Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fenner
Oct 4, 2008
Crosspost with PAD, I tried to do the same treatment on each one, but they came out differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenner
Oct 4, 2008

snowman posted:

Nice shots, I love the water and color. Are you using a neutral density filter on these? I actually have to ask dread head the same question. If you guys are, what brand and how many stops? I have been looking at buying one to slow down day time shooting.

Nope, no ND filter. f/22 on kit lens :dance:. I really need an ND filter though, ND8 is the most common and gets the job done fine I think, but I have no idea about brands.

fenner
Oct 4, 2008
I'm having some trouble, often when I'm shooting landscapes in good light the colors dont come out very vivid/saturated, even shooting at f8, iso 100 on a tripod. Here is an example, I had to boost the hell out of this in photoshop to get something like it was IRL, but it fucks the colors boosting them so much, so they're not as natural. Is this just a limitation of my kit lens?

fenner
Oct 4, 2008

Dread Head posted:

Lets get back on track...

Goddamnit dread, you are the god of landscapes.

fenner
Oct 4, 2008

fenner
Oct 4, 2008

woot fatigue posted:

Landscapes are definitely not my area of expertise, but I'll give it a go with some of the better ones I've taken over the year or so.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bradgillette

Holy. Amazing, this shot is absolutely amazing, if I had money I would actually ask to buy a print from you.

Care to share some post techniques, your shots have a different look to them which I really like but would have no idea how to go about doing it myself.

fenner
Oct 4, 2008
I think the main problem here is that the corn field is hard to focus on, unlike the sunflower(?) field that was posted before were your eyes can focus nicely on the flower heads, the cornfield just looks like a green mush.

fenner
Oct 4, 2008

Whitezombi posted:

This shot is amazing, I stole it for my desktop and everytime I tab to desktop it blows me away. Care to share your processing technique on this masterpiece?

fenner
Oct 4, 2008

Whitezombi posted:

I made a preset that I can email you if you use Lightroom.

[/url]

Would love it :) send it to fenner.no.u@googlemail.com thanks a lot and keep shooting

fenner
Oct 4, 2008

fenner
Oct 4, 2008
Crosspost of some from snapshot thread.

Also which of these do you guys prefer? first one is cloned to hell.

fenner
Oct 4, 2008
Went out and shot some poo poo in moonlight

fenner
Oct 4, 2008
woot, good light for once

fenner
Oct 4, 2008

ConspicuousEvil posted:

I have to say all the shots in this thread are amazing and I am super jealous. Obviously equipment plays a role in some of these pictures, but more to the point is learning what works for particular types of shots. That being said, as a beginning photographer and the owner of only a lowly kit lens how can I make the most of my equipment and setup to take great photos. I've been trying to shoot at the lowest ISO possible, should I reconsider? What would be a good f-stop to use when shooting things from very far away? Should I not bother? Obviously these factors will affect my shutter speed. Is it better to compensate for something underexposed by boosting the in-camera compensation, or just increasing exposure time?

On another note, I'm looking into getting another lens, and the obvious choice is the 50mm f/1.8 because of it's versatility. I'm wondering though how useful it is for landscapes? What would be an ideal lens? What would be the best cost-for-performance lens for landscapes?

Sorry for the crap-ton of questions, I'm just eager and I want to be like you guys!!

I shoot all my landscapes with a kit lens, its really not as bad as you think. Shoot f/8 or f/11 and you'll definitely be fine, although its decent at any aperture if you ask me. If you don't have a tripod already this is what you NEED for landscape photography, itll allow you to use your lowest iso and any aperture you want, since you wont get any blur from long shutters. I also have the 50mm 1.8 and don't really use it at much/at all for landscapes, but I have used it on some rare occasions.

e: let me clarify, you don't NEED a tripod, but it helps a hellova lot

fenner fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Oct 19, 2009

fenner
Oct 4, 2008

ConspicuousEvil posted:

Thanks, the tripod was one of the first things I bought. The pictures I've taken so far (and shared above) have all been at wide apertures and I'm just not happy with them. Especially the shot of the Sandias because they're slightly out of focus and lack detail.

Ah great, well try to shoot at like f/11 then and focus on something in the middle of the scene (go look up hyperfocal distances if you want to do this properly), focusing at infinite may leave some foreground out of focus. If you're really struggling just stop down even further, f16.. f/22 you lose a bit of quality due to how the optics work, but an in focus scene is better than an out of focus scene. But you should definitely be fine at f/8 most of the time shooting wide angle, unless your foreground subject is really loving close.

fenner
Oct 4, 2008
Been messing with shooting panoramas on my 50mm, to make up for it not being wide. Oh its so nice compared to kit lens, no distortion etc.

this one was actually done with the kit lens, still really nice, im loving the detail you can capture by merging images as a panorama

fenner
Oct 4, 2008

omfg its jeff posted:

Looks like a dangerous position to be taking a photo from :)

fenner
Oct 4, 2008
I can't stop making stuff B&W...

fenner
Oct 4, 2008

Zygar posted:

Lake Tekapo and Mt. Cook are both great.

Near Lake Tekapo, en route to Mt. Cook.

Glacial lake near Mt. Cook.

Also, Macetown is apparently pretty good, and while not really off-the-beaten-path, the top of Summit Road in the Port Hills of Christchurch offers some pretty stunning views, especially at night.

Wow, thats a pretty tree :dance:. I think I've seen that panorama of Mt. Cook a couple of times before - its beautiful. :)

fenner
Oct 4, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

Awesome photos.

If this is cheap stuff, i'd be intrigued to see what expensive stuff can do... because holy poo poo did those come out well.

fenner
Oct 4, 2008
Nice shot Reichstag, I wish the perspective would literally just be top-down though.

fenner fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Mar 1, 2010

fenner
Oct 4, 2008

Interrupting Moss posted:

I like this photo. Could you try a square crop? Holding up my hands it looks like it would balance nicely if you centered it to the left a bit.

Found this place randomly in northwest Oklahoma. Color or B&W?

I forgot to throw on the polarizer since my car was going to be towed in 15 minutes and I had to run 1.5 miles down a mountain sooooo

I think they're both nice and it just comes down to preference, although with the color version you can push it further with levels and the WB needs to be cool'd down a little - i think that is what is giving the B&W version the slight edge right now.

fenner
Oct 4, 2008
I don't think the 24 2.8 would give you many more options of your kit lens, kit lens is already sharp around the wide end and is like f/4 at that length too and you will be shooting around f/8 for landscapes mostly anyway. For the same reason I'm going to have to say the 17-35 2.8 probably isnt a good idea either, unless of course you want to go fullframe then its an entire different story. The best options for ultra-wide right now (giving you something new) are the tokina 11-16 2.8 and the sigma 10-20 3.5 but obviously if you do want to go fullframe these are crop only lenses.

fenner
Oct 4, 2008
Some beautiful shots on the last page, heres one from me. ISO 400 and I don't like using noise ninja, deal w/ it.

fenner
Oct 4, 2008
Going much earlier or on a day where the sky is more diffused is definitely the best option you have, I recently took a similar shot to this were it was just ruined thanks to daylight. Otherwise I think the best option is to use a GND filter and just slant it towards the left, of course you could just take an exposure and mask it in too. I find that using ssoftare that automatically creates your HDR, for a scene like this where there are a lot of moving objects, it will probably turn out pretty badly or messy thanks to stuff not aligning up.

Sculptures on a rock!

fenner fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 11, 2010

fenner
Oct 4, 2008

fenner
Oct 4, 2008

rockcity posted:

A couple questions for you landscapers. This July I'm going to be venturing out to the Pacific Northwest and plan to do a lot of photography while I'm out there. Right now I'm shooting on a 40D and my widest lens (aside from my 8mm fisheye) is a 20mm Sigma. I'm weighing my options of either renting a 5D or a wider zoom lens, possibly with an ND filter, for my trip and am wondering what might be the best route to go for this one.

I'm planning on hitting a few national parks and hopefully venturing my way down to Crater Lake in Oregon. Anyone from that area have any suggestions of awesome places to go for hiking/photos?

Do you have to rent? I'm kinda against renting since it just seems like a waste of money to me. But if you have to rent I guess just go for the 5D, why not?

If you can buy then the most used wide angles are the sigma 10-20, tokina 11-16 and canon 10-22. The canon lens is overpriced in my opinion and I would definitely look into the sigma/tokina, I desperately want the tokina myself.

e: another 2

fenner fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 14, 2010

fenner
Oct 4, 2008

Cross_ posted:

That's an awesome action shot. Care to elaborate on what kind of post you did ?

Not a lot, I never really have a plan with post or a certain style that i'm aiming for. Anyway, fuckloads of fill light before opening the file, general curves layer affecting the entire picture, curves luminance mask affecting the darks, vibrance and an unsharp mask.

fenner
Oct 4, 2008

HPL posted:

I went for a walk in the forest today with a 17-50 and an 80-200. While it didn't yield any great photos, it was an interesting exercise in composition in that I found that using the 80-200 forced me to find actual subjects to photograph whereas with the 17-50 I tended to take broader, more sweeping photos that weren't nearly as interesting because they lacked a central focus to make them interesting.

I've tried this by taking my 50mm 1.8 instead of my 18-55 and shooting at the wide end... I never come back with anything I like. It's a possibility I should try this more often to see if it will improve my composition, but I could miss out on some great shots whilst doing it.

fenner
Oct 4, 2008
nicely polished images dread

fenner
Oct 4, 2008

RangerScum posted:

Ahhhh, this is gorgeous! Where is this at??

Thanks, It's the Three Sisters (the three rocks at the left) in the Blue Mountains, Australia.

fenner
Oct 4, 2008

MrBlandAverage posted:

Apparently there are waterfalls in Illinois.

Absolutely fantastic. I think the rock on the left could do with a tiny bit more space, but this is just a nitpick, this is a beautiful landscape.

fenner
Oct 4, 2008
Went to the beach to try capture a storm, it didnt fully develop but still made for some nice dull depressing shots.

Something different, I rarely use shallow dof in any of my shots, so I am trying to experiment incoporating it into my photos and open up more possibilities.

fenner
Oct 4, 2008
Nice Reichstag, always nice to see something different and unique executed well.

fenner
Oct 4, 2008

Thoogsby posted:

Those are all amazing.

Thanks!

I just found this awesome tool and thought some of you would be interested. Basically it shows the direction of the sunrise/sunset/moonrise/moonset overlayed on google maps, along with the time. Makes it nice and easy for judging where the light rays are going to hit before you even go somewhere.

http://stephentrainor.com/tools

fenner
Oct 4, 2008

HPL posted:

Hey fenner, octane2 is calling you out.

I know octane2 in real life and I let him know about this location, hes a worthless photographer who just steals other peoples locations! :angel:

fenner
Oct 4, 2008
Mindblowing landscapes as always octane2.

Interrupting Moss those B&Ws are awesome, they're so well done and have a strong impact.

This shot is the aftermath of getting drenched by the wave, kit lens and d200 have now taken 3 full waves and live strong - love you Nikon :worship:

fenner
Oct 4, 2008

Mannequin posted:

I think you and fenner should try doing long exposures at night, just to change things up a little bit. This guy does a lot of them. (I think he does too many, really.) But it might be a fun thing to try.

I'm a big fan of that guy, I've shot some long exposures at night before but its definitely something I need to try more of. One of the problems is for my gear atleast is that I can only do it for like 5 days a month (around full moon) otherwise the exposures get too long and I don't really like going over ISO 400.

Buy yeah, I'll definitely try some more. When i've tried I haven't been too pleased with the results so its definitely something that has a learning curve.

fenner
Oct 4, 2008
Just thought i'd show this guy off here, his front page of photos are absolutely amazing!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/absolutelynothing/page1/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenner
Oct 4, 2008

Reichstag posted:

Trees of the valley in late fall.

Very good Reichstag.