time deciding where to go. Plenty of options though, if you want some suggestions on stuff to do based on your interests just ask.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

huhu posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but Bonneville Salt Flats is generally bug free whereas Antelope Island is miserable.

If you make it far enough south for Goblin Valley, you should keep going to Moon Overlook Road. Go watch the sunset there. Also, 38°23'58.7"N 110°47'30.4"W is nearby and awesome too. First 3 photos below are Moon Overlook Road, last one is the GPS coordinates.

And honestly, just keep going south, I'll give you more destinations.

These are excellent. I went last year and checked out the Bentonite Hills after I went to Swing Arm City to record a video of an RC car I was testing. It was unfortunately the absolute middle of the day with the harshest light possible. I did not have filters for my drone but I still put it in the air. I just got some ND filters and a polarizer I have not tried out just yet. Hoping I can get some good shots with it.

I have been plinking away at some of the other photos I took at Antelope. There are spots on this island that could be Middle Earth. I was absolutely stoked on seeing the fluffy cows. I did not realize just how many bugs were in some of the photos and thought I had a dirty lens at first and started pixel peeping.

White Rock Beach namesake

I currently only have a 24-70 lens. Next purchase is going to be a 70-200 2.8. After that I think I would like an 85 or 100 macro.