Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control
There's some dynamite stuff in this thread! Here are my attempts to keep up with you guys:

Gloss/Glass Mountains, Oklahoma

quazi fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 24, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control

Dread Head posted:

Nice smooth water! It's especially pleasing with the little warm spots in a sea of cool tones. The only issue is that your GND filter is pretty noticeable with the dark trees in the upper-right. But I still want to go walking through there.. We don't get those kinds of beach scenes here in Oklahoma.

The closest I can get is a dry creek bed:

(I developed it a couple days ago in front of about 50 people.)

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control

mCpwnage posted:

I just posted this on PAD, but I'm kind of curious what sort of reception it would get here.

Your horizon is ever-so-slightly crooked, but I'll be damned if I'm not gonna favorite it! :v:

You could have gone B&W, or sepia, or whatever, but you chose this blue/yellow duotone. I can't think of another way to describe it than "comfortable".

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control

thetzar posted:

I've been there.. been there.. used to live there omg.. been there too..

I love it.

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control
Talimena Scenic Drive in Oklahoma/Arkansas (map):

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control
They're all single exposures, but I had to use a 3-stop GND filter to keep the sky from going completely white.

Also my filter must be getting old because I kept having to fight a warm color cast that I never noticed before. The middle photo above still kinda has it, but it was a lot worse than that straight out of the camera.

edit: Nope! It was from an increase in color temperature in Lightroom! (that's good, because those filters are getting harder to find.)

quazi fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 31, 2010

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control

Col. Mustard posted:

All of them are pretty solid, but I'll bet there's a good reason why this one got posted first. :drat:

---

This place has some serious potential. I'll probably show up 30 minutes earlier next time.

Elk Mountain (morning) by jwallacephoto, on Flickr

And then some B&W conversions:

boulders and stuff by jwallacephoto, on Flickr

Vertical at Charon's Edge by jwallacephoto, on Flickr

quazi fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Oct 25, 2010

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control

Holistic Detective posted:

Bloddy hell. Why do I even try anymore. :pwn:

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control

octane2 posted:

Click image(s) to view on black background, avoid burning your retinas, and appreciate shadow detail.
[content]
H
That third image is solid gold, but the post above me is spot on.. You need to start selling prints at art festivals. Between the excellent imagery, and the bone-crushingly cheesy captions, you'd make millions.

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control

jm3000 posted:

Here's one from a recent trip:

Point Reyes Beach by johnm3000, on Flickr
Oh, the warmth! It makes me want to go frolic.

joelcamefalling posted:

viewtastic by joelalexanderwright, on Flickr
Interesting.. The clouds seem to be mirroring the structures below them.

---

I finally decided on some proper titles for my latest Kansas photos:

at first I was like... by jwallacephoto, on Flickr

...but then I serious'd by jwallacephoto, on Flickr

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control

we were once here by jwallacephoto, on Flickr

Glass Front Porch by jwallacephoto, on Flickr

I usually avoid doing this, but how easy is it to notice that the sky in the second photo is from a different shot?

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control
You guys definitely aren't the first to say those images are a bit 'punchy'. And yes I'll admit I've possibly been spending an unhealthy amount of free time on 500px.

For reference, here are the source images of the second photo (click for big):

Exposure 5 of 7 (facing west)

Composite of all 7 exposures as a 32-bit TIFF in Lightroom 4.1

Smekerman and East Lake, this might be what you're picking up on: this sky was taken 30 minutes later, 20 miles away, and facing the opposite direction from the "ground" half of the image. (Or maybe I just fell in the HDR Hole and need a ladder.)

quazi fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 30, 2012

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control

Smekerman posted:

Yeah after staring at your picture for far too long, I do agree about the lighting. I think what bothers me is that lit-up cloud on the right. Get rid of that (and darken the foreground a bit) and it'd be a lot harder to tell.

So it was an HDR after all, I seem to remember you doing a bunch of exposure blending a while back which is why I mentioned it. Anyway, after seeing your original shot, I'm not sure why you went and changed the sky on it. Give it some contrast/do some burning in the shadow areas, maybe punch up the color a bit and you'd have a pretty drat good shot on your hands.
The HDR technique I'm using is based on this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtV9dWyN7JM. It's basically "HDR without the halos and clownpuke", which is what I was trying to do with the exposure blending all along. I don't think that's the problem with this particular shot.

I bracketed based on exposure readings, the sunset was happening right in the gap of the formations, things were coming together nicely -- and then I drove off!

I had this stupid idea "hey there are some other formations just up the road! (30 minutes away) Maybe I can catch the sunset over there too!" Within 10 minutes, the clouds behind me lit up, poked a rainbow through, but by then I was out in a field. I eventually pulled over, got the cloud shot, and got the one shot of the culvert right before it got dark.

Moral of the story:
When you're in an interesting place, and interesting light is happening, STAY THE gently caress THERE. And if you screw up that part, don't use Photoshop in anger trying to fix it.

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control
I think this counts as landscape photography -- the old mill in Sorrento, Italy.

Old and New by jwallacephoto, on Flickr

The old mill by jwallacephoto, on Flickr

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control

xzzy posted:

I see rocks, so as chief rock curator, yeah you're cool to post here.

That place looks fun as hell to explore.. are the ruins accessible at all?
Everybody says it's closed to the public, but there's a rumor that the parking garage across the street has an access tunnel -- which probably dates back to 900AD.

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control
This is powerful.

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control

Gambl0r posted:

Antelope Canyon was a madhouse. No time to compose or setup. I was lucky to be in the first tour group car, so at least I was able to get some shots without a million people in them. Someday I'd like to go back and take a photo tour, although from what I've read, it's almost the same as the 'normal' tour. (Except you get 30 seconds per shot instead of 10)
Good lord, did you show up on a weekend at noon? I shudder to think that it got even more crowded than when I was there in 2006: 8-10 tour groups at a time, and 5-15 people in each group.

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control

spillway in fog by jwallacephoto, on Flickr

below the spillway by jwallacephoto, on Flickr

on the trail by jwallacephoto, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control
I found a tree: