Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
opening dough is scary for a reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

drat that sign might as well say NO FUN

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

film shots from biking trips

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Ansco Pix Panorama 35mm. You can get them unopened for 10-15 bucks

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Ansco_Pix_Panorama

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

tuna posted:

Thanks, that's a lot of fun for the price.

Everything is just so cinematic when panoramic, I keep expecting someone to emerge from the trees in this shot.

Considering it was taken in Ocala National Forest in FL it’d likely be someone protecting their meth camp and that would be very bad :v:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Ignore me in the frame and the compression but I've been doing some video stuff and I'm very frustrated that my video stills are better than the photos I'm getting of the same scenes. Davinci Resolve color tools are so much better than Lightroom et all.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Couple of panos as a follow up to my prev post

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Wish that edge of trailer wasn't on the right

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Blackhawk posted:

I dig them, what 6x12 are you using to take them?

Bottom Liner posted:

Ansco Pix Panorama 35mm. You can get them unopened for 10-15 bucks

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Ansco_Pix_Panorama

I popped out the pano gate on it, time to see if I broke it

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

In LR Classic it'll be the purple slider under lens corrections (I think), but it will clean that up pretty well.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 5, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

too wide but I can't really figure out a crop I like

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

killing time before a flight in LA

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

755A9961-Pano-Enhanced-SR

755A9994-Pano-Enhanced-SR

was sure when shooting the diagonal view would be better but now I'm pretty sure the front is better, but I didn't give enough vertical room to get a good 6x17 crop so ultra wide it is. I like the exposure better in the second as well. I used the super resolution scaling in lightroom and the full size files are nearly 200 mb each as jpegs, which is crazy to me.

and a tigher crop for detail. You can read the graffiti wall inside at 100%

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 28, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Incredulous Dylan posted:

I had Botton Liner’s wide photos from a page or two back on the brain and thought a wave would be cool cropped wide. My dumb rear end was just wading out to a sandbar with my camera above my head and hopping when waves would break. Probably looked hilarious from the beach!

I thought this story was going to end in tragedy because my browser didn't load your pic in the above post at first.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Wish I had all of that pretty mossy-looking undergrowth to wander through.

Today I went out to find a new spring (Silver Springs in Ocala) and hit up that DEET - not a single bite...except almost being bit by an angry monkey. Not sure how the hell there were a bunch of monkeys just jumping through the trees in North Florida. This guy came out right in front of me to pick some grapes and then got pissed because I was there. Of course my dumb rear end had to get a shot out of it but that's the closest I've gotten to something like that with a 35mm.

Silver Springs rules. We go kayaking there and it's wild to look down and see manatees just chilling all around you within arms reach. They like to swim right under you while you cruise too. I would not be on land with the monkeys though, gently caress that.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Hmm, quick glance at the map showing the path and I bet Monument Valley would be great. Would definitely benefit from looking into details of sun position in the sky and staking out a spot well in advance.

I'd probably try to find something more remote though, as any of the known spots will be more crowded than usual and if Utah is like the Grand Canyon Oct will be crazy.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

field balm posted:

These are just incredible. I get a big part of it is just beautiful places with amazing lighting but you obviously have a great eye for this.

What length lens are you shooting with? Also, out of interest do you you do a lot of editing for this end result? The canyons are especially mindblowing for me, having never seen landscapes like that in real life.

Thanks. Those are all either 35mm or 85mm, I think that's all I took on that trip. For editing, I apply a color profile I made in Davinci Resolve to match either Fuji or Portra films and converted to Lightroom profiles then my curves preset and adjust from there. It's a great 2 step system because modern Lightroom lets you adjust the amount of both profiles and presets so you can dial both up or down as needed. This is a before/after for those profiles on a wedding portrait for example:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

some before/afters of those, as well as a fun discovery that some of them were shot on an old D3200 I forgot about. I took it to do some video clips but shot some stuff on it when I didn't want to change lenses I guess.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

They're pretty consistent to me, but I would also try cooling them all a fair bit. The warm tones feel more rain forest than lush old woods.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 26, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

ImplicitAssembler posted:

It is a rain forest..

Let me rephrase it then, the warm yellows make me think more tropical than old growth woods.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Depending on your geolocation, early morning is your best bet for the most fog/mist/dew. Try +/- 30 mins from sunrise.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Great

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

very cool

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I don’t think anyone is trying to grow any community on SA either.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Viginti Septem posted:

Thanks for the comments everyone. A lot to think about posted here. Continue shooting and sharing, and have a great day.

-vs ✌️

I’ll add an actual helpful idiom that I try to think about for every photo. A good edit can’t save a bad photo, but a bad edit can ruin a good photo. I don’t think your edit was good, the colors are unnatural and the exposure is pushed too much across the scene in a way that approaches bad HDR. But editing aside, that photo wasn’t anything interesting to start with. It’s a generic street view shot and nothing more. There is probably a good composition on the far left with the store signs and the light hitting them, but in the wider view that can’t make up for the otherwise bland scene.

I’ll echo that it’s not personal. We have all posted bad or boring photos. I think the right approach to posting here is partly to share work you like, but also to learn and improve even if only by observing your ongoing posts or by taking criticisms or compliments in even if they’re harsh.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

bobmarleysghost posted:

I love Friedlander's America by car and I can say that work is an influence.

Aside, can folks link any other good photography blogs or digital zines they read and follow like this? I'm trying to rebuild an RSS feed for photography and a lot of my old stuff is either paywalled now or moved entirely to social media.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yep, I love that mix of old and new. Train shot is my favorite and curious on your focal length for these.

2nd and 4th are 35mm, rest are 50mm

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That purple blue cast interior shot is wild. What’s going on with that lighting? Looks daylight outside

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Really like that B&W sim. Does it show the sim on the LCD as shooting?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

also inspired these while doing a car shoot

I guess these count as landscape too. Having never really shot cars, my plan was to just put it in a good landscape scene, but we only had midday light to work with. Turned out ok though.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 17, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

xzzy posted:

Canon lets you customize it quite a bit. I have the 'info' button set to toggle between a display with the level and a histogram and a display with zero hud elements. It lets you have up to four configs but I find cycling through a bunch annoying so I just use the two.

That's what I do too. One with everything I use, one with nothing.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

for some reason this is way higher contrast in chrome than it is in LR, so pretend it's not as harsh (especially on the left highlights)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I did last time I posted some NYC shots :v: but I kept coming back to this one and trying to make it work because I like the light and overall cscene. Though now looking at it the street being off center is bugging me.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I don't think a vertical crop works at all as that leading line is mostly obscured by the trees. I liked the intersecting streets and cars on the horizontal in the scene.

xzzy posted:

Issue with the NYC photo is the brightest area is the least interesting. Eyes are gonna stick to light.

I agree with this, probably needed about 10-15 mins more to let the light even out more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006