Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Eh, I thought the whole point of hyperfocal focusing was to shoot stopped enough that your foreground *and* background are focused :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

When someone smarter than me explained it, what I understood is that you shift focus back from infinity and stop down until both foreground and background/infinity are in the field. It's pretty easy to visualize on old-rear end lenses with both a focus and a depth of field scale.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Twenties Superstar posted:

Stephen Shore is a goon?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Twenties Superstar posted:

Just curious, what in particular makes you think about Stephen Shore?
An every day americana scene on color film. He tends not to leave as much dead space as you did, but it's just what came to my mind when I saw it. Nothing in that picture's indicative of a specific era, so that probably helped.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It's a vodka not-so-graduated filter, duh.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Some pretty impressive mountain photography

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Interrupting Moss posted:

sooooo that mountain isn't real.
Myeah I should have put the details with the link. I thought it was pretty obvious (erosion would take care of a peak like that in a couple years time), but I grew in the mountains so it was obvious to me. Evidently I then forgot to mention it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

With just a wee bit less vignette you'd really be on to something.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Dread Head posted:

Yeah, I try to minimize the visibility of GND filters but the trees had very little colour to begin with so I just gave up and went with it.
Did you GND the shot or layered multiple exposures?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

guidoanselmi posted:

scanned, it's like 500+ MP, and i dont have enough scatch space on my windows partion to dodge and burn it to look good. i did the above by shrinking it down to something far more manageable. when i gave my windows partition 20 gigs i totally forgot about scratch space
Pretty sure you can move your scratch file?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That first shot's quite interesting, and it seems the location has enough going on to lend itself to not-landscape photography. I mean if you're bored just try it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Shoot the dogs, or the people, or the loving lack of otters. Just not a 1/3 2/3 beachscape.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

big cheese posted:

My office view (literally):

gently caress you so much.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Well that's nice :)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Reichstag posted:

You could pull off a really sweet geometric photograph with that mound in the middle.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

scottch posted:

Jesus Christ. I may shoot Nikon SLR, but I am definitely getting an S90 next time I need a P&S.
The Nikon P&S are nothing like the SLRs. And by this I mean they're generally poo poo, and I'd get a panasonic or canon any day instead of a coolpix.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You're pulling your skies a bit much, pal :)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Painless posted:

Really wish the sky had been a bit clearer

Toss a 1.5 stop gradient on it if you shot raw, it'll surprise you.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You can somewhat compensate for haze with exposure and contrast comp, but it's never going to be ideal.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

xzzy posted:

I'm gonna have to show those pictures to the wife.. I grew up in Anchorage, been trying to convince her that that's where we want to settle. She hates snow however, which is a big roadblock. I need to convince her that the summers are worth it.
Yeah no one can go sledding for an afternoon and still hate snow.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

8th-samurai posted:

What kind of film is this?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I want to stuff that HDR button of yours somewhere unpleasant. Unfortunately you appear to be more beefcake than I.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

77mm CPL's are gently caress-you expensive 8(

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That water is gently caress-you good. Maybe work a bit more contrast in the distant coast and skies?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

TheAngryDrunk posted:

How about this:
It's technically correct, but a complete backasswards way to put it. Hyperfocal just means minimum focal distance at which the far end of your depth of field includes infinity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Hi. Yes.