Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
I've never shoot landscape so I decided to give it a try while I was in Colorado.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

penneydude posted:

Where in Colorado were you? I live in Fort Collins, and I absolutely love Colorado sunsets, but for me they're hard to get a good shot of without looking cliche because here everyone and their mom (literally) has a stack of about a thousand lame snapshots of them.

I really like the second and third of yours though, the third especially.

Thanks. I was in Westcliffe.

Whitezombi fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 23, 2009

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Hopefully soon I can get out and try and shoot some epic poo poo like I see in this thread. The pics you guys are posting are amazing.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Dread Head posted:

Really digging the black sky although I feel it is a bit empty at the top. Looks like quite the location where is it and what is that structure at the top?

Thanks. I'll see what a 16:9 crop looks like.

It's the Sandia Mountains in Albuquerque New Mexico. Those are various towers for cell phones, radio, etc.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

I'm doing some pretty heavy experimenting on processing with these landscapes. I have an idea of some places I want to shoot and process this way.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Where are all the pics guys??

I went to Taos New Mexico last weekend. I took a bunch of shots at the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge.

brad industry posted:

I think what is interesting to me about these is how they lose the sense of scale and perspective with the dark skies. I would pursue it more along those lines when you're shooting, rather than as an after-the-fact processing thing.
I agree. I shot a few things while in Taos with this in mind. I will try and process them sometime in the next week.

Whitezombi fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 20, 2009

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

MrFrosty posted:

This weekend I decided to drive 4 hours so I could wake up at 4am the next day and climb a drat hill. At least something good came out of it (I hope :v:)

8th-samurai posted:

Here are a few from my recent cross country trip.

drat guys. Awesome shots.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

man thats gross posted:

You've probably mentioned this before, but what kind of glass are you running for most of these shots? I really like your landscape work.

Thanks. All of these were shot with the Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS kit lens. I'm replacing it tomorrow with the Tamron 17-50 2.8 - can't wait!

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

I think it's a pretty decent lens for the price. I just needed something faster. I'm going to get a 10-22 next.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Radbot posted:

Oh hells yes. Don't you DARE listen to anyone who says these are too dark. Get the color one printed on Kodak Endura Metallic and the black and white ones on true black and white paper immediately.

Thanks. I really need to get a bunch of prints made. I have yet to print any of my stuff.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

The view from Sandia Crest.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

fenner posted:

This shot is amazing, I stole it for my desktop and everytime I tab to desktop it blows me away. Care to share your processing technique on this masterpiece?

Thanks. I use Lightroom. I did a basic grayscale conversion from Lightroom and then made a ton of adjustments from there. I could give you all the numbers here but I will just link to the EXIF - it shows the exact numbers.

I made a preset that I can email you if you use Lightroom.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

fenner posted:

Would love it :) send it to fenner.no.u@googlemail.com thanks a lot and keep shooting

Just sent it.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Radbot posted:

Whitezombi - Are you filtering these somehow (with a filter or a red-biased channel mixer selection in Photoshop)? The skies look brilliant, perhaps I'm just not used to seeing such beautiful haze-free skies here in Southern California.

Nope. Part of it could be the way I process in Lightroom but the skies here in New Mexico pretty much look this way.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Interrupting Moss posted:

That's good.

Burn the bottom area a bit, then it's great.

(or use a 5 filter in the printing, if these are film... don't think so though)

Good texture on the second one, too, though the DOF blur at the bottom is distracting.

Thanks. These are digital. What bottom area?

Fukushima is gorgeous.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

The entire mountainous region. Specifically, the lower left area could use a bit more contrast, and the bluff in general increased in brightness a bit.

I've hacked away at it to show you; the quality would be much better if performed on a TIFF file from the RAW.

If you're really into digital B&W, Nik Software's Silver Efex Pro is excellent.

Thanks. I see what you are saying. The dark area right in the middle is actually shadow but the more I look at it it doesn't stand out enough. I'll have to check out the software - little expensive tho.

SKULE123 posted:

I love this - I really want to go to Iceland.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Thanks. I took this on the East side of the Sandia Mountains facing East. I took this in September and I have a bunch to process still.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Split-toning look to this, less vignetting, similar structure look.

This is going to be printed and hung in a particular place, and the selenium look was going to be too cold.

Pretty happy with this.

The vignetting looks the same.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

If you are going to hike get a walking staff with a built in camera mount.

I have this one and it's great - really light.

http://www.rei.com/product/745686

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

I forgot to post this with the other 2 a few weeks back.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

I like this photo. Could you try a square crop? Holding up my hands it looks like it would balance nicely if you centered it to the left a bit.

Found this place randomly in northwest Oklahoma. Color or B&W?

I forgot to throw on the polarizer since my car was going to be towed in 15 minutes and I had to run 1.5 miles down a mountain sooooo

What was the nearest town? B&W.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Fairview. Google Maps link to exact location. I found the general area by looking at topographical maps and Google street view.

Here's a better color version; I'm always conservative with colors. I still like the B&W version better.

I do not know how I missed that place - I went water skiing at Canton Lake all the drat time. Must have been the massive amounts of beer and weed.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Whitezombi fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 3, 2010

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

coooooooooooool

e: okay more specifically, this does what you see a million photos TRY to do, and does it well: it makes the clouds the subject, and you can FEEL them. They have presence. The slice of Petroglyph below is probably the best way I've seen those three little mountain thing portrayed. They feel small as they are in the context of New Mexico, a footnote to the glorious sky that was around this weekend.

Really, really, like it because it's what I see when I look at that skyline from a distance, but never thought to portray it like that.

Thanks. I see that every day when I bike/drive to work. I picked a friend up from work and this is the view from the parking lot. I had been looking for a really good place to shoot the volcanoes on the west mesa and I stumbled upon it.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Didn't see that you had added these. What was the deleted one? Where did you shoot these?

A couple from today.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

So I finally found out, two weeks later than anticipated, that I won a place in a week long access to Valles Caldera the first week of June. I have no clue what I'm doing. My only real plan is to wake up at 4AM every morning to be in place for specific shots every day, and repeat the same thing in the evening. I just ordered a few more batteries and CF cards; anyone have any other advice for this sort of thing?

I hate you. :argh: Congrats! So you are taking me right!?!?

I hope I win the September lottery. Have you ever camped in the Jemez area before?

Whitezombi fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 17, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Son, I haven't even been camping since I was 14, and that was in a nice prepared camping area.

I'm going to die.

Well it sounds like you need a guide and it just so happens I am free that week. lol