Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I haven't really done much landscape but it's certainly something I'd like to get into more. I guess generally I have a hard time planning my life around waking up early enough to get to the scenic areas while the light's good.

Here are some shots I took while on vacation in Switzerland this summer, I posted a few in PAD but I'd love to have some critique on them so I can know what to improve upon the next time I set out to shoot some mountains.

Even telling me which you feel are strongest or if I overdid it with the processing will help me out a lot. I processed them all in Lightroom from RAW 5d MkII files. Most of them were shot with my 24mm prime f/1.4 so I was a little limited compositionally.

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Sep 24, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

killabyte posted:

The composition isn't bad (would have liked to have seen more of the sky perhaps) but the colors are kind of garish. It looks overly processed. Can you post the original?

Agreed, way too saturated, I'd tone it down a bit.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
somebody should organize a Landscape photo trade/sale operation... maybe trade prints or high-res copies (for print) with other photogs or authorize one person to print/sell them all in SA Mart with a cut going to the photogs and a cut going to the person handling the printing/shipping.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
was playing with some long exposures sans-tripod a few months back. This is on the Oregon coast at Cannon Beach.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

scottch posted:

Jesus Christ. I may shoot Nikon SLR, but I am definitely getting an S90 next time I need a P&S.

wait, who in the thread is shooting with an S90?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

spf3million posted:

Aww thanks! :3: It's small enough to always have in my backback and on that particular trip, I only had an ultrawide zoom for the dslr so the little extra reach came in handy.

it looks like it's just the one shot you used it for though, do you have any more examples from it?

I think an S90 might be my next point and shoot purchase too but I'm not in any hurry so I may wait to see if they update it.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I've been taking my camera on a lot of camping trips lately and want to get into more star and star trail photography but I could really use some tutorials to get me started.

Does anyone have a link to some good write-ups on star photography? exposure times, aperture, ISO, etc.

These are a few I took a few weeks back. The first is of the moon coming up over the lake we camped on. The second is all lit by campfire in the foreground and moonlight in the background.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Whitezombi posted:

mind posting a 1680x1050 version of this?

The processing reminds me a lot of some of Anton Corbijn's color work.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Holistic Detective posted:

Just got back from a week on Skye.

oh wow, these are amazing... and I'm incredibly jealous. I've been to Skye but it was before I was serious about photography. I think I took 30 rolls of film on my trip but probably only shot a roll with on Skye and nothing turned out nearly as amazing.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

aliencowboy posted:

I've been having a lot of fun in the forest.

. . .

these are beautiful, great stuff. would love to see a full series like this in different settings.

This is a cross-post from the PAD thread. Went for a hike in the San Jacinto mountains above Palm Springs yesterday morning.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

brandino posted:

Sup doggy dogs, here's a Hasselblad shot from Yosemite this last weekend:

Half Dome from Glacier Point by bjsmith1984, on Flickr

this is rad, nice job! is this dawn or dusk?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
took a 3 day backpacking trip to the Enchantment Lakes and while the weather was amazing and the larches were perfectly yellow I didn't have much time to stop and shoot a lot, we were sort of rushing through. I'm regretting not setting up a few better shots since I carried my 5dMkII and a tripod the whole way but unfortunately I didn't have a wide enough angle lens to do some of the stuff I would have wanted.

So these are a few pano's that I shot with my 24mm f/1.4 and stitched together in CS5.

I really need to learn how to replace sky on landscapes if anyone has some tutorials they can point me to... I'm not quite sure how to get a great source sky image given that some of these shots have an ungodly large canvas size.

Enchantments_074 by Kent, J, on Flickr
If you view the high res here you can see our camp under the yellow larch near the bottom.

Enchantments_260 by Kent, J, on Flickr
couple of my friends I was backpacking with on the right side here.

Enchantments_212 by Kent, J, on Flickr

for the rest of the set I applied some cross-processing.

Enchantments_095 by Kent, J, on Flickr

Enchantments_186 by Kent, J, on Flickr

Enchantments_181 by Kent, J, on Flickr

Enchantments_316 by Kent, J, on Flickr

Enchantments_323 by Kent, J, on Flickr

lots more here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/justinkent/sets/72157627928346666/with/6259506071/

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Dread Head posted:

Smith?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
wow, there's been some great stuff posted in here in the last couple of pages, I'm really impressed.

I just took a trip to Zion NP for the first time last week. I was starting to work through processing the photos from the trip but somehow the folder is now corrupted in Win7... I've got to figure out if I can recover or I'm going to be really bummed out. Somehow Lightroom can reference all but maybe 10-20 photos in the folder so hopefully I can at least do a bulk export to save the majority of them.

I've been following a lot of landscape photographers on Google+ to get some inspiration as well, not sure if many of you are on G+ but it seems like there's a really vibrant photographer's scene going. I'm actually thinking about taking a workshop from this guy at some point in the future: http://goldpaintphotography.com/

Also looking for a used 16-35mm f/2.8 to pick up, the 24mm f/1.4 just isn't wide enough for most of the hiking trips I've been taking, I can always stitch but it's easier just to get the right composition in a single frame.

What would you guys say is the single most useful lens in your camera bag for landscapes?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
unfortunately since most of the stuff I do when I'm not shooting landscapes on hikes is very low-light concert/event type stuff that lens will cut it for me :( also I'd love to get into star trail photography when I'm camping and I'll need the f/2.8 for that as well.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Cacator posted:

Posted these in PAD but figure they'd apply here as well.

Stechelberg by Cacator, on Flickr

Alps by Cacator, on Flickr

Artistically Placed Tree by Cacator, on Flickr

Don't know if this last one counts:

Staubbach Falls by Cacator, on Flickr

These are beautiful!

GAHHHH, I love Switzerland SO SO much... Lauterbrunnen Valley is amazing.

Here's one of mine from Murren a few years back. I have to get back there soon.

and another from the train from Murren to Winteregg

I should probably reprocess them soon, it's been a long time and they definitely look like they could use some improvements to me now.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

This is from a trip to Zion we took a few weeks back, we stopped off at Valley of Fire State Park on the way (where this is).

iPhone photo processed in-phone using the new VSCO app

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

HeyEng posted:

poo poo man there are like 3 or 4 other really good photos encapsulated in this one great picture. This is where having a huge megapixel helps because you can just crop to the other ones. I'd really like to gently caress around with the RAW file.

Well this was with my 5dMkII and 24mm f/1.4 I took it from a moving train otherwise I would've done some stitched-pano action.

If you'd honestly like to take a look at the RAW shoot me a PM and I wouldn't mind sending it to you.

Cacator posted:

poo poo, I wish the weather was this nice when I went, especially when going up the Schilthorn, although the picture of the Jungfrau I took wouldn't be nearly as dramatic. (I'm pretty sure it's the Jungfrau).

Can you recommend a site to do so? I don't want to enable full size on flickr.

You could upload high-res on Flickr and then make them private and share the link.

Here are a few from the Schilthorn:

This one's looking down on Murren from the Schilthorn gondola.

Murren and that whole surrounding area is one of my favorite places I've ever been, so amazing. I really want to go back in the winter sometime.

If you ever make it back I highly recommend you check out the Via Ferrata they have there.

This is my dad on a fun part of the traverse:

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

titanium posted:

Windy Day at Cinque Terre by Andrew Wong MPLS, on Flickr

Just got back from Italy Saturday and my first outing with my new camera/lenses.

this is beautiful, can't wait to visit Cinque Terre, wonderful colors and composition!

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

MrBlandAverage posted:

hi i went to iceland also

Dettifoss by RHITMrB, on Flickr

uhhhh, Prometheus?

this looks incredible by the way.

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 25, 2012

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
fireworks landscape?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Went backpacking on Mt. Hood over the weekend, brought along the new 16-35mm to give it it's first landscape break-in. Ended up using it almost exclusively the whole time.

McNeil_206

McNeil_120

McNeil_129

McNeil_267

McNeil_214

McNeil_230

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Mathturbator posted:

I've asked this question in the General Photography thread, but I figured this might be a better place to ask, sorry for the crossposting!

I'm planning a trip to Zion National Park later this year, and found this very excellent site:
http://www.citrusmilo.com/zionguide/angelslandingpix.cfm

I link to his description of the hike to Angels Landing, but there's loads of hikes all very well documented with pictures.

The dude is a photographer (I think), and I really like his vivid style. What's he doing to achieve this look? Bumping the clarity slider to the max?

looks like they're HDR, or at least stacked exposures, not a huge fan of them personally but to each their own.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
got home at 4am, slept for 5 hours, woke up and just starting to process photos from last night's Perseid meteor shower.

All in all I felt like I learned a ton about astro-photography from talking to a bunch of great folks. I got a few shots that I'll be happy with but I don't think I captured enough meteors to pull off the stacked shot of a ton of meteors that I was hoping for. I ended up getting impatient with how few meteors I was capturing and started changing up my composition so I think I may be able to composite 4 or 5 into the same frame but definitely not dozens.

Pretty incredible night to be star watching all in all though.

Here's the ISS and 2 meteors over Mt. Hood with reflection from Trillium Lake.

Trillium_095

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 12, 2012

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
a few more from Friday night

Trillium_285

Trillium_009_1600

Trillium_065

my dog photobombed this one

Trillium_036

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Really beautiful stuff man! can't believe I've lived in Oregon my whole life and hardly spent any time exploring the SE corner of the state, I definitely need to plan a roadtrip soon to get down that way.

Great work!

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

quazi posted:

we were once here by jwallacephoto, on Flickr

Glass Front Porch by jwallacephoto, on Flickr

I usually avoid doing this, but how easy is it to notice that the sky in the second photo is from a different shot?

would NOT have noticed had you not mentioned it... beautiful comp ;)

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Reichstag posted:

Both, but every part of that image just looks like a cg render.

so there's something inherently wrong with landscape photographers taking the time to get the right lighting, composition, and focus and then developing for vibrance and saturation? or...?

I get that the shadows are off on this and it's an admitted composite but there are plenty of non-composited landscape photos that have skies like this and I certainly wouldn't fault them for "looking like cg"

I'm really confused by what the critique is here.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
a few iphone landscape photos... one in pano mode (guess which one) the other with an instagram lo-fi filter applied to deepen the blues/add vignette

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
The day I took those photos of mt. hood it was completely socked in and drizzly in Portland. drive 6,000 feet up to Timberline and it's a blue-bird spring-looking day.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Kujaroth posted:

I've just come back from New Zealand, some great stuff to shoot there. Here's a few from my trip:

wow, superb job man!

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Spedman posted:

Why thank you, here is some of Palm Springs:
(The last roll of the lot, finally)

I love these! I've been down to Palm Springs probably 5 or 6 times now but have never had the time to go out shooting like this, so amazing.

I just had a pretty epic trip to British Columbia and will have a lot of landscapes to share after I've had a chance to process them.

Here's the first shot I had to process though, my first opportunity to shoot from a heli, incredibly fun and a ton learned, unfortunately this was a pretty tight crop even at 200mm so I've still got to figure out if I'm happy with the composition the way it is before I make some prints.

NimmoBay_830 by Kent, J, on Flickr

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Yeah, this is pretty astounding, great job. I have an intervalometer but have yet to spend much time with it.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Marshmallow Blue posted:

So, pardon me being a photo noob, But that shot was several long exposures overnight to get those swirls?!

yes, in the old days of film it would've been one exposure most likely, but with digital you'd do a series of long exposures, maybe in the 5-30 minute range and then composite them all using either photoshop or some type of astral photography software.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Shnakepup posted:

From what I understand, it's actually not recommended to try and do one long exposure with digital because the sensor heats up after being on for so long. I don't know if you can damage it or anything, but it actually affects the exposure (actual "hot spots" appear on the edges or bottom of the frame). That's why people take lots of shots exposures and composite, to avoid that.

yeah, exactly... just causes a lot of unnecessary noise I'm pretty sure and it's so much simpler/cheaper to do multiple exposures and stack w/ digital.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

MrBlandAverage posted:

I'm just gonna keep going here.

K. F. Jacobsen & Co. by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

I live like... very close to this, you should hit me up for some night shooting sometime.

Great great shot by the way!

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I tagged along with some goon-fellows on an evening shooting escapade last weekend.

This is what I ended up with... I was the only fool shooting digital so I guess that means I get the benefit of beating them all to the punch in posting.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I'm heading to Jackson Hole on Wednesday for a week of R&R and some hiking around Grand Teton NP.

Does anyone have any advice on spots to shoot in that area? I'm hoping to get up early a few mornings and check out Mormon Row & the Oxbow Bend and what not.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Leviathor posted:

Some saturation and clarity in the RAW editor, followed by some low-mid tone contrast boosting. I didn't mask out the mountain or anything like that for special treatment.

Five minutes after this, Sinopah was a bright, burning orange color.

GTNP is trivially a sunrise park. Sunset can be done, but it's more challenging: it requires exceptionally photogenic weather.

In no specific order: Oxbow Bend (get there super early to stake your claim, that's a sunset shot), Snake River Overlook (Ansel Adams' famous shot), Antelope Flats road (North and South Moulton barns), and Schwabacher Landing are all easy-to-drive-to locations with virtually no walking required.

Colter Bay can be pretty, and is easy, flat hiking. Leigh Lake is also flat hiking around very clear, and typically calm water. There are many little valley lakes in GTNP, so if you want a decent day hike or two, there are many options. I can't remember the one I did back in 2010 or so, but it had some nice vistas from the south end of the park to the south and east (down on Leigh Lake). Do you remember that trail name, emf?

Awesome info, thanks!

So you're suggesting that sunset shooting isn't worth it unless you have some great cloud coverage? We were planning on doing a couple mornings of shooting, maybe only one of them would be really devoted to getting some landscapes, another morning we are going wildlife watching. The hope would be to be out the door around 6am, should that be early enough? I won't have my own car since we are flying in and staying with my significant other's family in a lodge so I just don't know how many opportunities I'll have to shoot. I know I won't be catching any great fall colors but I want to try to make the most of the opportunity.

This is the hike I was looking at: http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=390684

also hoping to maybe have a chance to go tandem paragliding.

Really appreciate the tips, I'll let you know if I get anything good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Leviathor posted:

Yeah, clouds to produce vibrant pinks and saturating oranges are pretty much required for sunset in GTNP.

Sunrise looks to be about ten after 6 this week, with civil twilight about half an hour earlier. If you want to shoot Antelope Flats or Oxbow (the really, really popular places), I'd recommend getting there as early as practically possible. I usually show up at least half an hour early and drink coffee until the other 'tour photogs' show up. Since it's not September/October aspen season, you will probably run into fewer shooters, but when I drove down from the Snake River Overlook this past week there were at least ten SUVs crowding around Schwabacher landing, the caveat being that I did see a couple rafts going down the Snake when I was shooting sunrise, so ymmv.

Alpenglow only lasts for a few minutes, and since the valley is so flat and high, there aren't many interesting shadows or colors after the alpenglow turns. Afterward, the mountains reflect the oranges on the opposite horizon, which are, invariably, weak in color. There are rare instances of some bursting oranges, but if it's a clear sky, you'll get no scattering, and the pinks will be the highlight of the morning. For example, last week with clear skies I got some uninspiring alpenglow, then some faint oranges appeared after the sun eclipsed the horizon. I was packing up when the orange was washing out, and then everyone showed up to shoot the "sunrise."

If you're going to hit Antelope Flats, I'd recommend choosing your barn beforehand. The north barn is the one that's often shown with really dramatic compression (shooting 200+ mm sometimes), but those shots are made from up the paved road to the east; there's a little impromptu 'parking area' up there maybe a tenth of a mile or so. If you want to shoot the north barn wide, get there before people start getting to the pullout. The south barn is shot from the plain right by the barn, so you can park _right there_ and pile out minutes beforehand, if you so choose, and if you want to tip-toe around everyone else to get the remaining views. The most flattering views of the south barn are from the southwest in the treeline, imo, so get there early and feel it out. If the water's running high in the valley, there's sometimes water in the lower areas of the plains, but I don't think that's the case this year.

If you like being outside in clean mountain air, I don't think you'll be disappointed by any of the hikes in GTNP. I've never paraglided, so I can't comment on that, but it sounds awesome. I'd love to fly into KJAC some day just to see the sights from 12.5 or so in a Cessna.

We have the wonderful fortune of getting to fly into KJAC tomorrow on a cessna citation... hoping to see some spectacular views on the way in!

My two main lenses for landscape are a 16-35 f/2.8 and a 24 f/1.4... I'll probably rent a 70-200mm for the trip. I don't suppose you have any geo coords for where to shoot from?