Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

I've only recently started to get more interested in photography despite having had some entry-level Sony mirrorless cameras for a while. Hope I'm not dumping too many photos at once! but here are some photos mostly recent and some old, I've only just got lightroom and started shooting in raw and editing so I'd love some feedback on what I'm doing right and wrong. I also recently upgraded from my nex-6 to a used A7RII before I go on a trip to Europe later in the year so I'm going to need some help getting the best out of my new camera!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

From a work trip where we tried but then failed to launch a rocket.

DSC00270 by Andrew Burns, on Flickr

DSC00247 by Andrew Burns, on Flickr

DSC00210 by Andrew Burns, on Flickr

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Tried to get some photos of the blood moon but it was behind thick cloud, so satisfied myself stomping around in the mud looking at trees instead.

One tree hill portrait by Andrew Burns, on Flickr
Rangitoto stormy sunrise by Andrew Burns, on Flickr
One tree hill landscape by Andrew Burns, on Flickr

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

That owns, looks so frenzied.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Wet web
by Andrew Burns, on Flickr

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Got out to one of the local volcanos for sunrise this morning. I didn't get any good images of the volcano/landscape itself but I thought that these shots were OK.

Urban wallpaper by Andrew Burns, on Flickr

Concrete tumour by Andrew Burns, on Flickr

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Two more from this morning.

Twisted arch by Andrew Burns, on Flickr

Tall trees by Andrew Burns, on Flickr

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Yeah there have been some extremely sick pictures the last few days but I'm a sucker for cloudy mountains.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Austin by S M, on Flickr

Austin by S M, on Flickr

I will always love your glowy lights.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Mountains from Rothornhutte by Andrew Burns, on Flickr

Hotel du Trift Morning by Andrew Burns, on Flickr

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

This rules.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Old town by Andrew Burns, on Flickr

Old town 2 by Andrew Burns, on Flickr

Not sure if this last one counts as landscape or street? (no human story?)

Carraige with blur by Andrew Burns, on Flickr

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Artificial aperture by Andrew Burns, on Flickr

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Ornate by Andrew Burns, on Flickr

Wall by Andrew Burns, on Flickr

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Towering by Andrew Burns, on Flickr

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Loving all of these, film?

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Cross-post from film thread. I dropped the wet negatives on the ground so they got covered in dust and hair but I think these two are relatively un-effected.

DSC01315 by Andrew Burns, on Flickr

DSC01317 by Andrew Burns, on Flickr

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

A few more neggies developed today.

Gnarled Tree by Andrew Burns, on Flickr

One Tree Hill Obelisk by Andrew Burns, on Flickr

Woodhill by Andrew Burns, on Flickr

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

DSC01379 by Andrew Burns, on Flickr

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Some x-posting from the film thread:

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Love this. Always intended to do a series of empty offices at night. Tricky to get into the right spots for it though.

Yeah that would be my jam too, but as you say difficult to get access to good vantage points. Something very eerie about empty tower block offices at night though.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

These are all really cool.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Sick

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Cross-post from the large format thread, Lion Rock on 4x5 Ektar.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

torgeaux posted:

Loves me lightning shots.

Dramatic cloud cover here a couple nights ago, no lightning.

Normal Aspect Clouds by B. B., on Flickr

These clouds are sick

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Cross post from the large format thread.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Cross-post from the large format film thread.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Sun setting through smoke from the Australian bushfires as seen from New Zealand. Conditions for the shot weren't great, in person being able to look directly at the sun as a perfect red disc was pretty eerie. Velvia 50 4x5.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Fart Amplifier posted:

This still damages your eyes

Yeah I wasn't exactly staring at it, just brief flashes as it came out from behind the clouds (which were moving very fast).

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Is that Miruwai in New Zealand?

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Nice, I was there the weekend before last on the cliffs in the distance of your photo. In this one I'm looking back towards where your photo was taken, you can just see the gannet colonies in the distance (my photo is trash compared to yours though).

I'm happier with these two photos from the same location, they're a bit generic though.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

theHUNGERian posted:

Don't care, I love it.

Cheers!

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

More New Zealand west coast, unfortunately really thick cloud rolled through before the light got any good, shot still turned out ok but I'll have to go back another day and spend some more time poking around.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Yeah I agree these own, especially the first one.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Struggled to get enough isolation between this branch and the background, not great but I think it works ok (chaotic scrubby forests are hard).

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

bobmarleysghost posted:

Those blues in the corners look very forced, what processing did you on the photo?
Looks like you overdid some slider.

Yeah you're right now that I look at it that does look pretty lovely. It's portra 4x5 sheet film which does lend itself to those aqua blues but I did dick with the colours a fair bit after inverting the negative and I also added a vignette which would make the corners stand out even more.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

DSLR scanning the negative on an LED tracing pad and inverting using negative lab pro in lightroom. I'll have to check the file tonight to see if I'm clipping the blues but more likely it's just being too heavy handed with the editing. The original photo wasn't great lighting anyway but I can't remember if the negative had a colour cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Getting rid of the vignette and the boosted saturation seems to have done the trick, I guess never edit photos late at night? It was always polishing a turd anyway as far as the image goes.