Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You should clone that power line out. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's got a serious Bliss vibe going on.. which isn't a bad thing.

The clouds are pretty amazing to stare at.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone got advice or links to a crash course on ND/graduated filters? I just got my first set in yesterday and I leave on a road trip in two weeks so that gives me some time to get used to how they function.

I'm familiar with the fundamentals of how they work but I'm wondering what the common gotchas or newbie mistakes might be.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Saint Fu posted:

What type/brand did you get? I'm thinking about getting some for an upcoming road trip as well.

I bought a set of Cokin 'p' plates and the adapter to use them.

There's knockoff brands out there if you want to start cheap.. there's a company out there called Goja that makes plastic filters you can get at basement prices.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Alaska is the best place in the world. :allears:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone here actually shot the Moulton barns? I'm going to be visitin GTNP in a couple weeks, and while on one hand I don't particularly care to shoot cliches, on the other it would be stupid to completely skip a famous site like that.

I'm just curious which barn is the "good" one to shoot.. google searches suggest they're functionally identical but maybe that's a misinterpretation.

Are the barns roped off or otherwise inaccessible at any times? Or is it completely unregulated?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Breezed through GTNP this morning at the tail end of a two week vacation, figured stopping at "the barns" would be a no brainer.

Unfortunately it sounds like the entire state of Idaho ignited and is dumping tons of smoke all over Wyoming. Nothing ever lit up. :negative:

Turn around and this is what I saw:

Oh well, I got some sunset shots in other spots that might turn out kind of neat so we'll see once I dig through the piles of pictures I took the past two weeks.

I'm just glad I didn't plan an entire vacation around shooting the moulton barns because man that would be disappointing. One guy said he drove nonstop from Salt Lake city to make this morning, I would probably throw my camera in the ditch if I did something like that and got crap results.

Biggest downside is I skipped the Perseids because I wanted to make this sunrise and staying up all night taking pictures of shooting stars would have made me way too tired to drive today. In hindsight, I should have opted for the stars.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Aug 14, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

Smekerman because of your photos I am going to take a trip with a car and a camera. They're all spectacular.

It's a heap of fun, but also takes a ton of planning. You gotta find the spots to shoot and plan your driving to hit those spots at sunrise or sunset. Noon shooting is easy but generally looks like butt.. and it happens a lot on road trips.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It looks even better in original size.

We have a night time thread too if you want to post it there:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3170088

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Basically, shoot at sunrise or sunset.

Obviously there's more technique to it than that, but I can't think of anything that has a bigger effect on making a mediocre landscape into a great one.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

8th-samurai posted:

Composition? Content? I mean, I wouldn't say that light alone would make something a great photograph. There has to be something there in the first place.

My assumption is if they're posting here they already have some awareness of composition. :colbert:

Especially because almost everything that gets posted on this sub-forum blows my poo poo out of the water.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think Iceland needs its own superlative. Like icelandosity or something.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

jm3000 posted:

It's been too long since I posted in this thread, I finally stopped being lazy and processed my pictures form my trip to Glacier National park this summer. I think I got really lucky with the weather, just the right mix of clouds and sun for great photos.

This amuses me because I was there just a few weeks ago, and my pictures look suspiciously similar even though I was in a completely different part of the park.

Downside being all my shots were taken right in the middle of the day, and I'm not too happy with most of them.

I also had 100% clear skies.. which is fine for hiking, but I was secretly hoping for a huge storm to come through.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's one of those pictures that's got so much processing going on, it's got that "more amazing than the real world so it actually looks kind of fake" feel. You know, the stuff you see on the front page of 500px all the time.

I'm not really making a value judgement on that type of photo, but it is hard for me to look at it and not get stuck on wondering why it seems "off."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm not saying skies like that don't happen, just that that particular example doesn't sit well with me.

And I can't express what's "off" about it. It just is. :downs:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Individually they have a "what the gently caress is this guy smoking?" effect, but in a series I really dig them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's flipped 180 degrees. :ssh:

That's how he avoided getting the camera reflection in the water.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Picnic Princess posted:

How many "he's" do you know who go by Princess? :mad:

I genuinely never looked at the name, I identify everyone by avatars. :v:

You're "that person with the swirly fractal avatar".

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Initial impression: dude needs to get his sensor replaced or find a new camera.

Then I scrolled down. :doh:

The third picture is really cool. I personally would have tried to push the contrast a bunch, but that may not be possible with fire-induzed haze.

I like the composition though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone got any opinions on the colors in this shot? I was quite literally randomly pushing sliders around in lightroom and stumbled on this. The original image is extremely flat, so getting any sense of depth out of it felt like a victory.

From Badlands National Park:

Compositionally it feels like a dud, wife and I were rushing home from a vacation and I only had about 30 minutes to explore the place. I think there's enough there to warrant revisiting though.. I bet it's amazing at sunrise/sunset.

I just need a wider lens. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I feel like I would have needed a lot more time to get use out of a longer lens. Walking around looking for 'the spot', waiting for sunset.. I could easily have spent two days there.

This visit was barely above "stick the camera out the window as I drive by".

I'm still pretty new to the processing thing though (or perhaps more specifically, critiquing myself), and have problems knowing when I've gone too far with the sliders.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

are you loving high this is awesome

Why do you say that?

It's hard to avoid sounding like I'm fishing for compliments, but I really don't see what brings it into 'awesome' territory. There's no subject, the hills don't seem framed in a terribly interesting way, all it has going for it is color which as I said I accomplished by randomly changing sliders. So if it works, cool, but I was filing it under "things to try to repeat in the future but do a better job next time".

Main reason for posting it was to see what people thought of the processing, because like I said I still don't feel like I have a good eye for how much is too much.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That first shot is pretty cool.. is the city on a hill sloping downwards to the right or is that lens distortion? Either way it looks neat. Reminiscent of the curvature of the earth, even though there's no way you could be seeing it on something so close.

I like the effect of the haze, too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

aliencowboy posted:

Don't take this the wrong way, but are you colour-blind? A lot of your images seem to have a dark yellow cast to them.

I rather like the style. :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

aliencowboy posted:

I wasn't trying to be rude, the colour palettes just seem like they were made with a red/green deficiency.

Fair enough, I was just trying to prevent the guy from running off and reprocessing a picture I already like. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That 70s Shirt posted:

In my experience, yes, you can get good landscape photos in poo poo light. BUT- it needs to have something else extraordinary going for it as well. Extraordinary composition, subject, just something else. But then, if you can make that 9/10 photograph in lovely light, why not wait for the good light and push it to 10/10 or even that "extra credit" 11/10? That way you'd have extraordinary composition, subject, AND light.

Time? Self preservation?

If I and my wife were a 6 mile hike away from our shelter, hanging out on top of a mountain to wait for sunset isn't really a reasonable choice.

So harsh shadows from taking pictures at 3pm is what we're gonna go home with.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I find the flaring in both the examples terribly distracting.. it's all I can look at.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like the B&W quite a bit more. It works well with shooting the shaded side of the hill, and the contrast in the clouds help balance the image.

The portrait oriented color version feels very "snapshotty".

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Those are some badass mountains.. I want to hike them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think it'd be a pretty good square crop.. but I don't have the aversion to square photos that a lot of people seem to carry. So maybe I'm just a dummy.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

InternetJunky posted:

Good lord that is lovely lighting. I want to go to the desert now.

It gets loving cold this time of year. When I drove through northern Arizona/New Mexico last November I slept in my car, and kept having to wake up to run the heater for a few minutes to warm up.. windows got covered in frost.

It's because they have a relatively high altitude.. it ain't like las vegas where you can walk around in shorts all year.

It is gorgeous country though. gently caress planes, everyone should road trip.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Something sort of like that happens occasionally in the midwest.. if there's patches of snow on the ground and we get an above-freezing morning with high humidity, little pockets of fog will hover over the snow. What I assume happens is that when moisture heavy air passes over the snow it cools and starts to condense.

Never had a camera on hand when I see it but it looks pretty neat.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My wife forces us to carry led headlamps whenever we go on a hike, even if it's 8 in the morning and we have no intentions of being gone until dusk. Which is probably smart because I'm kind of an idiot when it comes to darkness.. I grew up in Alaska and still half expect there to be enough light to walk by at midnight.

Haven't needed 'em yet, but doesn't hurt to lug the stuff if there's room in the bag I guess. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anecdotally, humidity and dust seem to be the big factors. I always see gorgeous sunsets after a big storm when there's a lot of water hanging in the air. Sunsets off the back porch of my uncle's house in Montana are always jaw dropping too, which is in a relatively dry area.

I can't remember the last time I visited and didn't see a sunset like that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Clouds after a thunderstorm tend to be loving amazing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like that look. :colbert:

Just need the right setting for it. And a tripod obviously.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I meant setting as in scene, subject, or locale. You scrub. :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I prefer Anacortes and the San Juans, which is scrub free.

I've always been super rushed when I visit the area though, never really got the time to wander it properly.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Portland is just a neat city in general. Lots of odd things come together.. massive presence by Intel, the print industry is huge there, there's a big hippy culture, and lots of outdoor enthusiasts. Then you get out towards Gresham and it starts to turn into hardcore farming.. when I lived there one of my neighbors kept goats in their yard. A few miles east of Gresham you can disappear into dense forest with twisty roads that are a blast to drive, then a little further than that and you're in a national forest. If you head west, there's even more forests and an ocean.

Only downside is the rain, you really have to be able to tolerate it because they average even more precipitation than Seattle. Summers are loving fantastic though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Whitezombi posted:

Do you work in the print industry?

16 years ago, yes. I was working my way up to being a press operator when I got into IT during the dotcom bubble.