Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

snowman posted:

Adjusted photo

old photo for reference

better, worse? I don't have a calibrated monitor, but it was kind of yellow and magenta. The sun was setting and the sky was pink and gold, I didn't even manage to capture it very well in the photo.

I think to pull off the pink sky you would have needed to have taken a couple of exposures and done some blending to make it work. Assuming you didn't do that, I'd probably tone down the color in the sky completely. It looks really out of place in the photo. Your foliage and water looks much better now, but that sky in the upper left is giving the edges of the leaves an strange magenta fringe. It's made worse by the fact that that fringe is absent on the right hand side instead replaced by a subtle blue one. I would mask off the areas up top that are getting that magenta color and tweak them a bit so it looks more natural and flows with the color in the rest of the shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I was all excited to attempt to get some really cool landscape shots to actually contribute a bit to this thread while I was on my trip to Marco Island this weekend. Then it decided to pour rain and be insanely windy 90% of the time. I managed to get out and take photos for about an hour along the beach while there was a small break in the weather. Here's on of the ones I took away. I was trying to capture both how lovely the weather was and the tiny glimmer of sunny hope that was peaking through.

I really wish I had something that was between my 20mm and my 8mm fisheye for this. Well, really I wish I had a full frame.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Ishkibibble_Fish posted:

I could just be imagining things, but there is something really strange going on with the horizon line here.

Nah, I think you're right, I was shooting at a bit of an angle and wasn't focusing on getting things perfect on the camera. I'll fix that.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

whaam posted:

Is the sky comp'd in?

Nope, that's just the weather that day. There was a brief bit of blue sky for maybe 20 minutes and the rest of the day the sky was just a dark mass of ugly as you see on the right there.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
A couple questions for you landscapers. This July I'm going to be venturing out to the Pacific Northwest and plan to do a lot of photography while I'm out there. Right now I'm shooting on a 40D and my widest lens (aside from my 8mm fisheye) is a 20mm Sigma. I'm weighing my options of either renting a 5D or a wider zoom lens, possibly with an ND filter, for my trip and am wondering what might be the best route to go for this one.

I'm planning on hitting a few national parks and hopefully venturing my way down to Crater Lake in Oregon. Anyone from that area have any suggestions of awesome places to go for hiking/photos?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

fenner posted:

Do you have to rent? I'm kinda against renting since it just seems like a waste of money to me. But if you have to rent I guess just go for the 5D, why not?

If you can buy then the most used wide angles are the sigma 10-20, tokina 11-16 and canon 10-22. The canon lens is overpriced in my opinion and I would definitely look into the sigma/tokina, I desperately want the tokina myself.

I don't mind renting, especially when it's a lens I definitely can't afford to buy at the moment. I've rented a 35L twice now. The lenses I was looking at are only like $40 to rent for a week and the company I go through is local so I don't pay for shipping. I've considered looking into buying the Sigma or Tokina, I'm just not sure I can justify the purchase right now, but we'll see.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
^^^
That picture is gorgeous. There's so much going on in a good way.

ebonyflesh posted:

I think it could benefit from some editing but I wouldn't know where to start. :)

It could use some work with masking and blending the exposure. The sky needs more contrast as is a touch overexposed and the foreground is well underexposed.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I'm headed out to San Diego and Vegas in a couple weeks and I'm contemplating renting a wide angle lens for the trip. Right now my widest lens is my Sigma 20mm 1.8 which is nice most of the time, but I'd like something wider for the trip. I know some people on here hate renting, but I have a rental company in my city, so I don't pay for shipping and because I'm a repeat customer they give me 10% off their normal rates, so the rental will be around $45 for 10 days. The other thing that is swaying me to do this is that the day before I leave I'm shooting the Warped Tour, so I figure it's one more reason to snag another lens if only for a crowd shot or two.

The two best options I have available are the Canon 10-22 and the Tokina 11-16. They do not have the Tokina 12-24, which is sad because I've heard good things about it. Anyone have have any thoughts on these two lenses? It'd be used mostly for desert and coast type photos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

The Wormy Guy posted:

I was just gonna post the same thing about the 4th picture, the sky looks crazy. And with the third one I'd take out a lot of that sky, it doesn't really add anything to the photo, and maybe take out the two random little clouds.
Otherwise I really like them, and yes, where did you take these?

I have to disagree on the third one. It adds altitude to the photo. It makes the mountains seem tall, like you are above the clouds. I say leave it.