Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snowman
Aug 20, 2004
due it

evil_bunnY posted:

Eh, I thought the whole point of hyperfocal focusing was to shoot stopped enough that your foreground *and* background are focused :confused:

I am pretty sure you are correct, the hyperfocal distance is the point where there is the largest possible depth of field for that aperture, continuing out to infinity. So basically everything is in focus if it is a sufficiently high aperture. You can figure it out with math, but old manual focus lenses actually sometimes have it marked on the focus scale. I don't think there's anything boring about that, as long as everything in the photo is interesting enough to be in focus. Look at Ansel Adams.

The person above who said that the background was just slightly blurry probably just fudged it a little bit and focused slightly too close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snowman
Aug 20, 2004
due it
I'm cross posting this from pad because its probably the first landscape shot I've been happy with.

snowman
Aug 20, 2004
due it

unixbeard posted:

i'm not sure if it's creative effect but the white balance/tint looks a bit wacky too me.

I used the tokina 11-16 a lot. It's a good lens for what it is, f/8 is sharp, but f/22 is unusable imo. Lots of ca as well.
Adjusted photo

old photo for reference

better, worse? I don't have a calibrated monitor, but it was kind of yellow and magenta. The sun was setting and the sky was pink and gold, I didn't even manage to capture it very well in the photo.

snowman
Aug 20, 2004
due it

fenner posted:

Crosspost with PAD, I tried to do the same treatment on each one, but they came out differently.

Nice shots, I love the water and color. Are you using a neutral density filter on these? I actually have to ask dread head the same question. If you guys are, what brand and how many stops? I have been looking at buying one to slow down day time shooting.

snowman
Aug 20, 2004
due it

woot fatigue posted:

Landscapes are definitely not my area of expertise, but I'll give it a go with some of the better ones I've taken over the year or so.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bradgillette

This is a great shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snowman
Aug 20, 2004
due it

Dread Head posted:

You've really been killing this thread lately. These two are especially nice.