Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arinel
Aug 16, 2006
How does the water of the brain yield the wine of conscious experience? - Some one quoted it once.

nonanone posted:

I think the door frame/window frame to the left is really annoying. Clone tool it out maybe? (But then the background might be a bit bleak and shallow).

I like the first but I think it's cropped a little too high, if you cut off more from the top you'd be focusing more on her wonderful expression. Basically, that's the best bit so having too much background when it's pretty clear and busy is distracting.

The 2nd one, I see what you were going for, and the lighting is pretty good except the shadow that is cast by the right girls hat onto her face is a bit annoying.

The last one seems to have the light centred on her neck and not on her face and her pose makes her seem not centred. Basically get her to keep that pose but move her a foot to the right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arinel
Aug 16, 2006
How does the water of the brain yield the wine of conscious experience? - Some one quoted it once.

poopinmymouth posted:

Questions...

Reichstag posted:

I'm glad that got so much interest in that photo. I'm leaving for the airport in a few minutes, so I don't have time to respond, but have a good couple months. :)

Looks like he's not going to be able to answer your question (for a while).
(Also, I was always under the impression that the photos were composed as to look as much like a snapshot as possible, as to try and recreate some imaginary scene of friends. But that these people were posed, rather than him just capturing them standing. But this theory isn't based on much.)

Arinel
Aug 16, 2006

XTimmy posted:

I get the feeling reichy would very much like us to think that.

Well, I assumed he would want us to think that, so I also assumed that he would actually do that.

Arinel
Aug 16, 2006

Cyberbob posted:

First real portrait session ever..

Thought I'd try my hand at portrait/glamor shooting, as one of my photographer friends was bringing around her newbie model friend for a few test shots.

I really don't like the angle on this photo. It feels very cramped.
She looks good though, and the colours are all nice together.

Arinel
Aug 16, 2006

HPL posted:

I'm not worried about girls, it's if I'm doing a band promo shoot or something and I don't want guys faces shining like light bulbs.

I'm trying to think of a really quick way without buying a lot of makeup, but I'm not sure it's possible if the people you're taking photos of are different skin colours (unless you want to do shoots in black and white).
But I would suggest mineral (powered) makeup and a big fat face makeup brush. But it's really easy to apply (unlike cream foundation) and it's really good at getting rid of shine.

Arinel
Aug 16, 2006

Whitezombi posted:

I really love these, and I thought they were yours beforeI saw your name. I think the 2nd one is the best, and the dark greens really frame the child. The 3rd one is just adorable.

Arinel
Aug 16, 2006

AtomicManiac posted:

... or worse- pop-up flash.

Honestly I think sometimes one can use pop up flash and it makes things look nice. But you have to know what you're doing. But I wouldn't say that it's always bad. (Not that that's what you said, I'm just sayin'.)

Arinel
Aug 16, 2006

psylent posted:

Okay, I know you're outside but try to get her face exposed well, I know the bottom left hand side of her dress will be over exposed, but right now she looks just off.
This washed out feeling continues through the images, I'm not sure whether it's your fault for not coulor balancing correctly or whether that yellow top she's wearing is just not good for her. Either way I'd suggest vamping the saturation a bit, or something. It's difficult to know what you should do without having Photoshop here, sorry.

Oh, and I'm sure you know but I'll say it anyway, the face-exposed-but-everthing-else-is-overexposed is very 'in'. I'm not saying you should do it deliberately, but at least for those photos where you are worried about it, don't. Because customers can love it.

This is nice, well exposed etc., except you only just got her foot in the frame. Also, it feels too bright yellow to me, maybe bump the oranges. This is to make the photo more pleasing not more accurate. (Feel free to ignore that if that's the direction you intend to keep heading in terms of style).

PLEASE clone out that patch of missing grass round the tree :P

I realise that the top half of her is meant to be underexposed and the belly correctly exposed, I just think that she needs to step forward to get more of the belly into the light. At the moment I don't think the effect is as obvious as it needs to be to make the photo stunning. Great idea, just a little poorly executed.

[/quote]
I don't know if you've read the style guide at the start of this thread but that is an unattractive pose for a lady, all those wrinkles in her neck (in this case I don't think it matters so much since she seems natural enough). In this I feel the faces aren't close enough OR the shot isn't wide enough. For couple shots the blank space needs to make the two people seem like a whole thing. At the moment there is the same amount of blank space between them as there is between them and the edge of the frame.
Also, maybe this is just me, but I keep feeling like half of the woman's face is out of focus?

Anyway, these suggestions are as a person who looks at a lot of photos about weddings/engagements etc. Feel free to dismiss them if they aren't your 'style'. But I feel like they all need a bit of a nudge a bit towards the red because they feel washed out due to the shirt and the very green surroundings.

Arinel fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 16, 2010

Arinel
Aug 16, 2006

psylent posted:

Thanks Arinel! Every session I have is more practice, I'll probably mess around with them a bit more in Lightroom this evening.

You're doing better than me! I wish I could make money out of photos. :P

Arinel
Aug 16, 2006

psylent posted:

Headshot for a wedding planner I do work with every now and then. Awesome golden hour lighting. Minor Photoshopping on this to remove stray hairs/lessen the wrinkles etc.

She has a weird white line in between her eyebrows.

Arinel
Aug 16, 2006

mr. mephistopheles posted:

The more time I spend here the more I realize how ridiculously low the expectations of non-photographers are, which is cool, because that's usually who is giving you money to take pictures. And that raises all kinds of fun philosophical questions about what qualifies art as good.

Not really. I'd say those issues were already raised. ^_^

Arinel
Aug 16, 2006

wanderlost posted:

I think he's referring to photography's questioning of art as a whole, rather than a specific instance somewhere prior in the thread. ie photography and postmodernism. but thats a for another thread... zing

Yep!

But because it is for another thread, here are some portraits to make this reply relevant:

Edit: retarded, been so long since I've posted an image.

Arinel fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 19, 2011

Arinel
Aug 16, 2006

psylent posted:

I took and posted this one a while ago. I liked it, and people seem to like it a lot so I've entered my first photography competition with it. Hopefully it'll lead to something.

What comp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arinel
Aug 16, 2006

DuckBOT posted:

Thoughts? Started with a softbox, then an umbrella off to the side, and topped it off with a strobe shooting up to the ceiling to provide some hair light.

For all that light her left eye socket (on the right side) is in shadow. And that smile is super uncomfortable. Also the flower, that we can only see three petals of, should either be more of a feature or not there at all.