Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

The death of a child is always a tragedy, but let's put this in perspective, shall we? I mean they WERE palestinian.

poopinmymouth posted:

He can answer as well, but I also shoot landscapes in spot, so I'll give my answer.

I like to use a quasi-zone system. With the spot I can point to either the brightest part of the scene that I want to keep, or the darkest, and adjust my meter to match. For example: +2 for the brightest, or -2 for the darkest.
Is there any difference between this and bracketing + choosing the right exposures?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

The death of a child is always a tragedy, but let's put this in perspective, shall we? I mean they WERE palestinian.

Twenties Superstar posted:

The idea is metering and then taking one photo versus taking several slightly different photos and picking the one that you think is best.
I get how the process is different, but is the end product any different?

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

bleh

Where is this? I've never seen a view quite like this.

From my hosting:

This one is from back when I went to Yosemite. You're seeing half-dome from the Upper Falls Trail. I'm not sure about my post processing, it just doesn't seem to speak to me, any ideas on how I could have made it better?

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

vote_no posted:

The landscape seems too washed out, if that's changeable. And maybe too... soft?
Good to know. I'll play with the contrast some and see if I can get a balance between too soft and overwhelmingly sharp. Thanks for the feedback!

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

macx posted:

I kind of think it would be better as a b/w. Maybe an infrared film simulation? The dull color doesn't do much for me but the contrast definitely could.

When you are doing that, I would add a slight highlight to half-dome, and pull back just slightly in the canyon and skies as if a sun beam were being cast on the rock face.
I'll give it a shot and come back with the results.

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

Crazy Armed Pilot posted:

I really like the second two here. Could you post the before/after shots to show what your are able to pull out of the haze? My pictures don't seem to have the pop that yours have. I am still trying to learn what I can do in PS and developing a work flow (been at this for less than a month).

Keep up the good work, and stay safe!
If you can get your hands on it, get Lightroom. It makes workflow a breeze and can do 95% of what photoshop can do.

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

Crazy Armed Pilot posted:

I have played with Lightroom several times, but the inability to use it on a network is a deal killer. I have three computers that I use in different locations (five if you count laptops) and everything is stored on the network. At this point, I am unable to tie my work down to one machine :(

Until Adobe decides they are going to help us network dependent people out, I am stuck with Lightrooms retarded brother, Bridge.
drat. I was just wondering this morning if I could sync libraries across computers, but that'd have to be done nightly probably and has obvious limitations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

My hosting:

The Jefferson Memorial, all alone except for one sole speck of a man. While in a way snubbed from the Mall of monuments, it lacks distractions and thus it’s presence becomes even grander.