Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008
I really love the water in all of your landscapes. I think that the water is generally more calm and clear there and I am very jealous.

Landscape photography in my opinion is about 40% willingness to go to difficult locations, 40% post processing and about 20% actual photography knowledge. I could be wrong though I tend to over process a lot of my photos compared to Dread. For me anyway, it is more about getting outdoors and enjoying the scenery first hand, and if you get a good photo then that is just a bonus. Also the weather network is your friend, take into account wind speed and how quickly the clouds will be moving. I tend to prefer a windy day as conditions can change quickly and you can get a lot of different skies out of a short window of time.

Some winter photos because I haven't really been out this summer yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

Kazy posted:

How much post did you do on this one? I've really only got one sunset picture I enjoy, however I'm pretty rusty on sunsets. I know to expose for the sky near the sun, but that's really it.

Well sunsets will almost always require two exposures, one for the sky and one for the foreground. That photo was 3 shots I believe. One for the sky and a dark and light foreground exposure. Instead of dodging and burning I layered a lighter foreground on the dark one and just masked it in where the photo needed to be brightened up. Aside from that just some sharpening and some cloning and desaturating to get rid of the lens flares.

Here is an example of what happens when you try to be lazy and "create" your second sky exposure in camera RAW.

As you can see, there is a bright aura above the sun that is pretty ugly. If that had been two exposures the sun would look nice and defined against the sky without that blotching.

whaam fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jul 15, 2009

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

ElZilcho posted:

Sugarloaf Rock in South West of Western Australia

This is a really great shot, with some nice post-processing it would be mind blowing.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

Crosspost from PAD. First of the Hurricane Bill photos gathered over the last few days. Managed to get by without losing any shingles or siding so I'm a pretty happy camper.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

SKULE123 posted:

Peggy's Cove in Nova Scotia, Canada. Feedback welcome, babby's first (well, first couple of months) post-processing here.

Definately tone down the saturation. Peggy's Cove is a hard spot to shoot without getting people in the shot but you just need to go at the right time of day. (Hint: very early or very near sunset).

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

Dread Head posted:

Digging the first one, the contrast of the water against the dark beach with a nice sky. You must be done editing your trip photos if we are seeing rocks again :)

whaam
Mar 18, 2008
Meant to ask you, what do you pack your gear in when backpacking? Do you just take the body and wide angle and pack it in your backpack or something else? I just picked up a medium sized pelican case that should fit body+grip+lens and an extra tele, but drat is it heavy, probably too much so for my pack. The smaller peli's that would hold just the body+lens all seem too shallow to allow for the grip it seems.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

rockcity posted:

Nah, I think you're right, I was shooting at a bit of an angle and wasn't focusing on getting things perfect on the camera. I'll fix that.

Is the sky comp'd in?

Whitezombi posted:

I'm loving all of these canyon shots of yours, especially this one.

Dread Head posted:

Got my rear end out of bed for sunrise this weekend.

I've been too busy to get out in ages, just starting to find some time now just in time for eternal northern darkness :( Might try a sunrise or set this weekend I guess, but waking up in the dark and leaving work in the dark is killing me already and it's only December.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

Dread Head posted:

:drat:

I even think the uneven horizon works on this, it feels natural to see the curvature of the earth when looking such vast distances.

Wubble posted:

Finally got a working tri-pod.

Edit: I reedited the photo a bit, and removed most of the spots the best I could, but most of them were actually rain drops that got on the lens.

Aside from the dirtyness I really like this, especially the funky stuff going on in the foreground.

Got to ease back into this

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

octane2 posted:

Here's a few more from me...

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM
1/100s f/5.6 at 17.0mm iso400

Holy poo poo, loving this.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

Dread Head posted:

Are you using an ND on all of your water shots?

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

Been a long time since I've shot anything, but found a good deal on some new gear and it's given me some motivation. Really liking everything I've been seeing in this thread lately, excited to get back into it.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

Sebastian Flyte posted:

A couple more from Scotland:

Near Gruinard River, Ross-shire.

A puddle somewhere around Yesnaby, Orkney.

Hot drat, both incredible.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

Dread Head posted:

I really need to go to iceland and new zealand.

I'd settle for anywhere with elevation over 50 ft above sea level.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

HookShot posted:

Silverstar by hookshot88, on Flickr

Wow, these are something else.

whaam fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jan 2, 2012

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

Dread Head posted:

This looks like a nice spot but the dark shadows on the rocks are jarring with the smooth beach rocks. It looks like you may have used a mask and if this is the case I would try to bring up the exposure on the rocks that frame the shot or at least even the exposure out between them and the smooth rocks at the bottom.

I was thinking the same thing actually. I had my grad ND a bit low and ended up putting to much on the rocks. I just brought the rocks up as much as I could and burnt/+contrasted the foreground stones a bit. Not ideal but I don't want to push the noise too far in the dark rocks. Thanks

whaam fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 2, 2012

whaam
Mar 18, 2008
I'm having trouble finding subject matter around here that isn't all coastal shots. There just isn't that much interesting stuff where I am that doesn't involve rocks :(

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

Kujaroth posted:

A few from this weekend's escapades:

Dawn at Turimetta by Aztatlan, on Flickr

Sunrise - Turimetta by Aztatlan, on Flickr

La Perouse by Aztatlan, on Flickr

Shipwreck at La Perouse by Aztatlan, on Flickr

C&C welcome.

They are all very pleasing to the eye, the first and third being the strongest in my opinion. Great leading lines in the first, water looks buttery and smooth. The sky in the second one is a little hard on the eyes, a bit too neon. Third has the same great depth as the first and those impressions in the rock almost look like footprints walking towards the background. Last one has a great interesting foreground although with its strong rusty color it kind of dominates the frame. Great stuff and so much more colorful than the drab stuff I'm shooting.

I made a mistake on this one thinking that the little rain run-off in front of me was going to make a significantly interesting foreground. To the eye it was really roaring and looked like it would create a great capture at 20s exposure, unfortunately because of its clarity and the rocks beneath you can barely even see that it's a stream. There was some serious surf and in hindsight I should have gotten a lot closer to the water and made it my point of interest and not the rocky beach or the stream.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

e.pie posted:

Garden of the Gods by FullerFotos.net, on Flickr

Garden of the Gods by FullerFotos.net, on Flickr

First one I love, the colour and comp, trees give it good scale. Second one is beautiful but the shadow in the foreground is a bit stark, unavoidable I'm sure though. Great stuff.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008
What is everyone using for ND/grad setups? I've got a Hoya screw-on ND16 and some cokin P series grads but have been looking for a grad ND in the 100 x 150mm range to be a bit more versatile on the horizon position, the problem is all I see is these Lee kits that start around $500 just for the adapter and 2 filters.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

Gambl0r posted:

My next purchase will absolutely be the Singh-Ray Gold-N-Blue sprocket'ed polarizer... I've had it on my eBay watchlist for a few months and it seems like NOBODY sells them used. Eventually (probably before my next big vacation), I'll suck it up and buy a new one.

I was impressed with the gold-n-blue polarizer myself, but all of those SR are crazy expensive new and I've had zero luck with ebay. The filter I want and need the most is a 150mm+ long GND or reverse GND. The standard Cokin P size I have doesn't have enough glass to set the horizon anywhere but the center of the shot.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

Gambl0r posted:

I hadn't even mounted the Cokin holder on my 5D since buying it a few months ago and you got me worried there for a minute that somehow the filters would not be usable now that I've gone full frame. But even on FF with my widest lens (17mm) I can get a standard P size filter's center line to the top and bottom of the frame. Are you shooting medium format or something?

10mm at the widest, if I move the center line of the cokin GND to the top 1/3rd of the frame I can see the edge of the glass in the bottom 1/3rd. (full frame equiv would be 16mm on this sensor I think)

whaam
Mar 18, 2008
Well the cokin GND worked out ok this morning, but it still is very limited at this length.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

Hezzy posted:

My favourite shot so far. Noticed that there was something wacky going on near the wind farms and there was loads of fog around them. End result;

Misty Walney Windfarms by HezzyUK, on Flickr

Pretty amazing ^

whaam
Mar 18, 2008
X-Post from PAD

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

daemon posted:

Love it, makes me yearn for summer.

X-post from PAD.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

Kujaroth posted:

Love this one, great shot.

Nice stormy and moody morning today:

Mona Vale Tidal Pool by Aztatlan, on Flickr

The Swell by Aztatlan, on Flickr

Have these in B/W in my photostream as well. Not sure which I prefer.

Love that sky

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

RangerScum posted:

Here are some landscapes from my recent trip to Alaska:

Untitled by Myotomy, on Flickr

Loving the whole set but this really stands out.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008
One of my dogs almost fell down a waterfall when I was taking this.. No more dogs invited on photo trips.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

wizard sticks posted:

Three pools just outside of Wolfville NS?

Yeah that's the spot. You in ns?

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

Saint Fu posted:

Reprocessing a photo from last year

_MG_0181-164 by spf3million, on Flickr

Don't know what the original looked like but this is fantastic.

Screwing around with a new body, think I need a proper CPL next.

whaam fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Oct 14, 2012

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

1st AD posted:

Oh man this image is loving awesome. Where is this? Reminds me of the La Jolla cove.

DSC_0690 by chazaraz, on Flickr

Nova Scotia.

Love this surf shot, not crazy about the third but the first two with the surfers are fantastic, great scale, great sky.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

1st AD posted:

Yeah, I couldn't find a good composition in that one but I still love the color of the sky there.

I like your new one - are those pink skies something that's natural or pushed in post? Because if that is real then I need to visit my relatives in Nova Scotia - all those landscapes are breathtaking.

In the first one the sky wasn't pushed aside from a general +5-10ish saturation layer. The second one the sky was pushed a bit further maybe +15-20. I was going to leave it how it was but I felt there was so much green in the foreground that pushing the sky balanced it a bit. I don't know if its pollen or what but usually after the sun breaks the horizon our skies have a very magenta hue most of the time, moreso in the winter, not sure the science behind that though.

I saw Dread Head use his thumb to obscure the sun in a shot once and tried that here but ended up using most of my arm in the right portion of the image to reduce lens glare. Then had another shot of the sun and right side with a grad ND. One thing I don't like about this type of area is those granite rocks are very rough and sharp (to the touch) and even with very minor sharpening in post they end up looking over-sharpened, which isn't the look I was going for.

whaam fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Oct 16, 2012

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

Rot posted:

Early morning sheep herding at 4400m

IMG_2149.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

This is something else. The perspective, the angle, the motion of the grass, and the animals that I didn't even see at first. As someone mentioned earlier, I love seeing "busy" landscapes especially when they draw my eye in like this one. I guess my only critique would be the foreground is overexposed a bit but its so minor I feel silly mentioning it.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

vote_no posted:

Holy poo poo, please tell me how you did that. 10 stop ND filter and exposure stacking?

20s, f/16, 4 stop ND and a soft grad nd handheld, 2 exposures.

I almost left the spot and gave up early because I had my dogs with me (big mistake) and they were leashed up to a rock just behind me, of course this made them decide to howl like they were dying the whole time, right in the middle of a coyote infested area.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

First one is awesome. Are you using a CPL on most of your water shots? You always get such clear transparent water.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

Dread Head posted:

Which is exactly why I have not got the photo in my mind. There is probably a good chance I will never get it. It does not stop me from going out and trying and ending up with something different than what I had in mind. Like you say when it really comes down to landscape photography a lot of just happens to being at a certain place at a certain time. That said when I am out I always keep that idea in my head so if I do find a location that I feel would work and the conditions are not right it is something I can come back to.

This is pretty much what I do too. I'll get an idea in my head about a particular location and every time I see a forecast or sky that appears to be cooperating I'll drive out if I'm available and try for it. Usually if the sky or light or wind or water isn't behaving right then I'll practice a few other compositions and see if I can find a better one for next time. It's enjoyable even when you don't come back with a shot and it makes the final product feel like more of an accomplishment when it does come together in the end.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Yeah, I'm getting into that argument. Everyone on the internet is obsessed with "great light" and I am not really sure what that is anymore.

Think about what you are photographing, why, and what you are trying to say and stop obsessing over perfect light and such things. A lot of people here have perfectly sufficient technical skill but are stuck in an echo chamber and aren't producing much work worth discussing or even viewing. And that should bother you, not just invoke a mad post.

But that's what it'll do.

Theres no need to offend people's work here to make your point, some people take photos because they want to showcase nature and beautiful scenes, not make an artistic statement, and that is just as valid of a use of this medium as what you are talking about. I'll be the first to admit that there isn't a single shot I take that has some emotional meaning or statement behind it, its just a photo of something I thought looked nice enough to share, and I spend just as much time and effort making that photo as does someone who is doing a series of black and white film shots about "the soullessness of our suburbs and the plague of urban sprawl".

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

Don't know how I missed this one. This is a savage photo, I love that hard line from the lights reflection, at first you look at it thinking its unnatural, then after thinking about it for a second it makes sense. The image just oozes atmosphere.

Finally got my CPL but didn't need it this time, nice to have though.

whaam fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whaam
Mar 18, 2008
How am I supposed to shoot a variety of landscapes when the only thing around me is loving rocks. :negative:

whaam fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 6, 2012