Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
I am only ever interested in shooting landscapes on 120. I don't know why, something about square format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brad industry
May 22, 2004

advion posted:

I don't have anything special to contribute at the moment.

I'm into this one, you should look up Brad Moore.

Twenties Superstar posted:

I don't want to point any fingers with this post but "good composition" is not the same as "following the rule of thirds" or "plotting your photo onto a spiral" or whatever. Composition is much more about each object in the scene and how they relate to each other, NOT JUST SPATIALLY, but also with regards to the inherent meaning and function of those objects and how they interact, including individual intent, in or outside of the scene.

Yes thank you, I am tired of the kneejerk "this would be better if it were following the rule of thirds" responses so many images get here. The rule of thirds is not the end-all be-all of composition, it's only purpose is to get noobs to not loving automatically center things and beyond that doesn't have any real value.

Composition is about balancing visual weight (or making it unbalanced if that is what works for what you're trying to do). There are no rules that can help you compose better, you have to actually think about how things relate two dimensionally and how those relationships add or detract from what you are trying to show.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Hey woot fatigue, I've seen those up all over SF - nice work, didn't know a goon shot it.

Whitezombi posted:

I'm doing some pretty heavy experimenting on processing with these landscapes. I have an idea of some places I want to shoot and process this way.

I think what is interesting to me about these is how they lose the sense of scale and perspective with the dark skies. I would pursue it more along those lines when you're shooting, rather than as an after-the-fact processing thing.