Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Whitezombi posted:

That's good.

Burn the bottom area a bit, then it's great.

(or use a 5 filter in the printing, if these are film... don't think so though)

Good texture on the second one, too, though the DOF blur at the bottom is distracting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Fukushima

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Whitezombi posted:

Thanks. These are digital. What bottom area?

Fukushima is gorgeous.
The entire mountainous region. Specifically, the lower left area could use a bit more contrast, and the bluff in general increased in brightness a bit.

I've hacked away at it to show you; the quality would be much better if performed on a TIFF file from the RAW.

If you're really into digital B&W, Nik Software's Silver Efex Pro is excellent.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

fenner posted:

This is pretty cool.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

All three of those images have a nice composition, and the colors are great. I've seen too many images like that with crazy Crayon colors, those are all very good.

The first one would have greatly benefited from a polarizer (to allow the lake bed to be seen better) and properly exposed highlights. It could help to have the mountain closer to the center of the frame; everything to the left of the log is pretty uninteresting.

All of them have blown highlights. If you bracketed, grab a frame with better highlight exposure and bring up the shadows as best as possible and see what that looks like.

Wanna go there.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Dread Head posted:

More from Yoho National park.

I like both of these, with the highlights caveat on the first one again.

I disagree with the previous poster about the composition of the waterfall. So many waterfall shots like this are shot wide angle and seem so busy and active. In the photo here you've managed to make it seem very calm and simple, which is likely much more representative of the scene. There's a lot of texture in the image that would likely be much better appreciate if it were printed.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

You really, really, need to give some B&W conversions a shot. These are great images.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

That shot also begs to be cropped square.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Those are some cool mountains, but the photography feels pretty uninspired.

I have never seen anything like this mountain. Where is this?

edit time!

sooooo that mountain isn't real.

If you go to the photographer's website ( http://www.michaelnajjar.com/ , warning, it resizes your browser and is kind of a pain to navigate) you can read about the project, "High Altitude". It visualizes stock market trends in mountain vistas. Hence, some of the images you see are in edited to match the period indicated in the description of each image.

Now the photos are suddenly worth looking at.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 29, 2009

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

yessssssssssssss

A touch underexposed. But awesome.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I guess this is a landscape?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Yeah, I'm not sure I'm happy with it either. Coming back to it I've done this, which is much closer to what I'm after.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Split-toning look to this, less vignetting, similar structure look.

This is going to be printed and hung in a particular place, and the selenium look was going to be too cold.

Pretty happy with this.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 17, 2009

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Love it.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Demon_Corsair posted:

I really like this, but start over in post-processing. Too dark, and has a bad HDR feel to it.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I like that.

It doesn't quite feel like a, to borrow a term, fine print, though.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

spf3million posted:

I like this.

e: a lot

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Dread Head posted:

A few from tonight.

I hate to do it, but

Mannequin posted:

I think these are boring. Who cares? Running water. Big deal. Work on your compositions dude. Make pictures interesting. This is the same old crap. You should be able to do better.

What made you think they were good? I mean, they're not bad, they're just bad coming from you since you've done them before. I wonder about your mindset and what you think is acceptable and what isn't. It's almost like you've forgotten what your other pictures have looked like so you don't think to try something new.
...Just not said so harshly. Start studying some other photographers, going out with restrictions (one focal length, one shutter speed, etc.), try new scenic variations.

Learn to edit tighter, as well. Only one of those three needed to be posted. Which one best communicates what you saw? What you felt? What you would like others to see or feel?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Posted on your flickr, but I like this quite a bit. You have just enough detail in those tree trunks to make that bottom half interesting.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Always nice stuff in here.

Makin' trees look sexy

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

It's snowy and I can't go do poo poo so you get another photo.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I like the contrast a lot, reminds me of wet plate photography. Except you actually have a sky!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

ElroySmin posted:

Calcium deposits in Turkey - I really should have composed/cropped the right side of that image to give it some balance
I like this photo. Could you try a square crop? Holding up my hands it looks like it would balance nicely if you centered it to the left a bit.

Found this place randomly in northwest Oklahoma. Color or B&W?

I forgot to throw on the polarizer since my car was going to be towed in 15 minutes and I had to run 1.5 miles down a mountain sooooo

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Whitezombi posted:

What was the nearest town?
Fairview. Google Maps link to exact location. I found the general area by looking at topographical maps and Google street view.

Here's a better color version; I'm always conservative with colors. I still like the B&W version better.

e: also I hadn't calibrated in about two weeks; ever since I upgraded to Windows 7 Huey doesn't prompt me every 48 hours for calibration. No wonder no one liked the first color version.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 9, 2010

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

northward posted:

You had a good idea here, the processing is just flat and the position of the people could be better.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

TomR posted:

On the black and white image: Mask out the sky and process it separately if there's enough density (or information, whatever) there to pull out more contrast. I'm not sure the framing is appropriate for the subject, perhaps fiddle with that? The textures are nice. This feels like an image I would shoot and fiddle with a lot and ultimately end up saying "I just need to go reshoot this with a different mindset." It's frustrating, I know.

The second image is good technically, but don't fall into the "WOW THAT'S A PRETTY SKY" mystique; it takes more than a nice sky. I actually think you could have a nice photo if you cropped out the rocks and tried a square crop on THIS image, perhaps creating just a bit more tonal variance between the sky and the water while doing so.

Dread Head posted:

One from the weekend.

I like this. Pleasant balance. You should go back (if possible) and shoot when the sun is lower, too.

fenner posted:

These are all pleasing images and are well done. I think only the first one stands out as a "winner" shot, owing to the interesting object, the tone of the sky, and overall warmth of the image.

Went back to Gloss Mountains. Spent most of my time eating a sandwich and just sitting there, but I eventually made some photos. Remembered to bring the polarizer this time, as well.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Whitezombi posted:

coooooooooooool

e: okay more specifically, this does what you see a million photos TRY to do, and does it well: it makes the clouds the subject, and you can FEEL them. They have presence. The slice of Petroglyph below is probably the best way I've seen those three little mountain thing portrayed. They feel small as they are in the context of New Mexico, a footnote to the glorious sky that was around this weekend.

Really, really, like it because it's what I see when I look at that skyline from a distance, but never thought to portray it like that.

Anyway, a made a few token shots while on a trip

JAY ZERO SUM GAME fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 12, 2010

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

octane2 posted:

Click the images to view them on a black background so shadow detail is revealed.

H
The waterfall is a nice exposure, but it would be nice if it had something to do with the seals you mentioned.

The mountain sunrise, though, has all the pieces. Excellent.

fenner posted:

Fantastic.

Whitezombi posted:

Didn't see that you had added these. What was the deleted one? Where did you shoot these?
The deleted one was a crappy shot from Santa Fe; gonna look at it again this week. The other two were up near that Ghost Ranch place, I reckon. I agree that the tree shot is best, but there were fences below I didn't want to cross; I wasn't sure how protective people may have been in the area.

----

So I finally found out, two weeks later than anticipated, that I won a place in a week long access to Valles Caldera the first week of June. I have no clue what I'm doing. My only real plan is to wake up at 4AM every morning to be in place for specific shots every day, and repeat the same thing in the evening. I just ordered a few more batteries and CF cards; anyone have any other advice for this sort of thing?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Son, I haven't even been camping since I was 14, and that was in a nice prepared camping area.

I'm going to die.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Hi dorks.

So many awesome photos here lately.

Valles Caldera.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

octane2 posted:

Being way too conservative here. Make that poo poo pop. Goes from a has ran to a "Print it 40x60" if you do.

The VC shots were all digital. I even had a film camera with me, just never used it. That's the final nail there, as far as I'm concerned, more so after I got exactly what I wanted out of those, especially the fourth one. Glad you like them.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

8th-samurai posted:

Just swell.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Couple of panoramas that I have mixed feelings about.

I assume that's afternoon light, so camp out and shoot just before the sun rises. Probably move to the right 50 feet or so, though that's hard to tell. Change the composition.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Every image on this page has something I like, and shows a talent I wish I had. Great. Stuff.

East Lake posted:

I like this best of your set. The underexposed feeling of all of them is pleasant. Quiet.

Whitezombi posted:

Yep. I like your skies, always; of course it's not terribly difficult out that way.

octane2 posted:

H
The crazy blue at top center and the trunk on the left both need to go. Then it's awesome.

Dread Head posted:

I'm afraid people are starting to ignore you because of your habit of turning out things that always looked the same not long ago. This is different. It's beautiful. I know it's an expensive hurdle, but shots like this really benefit from a T/S lens or large format camera that has movements. Nice job.

Reichstag posted:

I've seen this sort of thing with my own eyes a million times, but you're so good at capturing a basic scene and showing us how you see it differently.

----

I did this thing.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

scottch posted:

Very austere and looks great. What filters?

Red filter and polarizer.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Did I pull this off and if so, is it a nice improvement.

If you want to get your panties in a wad about manipulating an image too much, the moon was around but I could not get a shot where I wanted it to be. So I fixed that.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Check it out: He got that photo because he was trying. He says it's a fluke, but he was looking for photos. Just didn't plan the rainbow.

But you can.

(rainbows: get on the west side of retreating showers in the afternoon. Is there a forecast of showers moving past that perfect spot? Be there.)

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I'm so much more interested in the forest behind the waterfall, Dread Head.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Hotwax Residue posted:

Dodge that stump or whatever it is in the foreground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I am Very Original

Bell Rock by Bryan Cook, on Flickr

E: one more for now, 1920px wide version available on flickr

Coconino National Forest by Bryan Cook, on Flickr

JAY ZERO SUM GAME fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 4, 2011