Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

ConspicuousEvil posted:

Here's the re-edit:

Can't decide if I like the almost over-processed look of the first one or the more natural, flatter look of the second. Any ideas?

Something does not look right, the sky around the clouds is slightly darker, did you run this through HDR software? The whole image kind of looks "blotchy, not sure what it is.

----

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

whaam posted:

Digging the first one, the contrast of the water against the dark beach with a nice sky. You must be done editing your trip photos if we are seeing rocks again :)

Haha, yeah for the most part I will probably go over the whole lot again to see if there is anything I changed my mind about.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Depends what I am taking with me, and by that I mean it depends if I am taking my super tele. If I am not taking it then I will take my camera bag backpack with my short lenses in it. If I am taking my super tele then I will put it in a real backpack and I will take my wide and maybe my 80-200. When using my real backpack I have all my lenses in lens cases.

Example:

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
One I missed from my road trip.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

quazi posted:

Nice smooth water! It's especially pleasing with the little warm spots in a sea of cool tones. The only issue is that your GND filter is pretty noticeable with the dark trees in the upper-right. But I still want to go walking through there.. We don't get those kinds of beach scenes here in Oklahoma.

Yeah, I try to minimize the visibility of GND filters but the trees had very little colour to begin with so I just gave up and went with it.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

evil_bunnY posted:

Did you GND the shot or layered multiple exposures?

Multi layers.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Demon_Corsair posted:

I was there in early October, a bit different at that time of year!

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Got my rear end out of bed for sunrise this weekend.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

whaam posted:

I've been too busy to get out in ages, just starting to find some time now just in time for eternal northern darkness :( Might try a sunrise or set this weekend I guess, but waking up in the dark and leaving work in the dark is killing me already and it's only December.

It sucks, we don't have it as bad here and it is still terrible.

--

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

dunkman posted:

I'm going to Hawaii next month and I'm planning on doing some hiking and taking pictures along the way, so no tripod.

I was thinking of renting a 70-200 while I was out there for my 7D, but I think that would be entirely too bulky/heavy to really hike with. I have a 17-50 Tamron f/2.8 (no VC) that I would use instead.

I have a lowepro micro trekker 100 backpack that I'm pretty sure won't fit a 70-200 in it with the 7D either. Although I'm reading online it will...

Any tips? I don't know quite what to expect and I definitely don't want to hike having a 7D with a 70-200 around my neck.

edit: I am going to post this in the gear thread too.

Take a tripod, even if it is a smaller one they are really useful and if you have a bag then you can probably strap it to it. as for a 70-200 you need to decide what you are wanting to take photos of I think it would be handy and you could keep it in your bag until you needed it.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Regressor posted:

Great job exposing the sky. You use flash on the foreground or is that an HDR?

The top one is a manual blend of two exposures, one for the sky and one for the foreground. I used layers and masks in Photoshop to then blend the two exposures.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
One more.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
A few from tonight.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Interrupting Moss posted:

I hate to do it, but

...Just not said so harshly. Start studying some other photographers, going out with restrictions (one focal length, one shutter speed, etc.), try new scenic variations.

Learn to edit tighter, as well. Only one of those three needed to be posted. Which one best communicates what you saw? What you felt? What you would like others to see or feel?

I posted 3 images because I wanted feedback on them, I am well aware that one is much stronger than the other 2 but does not mean I cant get feedback on them. Not sure if I have mentioned it here but I feel my stuff is stagnant, I am trying to do new things but it is tough. I find with landscapes it is hard because a lot of it has to do with the location. Going back to locations you have gone to before it is really hard to motivate your self. For these photos I was just out for a walk without really having the intention of taking photos but it was a nice sunset so why not? I am bored with my photos, I really need a larger project to apply my self to but I am having a hard time kicking something off.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

evil_bunnY posted:

That first shot's quite interesting, and it seems the location has enough going on to lend itself to not-landscape photography. I mean if you're bored just try it.

I agree, one of the reasons I went was to scout for a good location to shoot river otters that are often there but too many people with dogs around when I was down there.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
One more.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Pano from the weekend.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Shooting at f22 or something is comparable to shooting wide open (kind of) yes you will probably loose some quality to diffraction but unless it is a really terrible lens it probably will not cripple your image. Like dik-dik said it is often more important to have a large DOF, although if you are shooting wide then even at f10 you are going to have a pretty large DOF.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I use a ND8 filter if I need to knock down the shutter speed and shoot multiple exposures and blend them later which will reduce the amount of kit you will have to bring/carry around. I use the 10-20 a lot but it depends on the scene, not sure on the filter size for the 17-50 but I am assuming it is not the same as the sigma 10-20 (77mm) just get a step up ring so you can use it on both lenses.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

A Wizard posted:

I think this may be a bit too saturated, what do you guys think?

I think the saturation is ok but the huge empty mass of black at the bottom is not doing anything. I would try cropping some of that out and see how it looks.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
One from the weekend.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

scottch posted:

This is nice, I have always wanted to go to the East Coast of Canada.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
It's been awhile since I have done some landscapes, too long.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01