Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004
Blue Horeshoe Loves Anacot Steel

SKULE123 posted:

Peggy's Cove in Nova Scotia, Canada. Feedback welcome, babby's first (well, first couple of months) post-processing here.

The composition isn't bad (would have liked to have seen more of the sky perhaps) but the colors are kind of garish. It looks overly processed. Can you post the original?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004

ConspicuousEvil posted:

I like the colors, but what's with that giant smudge right in the middle?

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004

ConspicuousEvil posted:

I don't know, possibly an artifact from post when I was masking out the sky...Back to the drawing board.

Edit: Actually, it appears to either be on my lens or my sensor.

Yeah...I would suggest cleaning your sensor. Maybe you can photoshop it out in the mean time.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004

ConspicuousEvil posted:

Do you think just using an air blower will do the trick, or will I have to get a sensor brush? My 40D cleans itself automatically...so that made me hope it was just the lens.

Give it a shot....hold the camera upside down and shoot the blower at the sensor. You can verify by shooting a white wall or a blue sky at f/22.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004

Demon_Corsair posted:

Resubmitted for your approval.

Much better now.

It looks like the horizon is slightly crooked or distorted.

Have you tried any other cropping options? It might add a little more drama to the shot as a more panoramic style image.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004
This thread hasn't been updated in awhile so I thought I would toss up a couple I shot with my Hasselblad in San Francisco. These are your standard Golden Gate Bridge shots but I was trying to do something a little bit different with them.

This was taken on Ektar 100, but looked flat so I converted it to B&W.

Here's another I had posted in the Snapshot thread but intended to post here. Also Ektar 100 but the lighting and fog made it look too flat. Scanned on Epson V700. I don't care for the contrail in the shot but don't feel like trying to photoshop it out.
[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2753/4371099585_11a0b8141e.jpg][/img]

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004

jm3000 posted:

A couple from a recent trip:

1 is very nice. Perfect time of day, loks great.

2 is decent, I find the branch/log a litle bit distracting, it seems like it would have been better to get closer to that and put it lower in the frame. It also looks like the horizon is a tad crooked.

#3 is too underexposed I think. The mass void of black in the bottom of the frame really detracts from it.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004
Well, here is a 4x5 shot of the pacific ocean from San Simeon, CA. Kodak E100G. Saturation looks a little jacked up on my computer so I need to mess with it more before I get it printed.

Sunset in San Simeon, CA by cmmatt, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004
Went to Hawaii with a bag full of cameras. One of them was a Hasselblad, and I accidentally brought my 150mm Sonnar instead of my 50mm Distagon. I ended up using it for this shot on Ektar 100:

Waikoloa Palm at Sunset by cmmatt, on Flickr

I've been goofing around with the colors all week and am printing an ultra-saturated version of it as well.