Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
Also why does half this forum live in the Pacific Northwest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

more expired eeprom stuff

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
i was tthinking of printing these as a pair but havent got around to it

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

Twenties Superstar fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 13, 2021

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
thank u to everyone who took the time to say something about my picture. while not meant for me i found your comments interesting and i really value the thoughts from folks in here

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
That rocks

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
ic an play this game too

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

xzzy posted:

My issue with the color version is it's pretty low contrast. There was smoke haze, the greens were kinda dingy, and the mountains were pretty flat. I didn't feel color brought anything to the table. If you care to form an opinion on your own, here's an unedited export: https://i.imgur.com/3cyJ9cv.jpg

imo trying to hide the haze is a mistake. other people have pointed out it looks a little crushed. personally i like the subtly shifting tones of the haze. i think it comes of even better in the colour version from the blue wood smoke on muted greens. nice picture in any case

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
personally i think it could have been pulled a bit (hard to say) but the images being much more about the composition of generic elements and light i feel it is undesireable to coomplicate things with whatever logo is on the side of the truck

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

Wild EEPROM posted:

good poo poo

its the last of that neopan i need to re up

(this is a different film)

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

:eyepop:

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGq8sqaBVyE

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
what if aesthetics are the subject

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
it must be hard for the judges to choose when all the pictures look the same

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

Jerm324 posted:

I feel like you could say this about any type of landscape "genre" if said genre isn't your thing.

this is true of course and i dont really care if anybody else likes the photos. as has been pointed out they are meant to be likeable.

individually there are many fine photos there i think but when you look at them in aggregate the illusion is totaly dispelled for me. no one artist is distinct enough that you could tell who did what if you shuffled them around. or if you did a google image search for nice mountain landscape or leaves on water or snowy tree picture you could probably swap those in and out and not notice the difference. i think they are all hewing as close as they can to same set of ideal beautiful landscape photos as those that are churned into desktop wallpapers or come heavily watermarked by flickr dads with prosumer hardware.

ive seen a lot of photos and ive seen a lot of (actual) landscapes (brag) but nothing in there inspires anything of the grandeur or sense of excitment and adventure of the real thing. like megabound said they remind me more of the dentists office, or the furniture in an airbnb, or a picturesque scene in a video game than a real place. these awards are never given to anybody trying something novel or innovative and as a result they are just a celebration of mediocrity. id like to reward people who have a vision that surprises you and pushes things forward. sure some of the artists are lugging their gear up a mountain side to get their shot but the power of what they see is not captured in their photos where they always stay on the paved trail.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
its tired to say but its a real shame that the risk / reward is so skewed for a little bit of fence hopping down there

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
ive lost track of this conversation also but in general i think nurturing a sense of what your tools can do before you pick them up and use them will make you better and more efficient at doing so.

an interesting comment made above regarding photography and the transformation from 3d to 2d (re bobmarleysghosts excellent photos). the idea of translation is essential to photography i think and being able to intellectually grapple with the transformation that occurs between reality and print before you put the viewfinder up to your eye is for me a big part of "the work" of photography

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

theHUNGERian posted:

Is it intentionally this much out of focus?

Inject it straight into my veins.

i dont always mean to but i like how it looks anyway

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
thakns

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
i hope it doesnt dispell the illusion but they were taken in bc and the trunks are actually douglas fir!

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
That's a real nice one

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
thjank u both

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
yeah thats right im almost out unfortunately but its pretty remarkable how chunky that film can be

heres a crop from an underexposed shot at 100% i really enjoy the impressionistic quality of it though i dont think im personally deft enough to really make good use of that

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

lovely colours the tracks in the foreground really make this one for me

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

all ur stuff on the last couple pages really clicks for me

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
i would describe that as wooly prettyu cool

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
thanks i appreciate that. personally im a little torn on the police tape - there are a few things that i like about them which (imo) is that they work well in the composition, are something a bit dynamic, and they fit in with the concept / theme in general. i think you are right though that maybe it is a bit much. its fortunate that they work on those levels but maybe a simpler more static scene would be better. idk i keep going back and forth the more i look at it

with the cactus i m more certain that i like it as is. youre definitely right that it would pop more in colour (the colour is lovely i remember it clearly) its a nice scene but i think a more boring one. i kind of like the supposed subject being an organic foil to the rigid geometry of the scene. its kind of funny. i dont want to overthink it

thank you again for the crit i didnt want to be dismissive in my response i thought about it pretty much all day before i wrote back and i think youve really guided me in a productive way

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
Thanks

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU