Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

octane2 posted:

Did you happen to take a shot of this with more sky? I'd like to see the full gradient of the belt.

I don't often get to see the belt of venus.. usually buildings or trees are blocking out a majority of the view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gnomad posted:

So here's my question-is there a filter that will reliably cut out that haze? When the weather gets warm you get a lot of water vapor that hazes up those long views. Or is the secret in post wizardry?

A polarizing filter can help, but you have to know how to use it. Understanding Exposure explains it decently.

I'm gonna have to show those pictures to the wife.. I grew up in Anchorage, been trying to convince her that that's where we want to settle. She hates snow however, which is a big roadblock. I need to convince her that the summers are worth it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wins32767 posted:

Oh yes you can. After the 20th time shovelling out your driveway only to have the plow guy choose the exact minute you finish to dump a foot of slush into the end of the driveway snow gets really old.

Slush, as if. Up in Alaska they put a barrier of solid ice across the front of your driveway, no shorter than 1 foot. That said, I'd still rather shovel off my driveway than mow the lawn. At least the winter air keeps me cool.

Anyway, content. I've been hesitant to post these (I took the pictures in July) because they were taken about a month after I got my first DSLR, and I was more or less shooting blind.

I like looking at them, but I'm not sure if they're "good". Does anyone have any specific suggestions for what I should have done?

(Three Forks, Montana)

(Yellowstone)

(Rocky Mountain National Park)

I've since been reading Understanding Exposure, so if I were able to revisit these scenes I'd probably be better equipped to deal with it. But without a time machine I can't fix these pictures.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Those all seem very respectable for 1 month after you got a DSLR.

#1 is a sunset, which is a very cliche shot, but this is about as good as a sunset's going to get. I probably would've tried frame a little farther down so that the mountains were nearer to the rule of thirds line. This would also get rid of some of the empty space of the top.

Even if they're in silhouette? I have a couple dozen pictures of this particular sunset, and to my (admittedly untrained) eye, with the mountains higher in the shot, it's too much black.

I guess the "proper" solution would have been to get an image with the hills properly exposed?

quote:

#2 is good. The horizon is at the midpoint of the image which is theoretically a bad thing, but it doesn't really hurt this shot IMHO. Shooting into the sun meant that you got the shadow side of those ridges in the water. I would've probably tried to flip over into landscape mode to get more of the geyser.

I was trying to fit the sun into it.. which I suppose makes this a good place to ask. Is it "okay" to have the sun in frame? Among family and friends that photo is by far everyone's favorite of the ones I took, so clearly there's something to it, but is it a thing to avoid?

I get that lens flares are undesirable, but is it a useful creative element?

quote:

#3 I think you cut off the ground and got too much sky again. When I started shooting again recently I was a little too conscious of the rule of thirds and ended up taking a lot of shots that were closer to the "rule of fifths". When you shoot mountains into the sun you're going to lose a ton of definition for your mountains, but in this case the haze still gives them some depth.

About 5 pixels below the image was a road. Since reading Understand Exposure I've been educated that a way to improve the foreground is to get closer to the ground, but again, time machine problem.

Another part of it is I am fascinated by clouds. If you were to glance through my pictures tagged landscape.. a huge portion of my favorites feature clouds heavily. If this is bad composition, so be it, I'll probably still take the pictures, but I won't post them to the world.

I appreciate the feedback. Landscape photography interests me far more than any other type.. I want to get decent at it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

dunkman posted:

I am going to Hawaii for a week, bringing a tripod, 7D and a 11-16 and a 17-50. I also have no idea what I'm doing, so this should be interesting. How do you control that large light thing in the sky?

Based on what I've been able to pick up since I got my DSLR last spring, suppress the instinct to point the camera towards the giant fireball. What looks great to us in real life turns into generic and dull photos in the camera.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've done the thumb-over-the-sun trick to set exposure before, but never thought to incorporate it into a two-exposure combine.

Now I just need a sunset to try it out on. Oh, and a camera, which I left at home today.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's not a good angle for getting a sense of scale.

Without knowing what the waterfall really looks like, your photo makes me think it's just some water dribbling over a cliff, and the interesting portion is out of view beyond the ledge.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Lando posted:

You've never seen a Va. Beach beach evidently, the locals motto is 'we have no waves'.

West coasters usually don't understand this, they're used to wind coming in off the water which contributes a lot to the busy shoreline. East coast has the wind coming in off the land usually.. so no waves to speak of.

quote:

I just read some info on the 'rule of thirds', so now I know better about framing my shots. Hopefully I will pick up some better shots this weekend. Thanks for the words of advice :)

I personally think the shot is fine.. the clouds are interesting, and I'm a huge sucker for clouds, so that's probably why I like it. Gives a clean "this is what it was like to be here" feel.

What does bug me though is the image being concave.. the horizon is higher at the edges than the center. I might not notice it if there was some color in the image, but when you've got just sand and sky, the lens distortion really pops out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

quazi posted:

Bloddy hell. Why do I even try anymore. :pwn:

Really.. is the rainbow shot pure luck, or did you actually plan this?

Is there some way to read the weather and get a feel when neat opportunities will show up? Or is it purely "I was out taking a walk and suddenly a rainbow appeared"?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Interrupting Moss posted:

(rainbows: get on the west side of retreating showers in the afternoon. Is there a forecast of showers moving past that perfect spot? Be there.)

That's kind of what I'm after. What other kind of weather conditions make for good opportunities?

Heavy rains? Cold fronts? Warm fronts?

To put this in context, I've spent most of the past two months visiting the same spot every day, watching the scene. I think there's a good shot in there somewhere, but either the skies are perfectly clear or the light isn't quite warm enough.

I'm just curious if experienced landscape photographers have learned tricks for improving their odds of a nice scene.

I know SOME of them can do this.. there was a particularly nice sunset a week or so ago.. a couple lines of clouds, deep purples, that sort of thing. And a legion of photographers with ridiculous quantities of gear suddenly showed up and started snapping shots. There's no way they could have just been driving past, it's not a public location so they had to have prepared to come there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

subx posted:

Of course they have planned for it. Not every spot looks good in the same weather though, so you have to know what to look for in a particular spot.

That's exactly what I'm asking. Where did they get this insight?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

BeastOfExmoor posted:

The tree across the second one is really distracting to me, which is a shame because everything else about the shot is really strong.

I liked the second one best, because you can actually see some of the creek bed. The other two have a little too much cotton candy going on. I agree the log is a little distracting but the route of the water is more interesting.

I agree with the comments about the location though. The hazy, mossy forest really steals the show.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Heintron posted:

Look at this pile of sexy rocks. Just look at them!

:drat:

All I can see in this is the horizon. It looks like it's a thousand miles away. Don't even care about the pile of rocks, my eye keeps being drawn to the background.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The misty one looks pretty sweet, just from a mood standpoint. I like the bands of color.

But neither of the pictures are straight.. the phone poles are leaning, and the ocean has a slope.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Smekerman posted:

Pothole Lake by Smekermann, on Flickr

The last lake on the way up to Kearsarge Pass, Eastern Sierras. Old shot that I just got around to reprocessing.

That's pretty neat, because the lake looks like it's a hole into another world.

I guess the downside is it completely dominates the image.. it sucks the eye in and doesn't let go.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That looks a whole bunch cooler to me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I always find it hard to throw away pixels. I got a 15.1 MP sensor, I want to use every last one of those photons! :argh:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So I bought a Hasselbad last night on the advice of this thread, and no bitches will gently caress me. :(

Apparently you need money to lure them in, and after buying the camera, I have none.

Also, I'm having trouble getting comfortable in my new home in the alley.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dread Head posted:

EDIT: I still think the light is amazing and it is still a nice shot but it bothers me at the same time.

It seems like the image lacks a subject. The sun is just out of frame, the mountain really isn't much of a feature, and the foreground rocks are cut off just when they start to get interesting.

The lighting is pretty impressive though. The shadows are really neat.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's some great looking snow.

Did you get to see any of that weird slush action that the Yosemite creek does?

Video of it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V9p4mFEYXc

I'd guess you were there at the right time of year?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I wanna see the shots!

It's on my list of things to do someday, visit Yosemite in the winter/spring.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd be hard pressed to name a national park that looks better in the winter. :colbert:

It seriously looks like a splendid place to hang out (though my mother insists Yellowstone is quite nice too, I've never had the opportunity to go there in the winter).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Niagalack posted:

3rd one sorry for being off topic

Posting another just to stay on the subject.

That's pretty cool. There's a spot near where I work that has a temporary pond in it making a scene similar to this. I tried to go take a picture of it the other day but got completely molested by mosquitoes, so everything I took looked like rear end (pro tip: don't try to swat bugs and release the shutter at the same time).

I've been meaning to load up on bug spray and go back, haven't gotten around to it yet.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

quazi posted:

Interesting.. The clouds seem to be mirroring the structures below them.

They probably are.. mountains have a huge effect on shaping winds, and if surface air get pushed upwards, can trigger cloud formation.

It might just be coincidence in this particular image, but google lenticular clouds sometime. They can be pretty dramatic.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dread Head posted:

Thanks for the replies, to tell you the truth I am feeling a little uninspired right now. Not overly happy with my shots lately but it seems like this happens in cycles, hope something will come along...

I had a music teacher once offer the idea that when you get bored, you're on the verge of learning something new, or moving to the "next level". I have doubts it's completely true, but the advice has been helpful for getting through the slumps because it keeps me on the lookout for inspiration.

With photography, my MO is to find some pictures by other photographers I really like, and try to copy what they did in a different scene. It at least keeps the wheels turning.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Alaska has the most amazing summers I've ever experienced. It may only last a few months, but the weather is almost always perfect. In August it starts getting more gloomy and rainy, and by late September stuff is freezing over.

But May through July? No better time to be there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MMD3 posted:

this is rad, nice job! is this dawn or dusk?

Glacier Point is southwest of half dome, so it would have to be dusk.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Try shooting it when the sun is on the other side (that is, if you shot that at sunset, try it in the morning).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Seriously, the entire midwest is a giant motivation killer for photography. There's certainly some neat stuff out there, but it's few and far between.

Take a road trip through any place west of Denver and you'll be stopping every 10 minutes because there's something new to photograph.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gambl0r posted:

I fixed it, but applying those same settings to all the other photos from today does not work. The white balance needs to be adjusted in every shot. This is not usually the case when shooting other landscapes or naturally lit interiors, etc... forests just have always given me problems.

I just shoot with the WB set to cloud (it seems to produce the "least wrong" image) and fix everything at home, which basically means I've accepted that post processing is unavoidable.

I guess you could improve the situation by bringing a grey card with you but that slows you down every time you want to take a new shot.. I find it easier to repair in the comfort of my home.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

onezero posted:

What is this trick you speak of?

Literally hold your thumb over the sun to blot it out when composing/metering a shot. Either to avoid burning your retinas or confusing the camera's meter.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

drat, I have never seen trees completely entombed like that. Is that a result of freezing rain or something?

At first glance I thought they were frozen people, or maybe snowmen.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Falco posted:

Those snow shots are fantastic. That's definitely a lot of snow to completely bury the trees like that. Cool photos, and fun to look at while it's been in the 80's here in Southern California.

Pfft, that's not "buried". There's alpine areas that get so much snow ten foot trees will be completely buried, as in, you could walk on top of them.

It does look a lot cooler to have them ensconced in ice though. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What is that big black building? That seriously ruins the look of the city.

And here all I thought the French cared about was aesthetics. :smith:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's pretty hilarious.

I bet if it stays up for another 100 years people will want to keep it around because it's a part of history or something.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

SnowWolf posted:

I'm going on a trip to a bunch of national parks in Colorado and the Southwest, which is cool in itself, but I'm excited that even though I won't be doing any camping, I should be far enough from light pollution to really get a good look at the stars. Is there a novice-friendly resource to tell when and where the Milky Way arms can be photographed?

It would be very helpful to know, for instance, if in June the arms are not visible in the US because I'm in the wrong hemisphere.

Portions of the milky way are visible all year long. The galactic core is best visible in the summer months for the northern hemisphere. Dick around with this for a while:

http://www.skyviewcafe.com/skyview.php

It lets you set coordinates and zoom to any day you want to see what will be in the sky. I don't know what your travel plans are, but Utah is amazing for night photography. Natural Bridges is considered one of the darkest places in the US. I made a stop there back in November and it was pretty spooky.. I'd never before felt so alone.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Those are totally rad.

How did you do the top one? The cars are streaking, but the boat+smoke is mostly frozen? Multiple exposures?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Unfortunately flickr shrunk it down to 1024 pixels in width.

That's a pretty sweet angle though. I've only seen the mountain from the ground.. sort of. The peak was buried in clouds. :smith:

What were you flying around up there for?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You got the water to compliment the sky quite well too, that's pretty goddamn awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Those rock formations are pretty drat incredible. I've seen a bunch of wind shaped sandstone, but never harder stone.