Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

xzzy posted:

I don't really have a suggestion, I think the current aspect ratio is the best choice. But if I was there I probably would have angled the camera a couple degrees left to avoid including it. But maybe the scene wouldn't allow that, I wasn't there.

So again it's not really a critique, just curious what the process was. Most would consider it a distraction to eliminate so it was interesting to see it left in.

I think keeping the aspect but coming in on the bottom and right makes for a better comp. You cut out the extra trees, center the two main ones, and still get some of that crazy texture at the bottom.

Also, why did adobe make saving a simple JPEG such a stupidly long process now in photoshop? Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Semi agree, could come down a bit at the top but i really liked where the trees were in frame originally

Real answer is obviously to go back and shoot it again!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

luv rocks

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Wide or long landscapes aren't better or worse, but wide is vastly overdone because that's the lenses almost everyone has. Even with high end glass, wide angle is a lot cheaper. I do agree wide is a lot harder to fill the frame correctly with. Wide generally gives a better sense of scale when done well, and can feel more visceral since it is closer to our natural FOV.

Shooting long on landscapes does give you an entirely new perspective, since it is so different than what our eyes see. It lets you easily isolate your subjects and draw focus a lot more directly too. The results generally stand out more in the crowded field of wide shots.

I tend to like landscape shots like this the most though, where you could tell me it was taken at 24mm or 200mm and both seem plausible. Too often the ultra-wide shots are more about the extreme angle than the content, and super long (400+) looks too compressed.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I think this is the most interesting part of the scene.

I don’t think there’s much use trying to tinker and analyze that shot too much beyond cropping out a lot of the clutter in the frame. I assume it was a “hey the sunset looks really good now” shot without much thought for the composition and foreground beyond that? My advice would be to go shoot a sunset again but compose the entire shot beforehand to compliment the sky and not just be busy filler in most of the frame.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

that's the good stuff

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

me banging on a table after every post "turn the sliders down 90%"

that one is way overcooked

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I like the wider better too but move your horizon either up or down and crop off the top or bottom.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That’s much better. I don’t think I have seen any use of sepia on digital files that ever looked good vs just B&W.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Can't decide on a crop for this. The lighting was pretty flat today but I like the scene.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

blue squares posted:

So good! What aperture did you use? They look so sharp from front to back. Or multiple photos blended?

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Love these and geeze they are sharp as hell. I know we don't discuss much gear here, but I am a bit curious what you shot these with.

Those were on a Nikon D750 and 85 1.8 all at f/8. The middle one is a pano of about 5 images.

xzzy posted:

My only comment is the top one has a fencepost along the bottom edge (left of center) that looks like an eyelash fell on a negative.

Oh my god I hate you for pointing that out.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Big Buttes

Does anyone know why lightroom can't Enhance these? They're old adobe .DNG files I want to run through Denoise.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jan 13, 2024

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Are those Monument Valley? Nice sunsets!

Yeah, Mon Valley. Are yours Bryce? Looks real familiar.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

username + post

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Don't drunk post

That basketball goal one is killer

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

more Zion

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

xzzy posted:

Gotta love how they tell people not to stand on that bridge.. and we all do it anyways.

Maybe they should give the bridge a proper pedestrian path.

Really? Is that a newer policy? I haven't been in a while, since before Angels' had a lottery permit system at least.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

not sure about the last one in color. had almost no light left and the shadows are pretty crushed. the tree stands out a lot more in B&W too.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

determined to get a good shot of this patch. this is probably my favorite so far.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Do you have more of that container stack? the colors are wild. Really like the silo shots too.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I've yet to find a stitching solution that can handle powerlines. Tried 4 different programs, might have to dig out the PC and use the old Microsoft ICE for this shot. Wanted to get it before the sun was down but it was raining and the sign wasn't on. Might try again with a longer focal length, but I also like how tiny it is in that space.

100% crop

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 7, 2024

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Mostly just handheld, but I have toyed with the idea of getting a dedicated head for it since I do them often enough. The problem is I'm usually not carrying a tripod or even a bag that could carry one, often just on my bike with the camera in the handlebar bag. I'd say Lightroom handles it fine 90% of the time, but that 10% is a massive pain that mostly kills the shot.

Viginti Septem posted:

Re: power lines. How many photos are you taking for that stitch?

That was 4 shots, but I did one with 8 for more overlap and it had even worse breaks in the lines.

Using a calculator, that shot comes out to the equivalent of a 27mm f/0.7 shot which is cool.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 6, 2024

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

755A4823-Pano by david childers, on Flickr

755A4831-Pano by david childers, on Flickr

755A4842-Pano by david childers, on Flickr

755A4926-Pano by david childers, on Flickr

Not sure which aspect ratio I prefer on the first.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Feb 12, 2024

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

755A4816-Pano by david childers, on Flickr

755A4816-Pano-2 by david childers, on Flickr

Decided on this tighter framing, but now I can't decide between color or not. The tree on the right isn't cut off in the real crop either, ignore the export border I put on it

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q9i_HEOkxo

Super informative video going in depth with how lighting and sunsets work. Most of it is a good explanation of things we know intuitively, but some of it is very counter-intuitive and will be very helpful in future shooting (like light getting harsher even as it dims after the sun sets). I never considered that being the case with the sun even though it works exactly the same with strobes. I just assumed the atmospheric diffusion would outweigh that effect, but cool to see examples of the opposite.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 16, 2024

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

trail (2 of 2) by david childers, on Flickr

trail (1 of 2) by david childers, on Flickr

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

GC (3 of 11) by david childers, on Flickr

GC (9 of 11) by david childers, on Flickr

GC (10 of 11) by david childers, on Flickr

GC (11 of 11) by david childers, on Flickr

GC (1 of 11) by david childers, on Flickr

some favorites from the Grand Canyon rim to river via South Kaibab

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 21, 2024

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

west (1 of 8) by david childers, on Flickr

west (6 of 8) by david childers, on Flickr

west (5 of 8) by david childers, on Flickr

west (4 of 8) by david childers, on Flickr

Abandoned waterpark in the middle of the desert

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Nothing like it, absolute favorite trail I’ve ever seen. Even in the Grand Canyon, South Kaibab is next level beautiful.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

NM (1 of 4) by david childers, on Flickr

NM (2 of 4) by david childers, on Flickr

NM (3 of 4) by david childers, on Flickr

NM (4 of 4) by david childers, on Flickr

New Mexico views yesterday

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

GC (1 of 1) by david childers, on Flickr

GC (3 of 4) by david childers, on Flickr

GC (2 of 4) by david childers, on Flickr

GC (4 of 4) by david childers, on Flickr

Some more grand canyon, trying to work with the midday sun is tough

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

(1 of 1) by david childers, on Flickr

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

They all work together but I think they’d all be improved with the more dynamic lighting of the one with the bright sun + shadow falling on it. Or all completely flat but boosted exposure so the colors pop out a little.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

bw (1 of 4) by david childers, on Flickr

bw (3 of 4) by david childers, on Flickr

bw (2 of 4) by david childers, on Flickr

bw (4 of 4) by david childers, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I was in downtown Tallahassee shooting news photos of the tornado aftermath and I looked up and saw it. The power was out in most of the city so I was able to get some shots of it with little light pollution. It moved fast though. Still can't believe my first aurora was in fuckin' Florida