Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
For composition feedback

You've cut off the bottom partially, so I can see she's doing 'something' with her laces but I can't see them

Either include it, or cut the whole thing off, having it half in there is the worst of both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
appreciate the feedback. unfortunately in that shot that's just how I shot

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

Larissa-20231120-2 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

Larissa-20231120-1 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

2 second exposure. Good job sitting still Larissa.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

I've been working on getting better spontaneous convention photos for a bit now, here's a few I'm pretty happy with from Anime NYC this past weekend. It's a real chore to get backgrounds free of clutter, and to get any kind of decent lighting. I haven't yet taken the step of mounting an umbrella or octo-box on a pole in my backpack like I've seen some do, but maybe I should.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I've been going to my friend's figure drawing event to try and get better at portraits. I don't think I'm anywhere near where I want to be, especially with editing and composition, but I'm slowly getting happy with my progress

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Another portrait of someone doing an art taken with my big camera.

August-20231124-1 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

echinopsis posted:

gently caress I love me a sunset, basically cheating

Using the tools in your tool chest is not cheating :D

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Dinner-20231125-1 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

I've been taking environmental portraits with my really big camera. It's a pain in the rear end to use but I like the look I get. Still working out some kinks.

TomR fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 26, 2023

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
What kind of really big camera?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I bet it’s real big

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe
I really like the expression and personality you captured. The light & palette compliment the subject. But yeah what camera, and did you get any tighter crop? I feel like you could lose a lot of extraneous venetian blinds but after trying some standard crops I can't get much without blurring the subject. Again, fuckin love those colors and subject's mood

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I hope this is you

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Thank you. I'm sorry I thought I had posted about it but that was a different camera.

This is a 24" x 24" sliding box camera I've been working on. It has a 600mm f/9 lens. These shots I was using it as a camera obscura and using a DSLR to take a photo of a foamcore board inside it.

I didn't get a tighter crop because the picture I'm going for is about the clutter around the subject as much as the subject. I do agree that normally you would want that though. This is just at my mom's house so maybe next time I'll clear off the coffee table and put the camera right on it for subjects in that chair.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
That rules

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I'm getting started in portrait photography and using a portable studio kit. Would this be the best thread to critique the photos I have recently taken? I am very much a beginner though so you may be getting some very poor snaps.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Tsietisin posted:

I'm getting started in portrait photography and using a portable studio kit. Would this be the best thread to critique the photos I have recently taken? I am very much a beginner though so you may be getting some very poor snaps.

Yes.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Here are a few of the portrait photos I took.

First thing that should be known is that currently my equipment is cheap, in some cases really cheap. I would love to be able to get better equipment but this is what I have for now. I can possibly get some additional bits that you may deem necessary.

Currently I am using a Canon 60D, Canon 18-55 Lens, Metz 48 AF-1 flash, White fabric backdrop but also have black and green, 3 soft boxes with variable warmth and brightness lights. I also tether my camera to my laptop to try and get a good idea of how good the pictures are when I am taking them.

These are from a LARP and are from players that have given me permission to share their images. I am trying to get an idea of lighting, composition, framing, cropping, you know... not too much at all really /s

These photos are not edited, other than being cropped. I do have a totally legitimate copy of Adobe Lightroom which I acquired which I will look to make adjustments.

I am going to be practicing more with just random friends of mine over the next couple of months as they would like me to get as good a picture as I can. I will probably look to get more critique as I take these photos.

If you think there is a piece of equipment that I could really really do with, please let me know. Christmas is coming so I have got an opportunity to ask for a christmas present.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

One other thing I should also mention is that these setups will often be in cramped locations.

This is how I set things up at the event.

advice on lighting setup would also be appriciated.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
You kit may be cheap, but perfectly serviceable. A really simple thing you could try would be to use fewer lights. Try to light a subject with one or two lights. There are lighting cheat sheets you can look at to get an idea. Just get a friend, or even yourself, and just take lots of photos. Try to recreate the effect shown. Other than that I'd say your photos aren't too bad. They could use some post processing maybe, but focus on trying to achieve a goal with your lighting first.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Thank you.

My next session with my friends I want to try some Black backdrop shoes with a single light, see what kind of an effect I can get there.

Post processing is a whole other area I've not even begun with yet. I'm shooting Raw to give myself as many options as I can.

I'm hoping that if I can take a great shot to begin with, that post processing will be minimal but still give that tiny bit of pizzazz.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Bring one light more in front of the model and raise it up pointing down toward them. Move the other light more around back and lower the power a bit. Dump the hair light or use it bare bulb on backdrop to light it up more seamless (but not blown out fully).

Shoot subjects at their eye level at a longer focal length.

TomR posted:

This is a 24" x 24" sliding box camera I've been working on. It has a 600mm f/9 lens. These shots I was using it as a camera obscura and using a DSLR to take a photo of a foamcore board inside it.

This is a super cool project but the end result just looks like the 35 f/2 shot on a 5D. It's impressive how clean it comes out, but it still just looks like a digital shot in the end. Any plans to go full analog for the setup?

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 27, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Not sure which I prefer.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 28, 2023

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

This is a super cool project but the end result just looks like the 35 f/2 shot on a 5D. It's impressive how clean it comes out, but it still just looks like a digital shot in the end. Any plans to go full analog for the setup?

Thanks, but I'm not really trying to make it look like film. The 600mm lens imparts way more character to the image than the lens on the DSLR does.

Rooster-20231127-1 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

Rooster-20231127-2 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

First one is the box cam, second one is just turning the DSLR around. The framing isn't exactly the same and I had to crop like half the image away because 35mm is way wider but I wanted to get the frame close to the same for the comparison. As you can see they don't look anything alike unless you want to zoom way in and compare the noise or whatever but I'm not into that.

Cute dog. I think I like light better in the first one but the pose is neat in the second.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah side by side that’s way more pronounced that the standalone images imparted vs my memory of that lens. Is the second shot wide open?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Yeah, wide open. I tried to get them looking as the same as I could in Lightroom. The box camera has a natural haze I tone down, and tried to add a bit of to the other one. Just nothing like the glass you get that covers such a large image circle.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I've been developing and producing/building a half frame pinhole camera

This came out of a test roll, but I'm pretty happy with it as a self portrait, despite its flaws and limitations

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I really like the pin hole pictures you've posted. This is a great portrait too.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Thank you , I'm really enjoying it

I have big plans for my little box

I may start a thread

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
You should join forces with the guy with the big box

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I do have my own camera obscura type thing, just cardboard and a magnifying glass, but the same idea

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
My first camera was a home made pinhole that took cut sheets of photo paper. I think I was around 11 years old.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Lucky-20231129-1 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

This is one bare alien bee on the dog. He's a good dog for putting up with me.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

Not sure which I prefer.

imo the top one is better if it’s just one photo but the second one compliments it well

solid

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...

I've been playing around with a $35NZD adapted 25mm(50mmFF) f1.8 CCTV lens from Aliexpress recently. It's not overly sharp and lacks contrast wide open, but it's growing on me as I start to explore alternatives to the clinically sharp and sterile feeling I'm beginning to get from most modern lenses.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
did someone order soft cliches :smugmrgw:

spose if there’s one thing I am kinda good at it’s getting “nice” photos. for better or for worse, it’s not always the vibe to go for for some people but it just happens. alas

hope this got a bit of a candid vibe, not too posed.. I think. post processing .. appropriate imo, hopefully less egregious

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

I'm not one for "rules" but the cut off hands in the first one hurt it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, it could be cropped up a bit closer to waist level probably to lessen that. I'll give it a try

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Tsietisin posted:

Here are a few of the portrait photos I took.

First thing that should be known is that currently my equipment is cheap, in some cases really cheap. I would love to be able to get better equipment but this is what I have for now. I can possibly get some additional bits that you may deem necessary.

Currently I am using a Canon 60D, Canon 18-55 Lens, Metz 48 AF-1 flash, White fabric backdrop but also have black and green, 3 soft boxes with variable warmth and brightness lights. I also tether my camera to my laptop to try and get a good idea of how good the pictures are when I am taking them.

These are from a LARP and are from players that have given me permission to share their images. I am trying to get an idea of lighting, composition, framing, cropping, you know... not too much at all really /s

These photos are not edited, other than being cropped. I do have a totally legitimate copy of Adobe Lightroom which I acquired which I will look to make adjustments.

I am going to be practicing more with just random friends of mine over the next couple of months as they would like me to get as good a picture as I can. I will probably look to get more critique as I take these photos.

If you think there is a piece of equipment that I could really really do with, please let me know. Christmas is coming so I have got an opportunity to ask for a christmas present.

Here's my take. In general the poses aren't really interesting or characterful. There are some cool props and looks here, but you aren't doing anything with them. Don't just get people to stand in front of the camera, direct them. Make them interact with the camera, with the props, with something off-camera. Whatever.

The light is flat and not creating any interest. You have interesting subjects that would benefit from dramatic lighting. Use that. Light unevenly, create tension across the frame. Maybe look at having different colours on the lights too, split colour gels can create some cool effects.

Have your subject stand further away from the backdrop. This will reduce shadows on it as in the first one, and also let you get some separation. With separation, and control of where the lihts are you can do a lot with even a pure white background. By letting your lights fall on it, you get a white background, by having partial light on it, you get a grey background If you keep all the light off it (with flags, grids, and barndoors) you can get pure black back there.

IMG_5128-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_1355.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_2335-Edit-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Thank you for all of this advice. This was my very first attempt at doing this every, so I am definitely expecting these to be extremely rough.

For this first attempt I was trying to just get something at least heading towards decent. I want to get in some more sessions where I can practice with the lighting a little more.

I have since gotten some remote triggered speedlights which I think should help for some of the lighting issues on the fly.

I'll post some images of the next session when they occurs so you can tell me if things have improved.