Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
It's strange but I'm a sucker for portrait-oriented landscapes. I like normal landscapes too, but when I'm out taking pictures I just find more interesting portrait oriented shots than normal ones. I feel pretty dumb, but what can ya do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

MMD3 posted:

I think you took some good pictures while in Switzerland. I remember the Swiss Alps were one of my favorite things about Europe.

This picture is pretty much exactly what I remember when I think about Switzerland. Absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for posting the set.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Dread Head posted:

Very cool setting but the photo is a bit flat. edit: maybe "dull" is a better word, not sure.

Also I've noticed over time that whenever I have a picture with a similar composition to this- where I am shooting up a hill but not getting sky or something else to balance out the photo, I am rarely happy with the picture. I have taken lots of landscapes w/out the sky in them and have been happy with many, it's just shots of inclines with a dark area at the top always feel like they are incomplete to me.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Wubble posted:

Really liking the sky in this one, nice editing... the contrast suits the image well.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Posted this in PAD a while back, but I really liked this setting. It is a supposedly haunted hotel so I tried a new technique to process it for a 'haunted' look while trying to not make it too dark.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Wubble posted:

Very nice sky in this, I like the composition as well.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Reichstag posted:

I like both of these.

From this past weekend:

Nice shot!

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Mannequin posted:

I think you picked the wrong orientation for this photo. Cutting off the building on the left makes me unhappy, and by having it in portrait orientation, I'm not really seeing anything particularly interesting with the trees or sky.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

fenner posted:

I can't stop making stuff B&W...

Loved these 2 (3). For the black and white one, why don't you just try getting rid of all the blue/aqua in the picture, leaving the oranges and yellows. I think you're losing a little something by not having some color behind those silhouettes.

--

Took this one yesterday. I am pretty fond of it:

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Haven't viewed this thread in a while so I am playing catch up.

Reichstag posted:

Making rocks look sexy.

Without your explanation I probably wouldn't have given this a second look, but with it, I love this photo... haha, nice job!

spf3million posted:

Chinese haze: ruining contrast since the dawn of photography.

If you felt like going back to reprocess this you could try upping the black levels for everything except the waterfall area for some added contrast... this is a beautiful setting and still a nice picture.

octane2 posted:

This is awesome, love the water and mist. I like your processing choices.

northward posted:

Cool setting but I don't think it looks good when you have strong shadows dominating the bottom of a photo.

fenner posted:

Ahhhh, this is gorgeous! Where is this at??

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

MrBlandAverage posted:

Apparently there are waterfalls in Illinois.

Looks awesome. Wish it wasn't a 4 hour drive. :(

I only ever posted photos from my trip to Thailand in the trip report thread I created, but I figured I'd throw a few in here. These are a few months old. I honestly have no clue how I was able to be there for 9 days and only take a handful of photos that I still really like, but that's life I guess.

I blame Joey Lawrence and his work with native tribes. I SHOULD HAVE DONE THAT DAMNIT.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

MrBlandAverage posted:

I thought you were in Champaign? (Per the roll call thread.) Mattheissen is only 2 hours from there...

Oh, yes you are correct.

I google "Garden of the Gods" per Torgeaux and it told me it was in the Shawnee National Forest downstate. Cool deal!

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Flew Illinois > Hawaii and I had a window seat.

Also, is it just me or is the new Flickr a total piece of poo poo to link from? I had to right-click and go to properties and copy the image url instead of just selecting the box at the bottom of the page and hitting copy. Is that still there and I just missed it?

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Dread Head posted:

I suppose it could be my monitor but the colors are a bit wonky.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

InternetJunky posted:

I've found myself taking a lot less wildlife shots recently and a lot more landscapes, but I don't even know where to begin on post-processing for these. Any advice would be most welcome...

Straighten it and then don't do a single other thing.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Cross posting, but I haven't been taking as many landscapes lately so I figured I'd contribute the rare time that I do.

The White City by Myotomy, on Flickr

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

aliencowboy posted:

That's a really tight B/W conversion. I wish the dome was centered, but I guess you can yell at the architect for that.

Haha I didn't even notice that it was slightly off center, that makes me feel rather sheepish. I wonder how the dome lines up from the front of the building, as this is technically the rear.

History / Interesting Fact: The building is one of two remaining structures from Chicago's World's Columbian Exposition (World's fair) in 1893. It's now the Museum of Science and Industry.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Here are some landscapes from my recent trip to Alaska:

Untitled by Myotomy, on Flickr

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

vote_no posted:

Awesome, did you go all the way up the Dalton?

Yep! Deadhorse was a bit of a letdown, but I really shouldn't have let my imagination run wild with a town like that.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Two recent ones I've liked:

West Baden at French Lick by Myotomy, on Flickr

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Randos:

North Ave Winter by Myotomy, on Flickr

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Nuclear Dreamscape by Myotomy, on Flickr

RangerScum fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Feb 28, 2013

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Reichstag posted:

That's paper.

Thanks and thanks to everyone else for the kind words.

The Empty Hospital by Myotomy, on Flickr

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

The Bridge to Someplace New by Myotomy, on Flickr

RangerScum fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 23, 2013

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

joelcamefalling posted:

You managed to make a photo of phi phi don interesting and not cliche. So I think you succeeded.

Oranges/Magentas and greens on the boats are entering neon territory, but the sky is fine.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Great Sand Dunes National Park in Colorado.

Great Sand Dunes by TomOlson, on Flickr

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Badlands by TomOlson, on Flickr

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

tiercel posted:

Every time a photographer disables downloading my desktop cries.

PMed.

Bottom Liner posted:

drat dude. Can you give some pointers to getting the night sky to be so perfect?

Masking. The original sky was already pretty good with both the reddish area on the right and some stars visible in a medium blue relatively well-lit sky. What made a big difference was when I took another photo I had taken of just the stars, converted it to black & white, and dropped it in over the sky in the photo in a layer using overlay blending. The b&w star layer boosted the colors present in the sky, and all I did from that point was fix up the horizon and heal out some stars in the lighter part of the photo... the ones still visible are visible in the original exposure so I just left them in since I guess they fit the "realism" criteria.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

xzzy posted:

I'm going to guess those are car headlights on the hills.

You are correct, though I am not 100% sure that you're actually guessing! Atomicthumbs, I don't think a single pair of headlights are quite as bright as you're assuming... I didn't do anything special, it's just a single 30 second exposure.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Below by TomOlson, on Flickr

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Perch by TomOlson, on Flickr

American by TomOlson, on Flickr

Untitled by TomOlson, on Flickr

RangerScum fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 19, 2013

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

RangerScum fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 18, 2013

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Reedited this, like it better now.

USS Midway by TomOlson, on Flickr

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
More like rule of lol.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

VelociBacon posted:

Here's one of the shots I took, would love any feedback that might help me improve:

You really shouldn't have included that poo poo at the bottom. Without it this would be a really badass photo IMHO.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Going to have about a million posts in here for the next week or so.

Pripyat by TomOlson, on Flickr

Pripyat Streets by TomOlson, on Flickr

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Mont Saint-Michel by TomOlson, on Flickr

Prague Christmas Market by TomOlson, on Flickr

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

StarkingBarfish posted:

it does that once every hour I think? Certainly it's only a show that lasts a few minutes then it goes back to being just a tower.

You are correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

City of Light by TomOlson, on Flickr

Praha New Year by TomOlson, on Flickr