Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Arts & Life writer did a column about smoking, quitting, and general struggles with the habit. We wanted to do something other than a traditional columnist headshot.

dakana fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 26, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
It's difficult as hell to manual focus with the d40's crappy little viewfinder, and it doesn't help that my 50mm 1.8 ai-s doesn't meter with it. Can't wait for my d300.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

dakana posted:

That will look good next to the article, will it print in color? I imagine it might not look so good grey scaled. Do you have any more where the cigarette is longer? I think it would look better if there were just more of a cigarette between his fingers.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

did a bunch of portrait shots of my sister. I used a light box I created which was too her left, and a snooted flash at 1/16th behind her for the hair light. It's easy to work with someone when you're related and already have a decent relationship

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Penpal posted:

did a bunch of portrait shots of my sister. I used a light box I created which was too her left, and a snooted flash at 1/16th behind her for the hair light. It's easy to work with someone when you're related and already have a decent relationship

Counterpoint this girl on my facebook put up some sexy glamour photographs that it turned out her brother took. I was a little skeeved out by that.

Not saying the pictures you took are in that vein, they're some great portraits and she is comfortable and at ease in them.

My best portraits have come from girls I've known very well. I've decided to try and hunt down some casual acquaintances on facebook which I think would work better than just straight up strangers.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I find that, too. I've added some girls on facebook that I kind of know, and I'm going to contact them and ask if they want to do any shoots. I don't think they'll say no, because i'm a pretty aloof and easy-to-get-along with funny kind of guy. Usually it's kind of like hanging out but i'll ask them to stop every now and then, pose, and I'll snap or quickly set up some lights. I've done it a couple of times before, barely knowing the subject, but building the rapport was the first thing I did.

I feel like i'm getting better at it, and sometimes I'll tell an extremely lame pun (oh god ironic puns, oh yeah) and junk and I get my smile, or say something like "Look into the camera" and not take a picture, and then tell them I just wanted to make them feel awkward. That one gets a laugh, too.

PORTRAITS

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Penpal: I like the portraits you did, the lighting really complements the mood of the expression and the subject. The fourth one is my favorite because I think it is the best angle.

here are two I did over the weekend.

dunos
Feb 6, 2007

I refuse to be part of your furry fantasies

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

here are two I did over the weekend.

There is something about these photos that makes them look like a composite and I think that is what distracts me from looking at the subject. There is a lot going on in the background and it feels too busy. Is that a reflection in the window behind their right shoulder? The light feels a little harsh as well.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Penpal posted:

did a bunch of portrait shots of my sister.
Nice shots. It's funny, until I got to the last photo I didn't know she had braces. But after seeing the last photo I looked at the others and it's impossible to miss with the way she closes (or rather can't close) her mouth.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Penpal posted:

OK, maybe it's just me, but the hair light seems way way too bright. There's a blown out spot in each of the shots that is distracting. I think you needed to aim a bit higher to keep the light off her shoulder. Otherwise I like them.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

dunos posted:

There is something about these photos that makes them look like a composite and I think that is what distracts me from looking at the subject. There is a lot going on in the background and it feels too busy. Is that a reflection in the window behind their right shoulder? The light feels a little harsh as well.

I had them sit on a window ledge in one of my office's big conference room. Because of that weird kind of angle, it does look like a composite a bit. I wanted to highlight the building as well though because its a local landmark, kinda. Its the tallest building in VA that was just completed a few years ago. I had a hard time balancing flash on the subject and the background, and agree that it is a bit harsh. There is a reflection on both, and I couldn't figure out how to clone them out.I wish I could have backed up further, but a large immovable conference table was in my way.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I had them sit on a window ledge in one of my office's big conference room. Because of that weird kind of angle, it does look like a composite a bit. I wanted to highlight the building as well though because its a local landmark, kinda. Its the tallest building in VA that was just completed a few years ago. I had a hard time balancing flash on the subject and the background, and agree that it is a bit harsh. There is a reflection on both, and I couldn't figure out how to clone them out.I wish I could have backed up further, but a large immovable conference table was in my way.

How might one go about focusing both the background and the person?

dunno
Sep 11, 2003
If only he knew...

Munkaboo posted:

How might one go about focusing both the background and the person?

Small apertures and more distance from the subject...

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

The extreme separation of the background and the person is what kills it for me, plus the harsh look of the flash. Add to that, there's no frame of reference, so it makes it looks like they were composited in. I think that if you had included a reference (window edge or ground or something to anchor them) this would help that feeling immensely.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I took these of my wife ages ago, forgot about them and then found them just now. Afternoon sun streaming in through a window and bouncing off a big white wall.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

psylent posted:

I took these of my wife ages ago, forgot about them and then found them just now. Afternoon sun streaming in through a window and bouncing off a big white wall.

The first smile seems like a camera smile. Middle is more natural, but I like the third the best, but it seems a bit underlit compared to the others. When I find older photos, the first thing I think about is how I would have done it differently. Did you go thru that?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Unnatural expressions work against 1 (cheese) and 3 (sad panda). You're losing quite a bit of face detail on 2, but I like it otherwise.
Might have been your intention, but you may want to pay attention to your level relative to the subject, and to what you're cropping.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Penpal posted:

The fourth is by far the best here. If you're capable, use photoshop to close her mouth fully, the slight gap doesn't really add for it. Other than that, nice capture.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

evil_bunnY posted:

Unnatural expressions work against 1 (cheese) and 3 (sad panda). You're losing quite a bit of face detail on 2, but I like it otherwise.
Might have been your intention, but you may want to pay attention to your level relative to the subject, and to what you're cropping.

torgeaux posted:

The first smile seems like a camera smile. Middle is more natural, but I like the third the best, but it seems a bit underlit compared to the others. When I find older photos, the first thing I think about is how I would have done it differently. Did you go thru that?
Thanks guys, I've just realised that I've never actually got her to sit down and do a serious portrait session. These were taken at the end of a day spent wandering around London and were just hanging out in our room. I chopped the top of her head off on purpose, but I'm not sure why now.

Luk3
Nov 25, 2005

Did some family portraits this weekend... not all that happy with the result. The weather seemed to turn to total poo poo the moment the family stepped out of their car, the wind really picked up, it started to snow and it became bitterly cold. Noone was dressed for the weather.

As a result I think the photos suffered, everyone was really tense, my hands were numb and to top it off, my remote triggers weren't working (turns out due to a problem with the sync cord of all things)... Anyway, here's probably the best picture to result... I could use some feedback on posing / composition / processing... I told the family I would be happy to reshoot this coming weekend since the weather will likely cooperate a little better.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

One thing I find works out better is if it's cold again, try to keep a super positive attitude and make jokes about how they should pretend it's a beautiful summer day, etc etc. It really makes a difference, and helps them relax, despite the lovely weather. Maybe have some hot cocoa available.

Another thing that strikes me as really weird is how they're wearing all black, and every single shade of black is different.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Luk3 posted:

Did some family portraits this weekend... not all that happy with the result. The weather seemed to turn to total poo poo the moment the family stepped out of their car, the wind really picked up, it started to snow and it became bitterly cold. Noone was dressed for the weather.

You cut off a toe a wee bit. Might have rotated what I assume is your sister a little bit so she's not square-on with the camera. Clone out some of the snowflakes flying in front of the people. Should have had everyone wipe their feet before taking the photo as well.

Considering the conditions, you got them to look remarkably comfortable.

And I knew you were in Alberta as soon as you mentioned the weather.

Luk3
Nov 25, 2005

HPL posted:

You cut off a toe a wee bit. Might have rotated what I assume is your sister a little bit so she's not square-on with the camera. Clone out some of the snowflakes flying in front of the people. Should have had everyone wipe their feet before taking the photo as well.

Considering the conditions, you got them to look remarkably comfortable.

And I knew you were in Alberta as soon as you mentioned the weather.

Not my sister, these aren't relatives. I can bring the toe back in, there's a bit of room to work since it's a 8x10 crop. I agree about the feet thing, I didn't notice the snow on the shoes until afterwards...

If I get to do a reshoot on Saturday its supposed to be about 20 degrees (C) warmer, so that will be a positive. I'm happy you mentioned they look comfortable because that was my biggest concern.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Luk3 posted:

As a result I think the photos suffered, everyone was really tense, my hands were numb and to top it off, my remote triggers weren't working (turns out due to a problem with the sync cord of all things)... Anyway, here's probably the best picture to result... I could use some feedback on posing / composition / processing... I told the family I would be happy to reshoot this coming weekend since the weather will likely cooperate a little better.

The girl definitely shouldn't face the camera directly. It's extremely unflattering for her build. Dad, far right, needs to angle in more also, as he looks uncomfortably posed. The lighting seems a bit flat to me, also.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Luk3 posted:

Not my sister, these aren't relatives. I can bring the toe back in, there's a bit of room to work since it's a 8x10 crop. I agree about the feet thing, I didn't notice the snow on the shoes until afterwards...

If I get to do a reshoot on Saturday its supposed to be about 20 degrees (C) warmer, so that will be a positive. I'm happy you mentioned they look comfortable because that was my biggest concern.

To be honest, my criticisms aren't anything super major and any family should be happy to have a photo like that. Just some minor things that get missed in the heat of the moment. I think the snow on the shoe is the biggest thing. It looks messy, especially since they're dressed nicely.

What you also might want to try is bringing the father forward a tad so the group is more like a semi-circle around that rock in the front. But yeah, you did a good job of making them not have that "Oh god I'm loving freezing" look on their faces.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

sneak preview, newest shoot:

fenner
Oct 4, 2008
Did my first proper portrait shoot today, it was 3 hours away and had no location or theme planned. My shots feel very mediocre and I have no idea how to go about processing them.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

fenner posted:

Did my first proper portrait shoot today, it was 3 hours away and had no location or theme planned. My shots feel very mediocre and I have no idea how to go about processing them.

They aren't a house on fire, but they're solid.

If anything, the photos seem a bit languid. I take it she wasn't the most expressive person in the world?

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I was about to post this in snapshots, but I might as well here; it's really funny (and makes sense) that you shoot your portraits like landscapes. When you're working with people, it's really important that the person isn't "lost" in the compositional elements. For example, your second shot, the frame of the arch dominates the shot, and is the on the main plane of focus, and the person isn't the attention. Another thing is to pay attention the body (earlier there was posted a really good posing guide), the poses you chose aren't very flattering. Little things like in the first one, her arms will look kinda fat that way, and having her head down shortens her neck. In the second and third, her posture isn't very good, so you get some crumpling of her belly, also making her look bigger.

Obviously you have all the technical stuff down, so I think something that would help immensely is thinking about what you want each picture to say about the person. Mostly it will be that you want them to look pretty and thoughtful, etc, but sometimes adding in an element/prop that adds something else to their "story" really helps; ie a balloon to make them look cute, contrast to make them look strong, a pet, dancing, motion, and so on. This will also help you find a direction for processing.

fenner
Oct 4, 2008

HPL posted:

They aren't a house on fire, but they're solid.

If anything, the photos seem a bit languid. I take it she wasn't the most expressive person in the world?

She isnt a model or anything, and i didnt give many directions for expressions. Heres a fun one though:

You're right nonanone, I was looking for decent landscape compositions that would work with a model within them, guess you need a completely different thought process for portraits. Thanks for the crit, I think they definitely need more exciting postures/expressions, this one above is probably my favourite from the set even though its really simple, just because it has fun expression.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

The different thought processes is also probably why I suck so bad at landscapes :shobon: I have a very hard time composing for them.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

nonanone posted:

The different thought processes is also probably why I suck so bad at landscapes :shobon: I have a very hard time composing for them.

Oh well. Conversely, I have more of a portrait mentality so my landscapes suck.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
I've been working on a portraiture series and putting a few of them in the PAD thread. Might as well post them here as examples of location portraits in natural lighting.

:nws: http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k110/mcmadcow/Mabel1.jpg :nws:

Unrelated to the portrait series...

Location portrait with artificial and natural light:

Studio Portraits:

My Flickr Page! :nws:

McMadCow fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 24, 2009

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I've been wondering how to effectively do portraits where the subject isn't looking directly into the camera, McMadCow does a really good job of this. I've started noticing that the portraits I like best online, have the subject looking away. Whenever I try it, the photo becomes boring and theres no longer a connection to the viewer. Any reasoning or tips to make your subjects appear more natural while gazing off camera?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

McMadCow posted:

I remember when you first posted this, and it remains one of my favorite SA photos.

McMadCow posted:

I saw this and idly thought "I would like to see more." Flickr does not disappoint.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I've been wondering how to effectively do portraits where the subject isn't looking directly into the camera, McMadCow does a really good job of this. I've started noticing that the portraits I like best online, have the subject looking away. Whenever I try it, the photo becomes boring and theres no longer a connection to the viewer. Any reasoning or tips to make your subjects appear more natural while gazing off camera?

A trick I've learned is to have the model follow your finger with their eyes while you watch in the viewfinder. Snap the shot at the moment of some good dynamic tension. For instance, if the model is facing left but looking right with their eyes, it draws opposing lines in the frame. Same thing with head postition vs body position.

The disclaimer to that is that I'll get 2 or 3 (maybe) good shots per roll and a bunch of near misses. Still though, even posed shots have moments of spontaniety that you can catch if you're lucky.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

jackpot posted:

I remember when you first posted this, and it remains one of my favorite SA photos.
Me too. I regret not having enough money to buy one of the prints. :(

spritely
Oct 13, 2009
[quote="McMadCow"]
I've been working on a portraiture series and putting a few of them in the PAD thread. Might as well post them here as examples of location portraits in natural lighting.

[b&ws with yummy borders]

I'm reminded of Poopinmymouth's post on page 1:

"On this note, pay attention to how much of the eye shows. As a general rule, you should have a bit of white on either side of the pupil. If it's a 3/4, don't let them be so far turned you lose sight of the inner white because the nose cuts it off. Also don't let the farthest eye actually be along the silhouette. [more].."

If you intuitively chose 1 and 3 of McMadCows photos as the strongest (I know I did) you'll see that they followed this *general* rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

mcmadcow what's your flickr name?