Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Thanks for the comments, guys!

I... actually like the texture of the seamless though. :(

I agree with the need for a hair lighting - I need a grid for my strip box, the light spill was a bit overpowering and didn't balance well in the photos.

Here are a few more from last night's session. It would've been nice to have another light to put some fill on the left side of her face (camera left).

Thanks again, let me know what you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

OJ.SImpson posted:

CKB_9034-2 by ChristopherKasey, on Flickr

CKB_8819 by ChristopherKasey, on Flickr

These two are really quite incredible.

Gridded softbox camera left high on #1?

Two gridded bare bulbs camera left and right, snooted background, and... gridded SB for key light?

Really nice there.

Just another headshot for a friend. I've decided to sell a lens or two for more lights, two is not enough for me right now.

Oprah Haza fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 28, 2011

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

OJ.SImpson posted:

Me too, i feel like if i did not have the fear of rejection/failure in me I would be working a lot harder at my photography, getting out there, and growing. I really need to grow a pair and just push.

You've got some skills, I have no doubt you would do well in whichever market you land in. Where are you located?

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
Did a test shoot with a friend tonight (he usually assists me). Please excuse the watermarks, it's late and I don't really care to upload multiple copies.

link to blog if you care: http://blog.jyiphoto.com/blog/

Oprah Haza fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jul 8, 2011

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
Thanks for the comments guys, I'm glad the first one worked - that was the pose where I physically manipulated him into so it's good that it's getting a good response. I wanted him to sling the guitar behind his back on the second one but he forgot his strap, I think it would've added a bit to it.

You'll be seeing a lot more of that stool!

I was actually anticipating people pointing out the wrinkled seamless where the stool/his feel were pushing into the carpet but I'm glad it's not too detracting/noticeable.

Any input on the light?

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
Two more from today - about to hit the bar but wanted to get some input. Another model just starting out, did a lot of coaching with him. Thanks in advance!

Perhaps this one is a tad too dark?

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

Paragon8 posted:

I had a recent test published as a webitorial

Can't really share too much stuff on forums anymore!

The modeling agency let the magazine publish a test? Congrats, by the way!

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
Everyone please take my opinions just as opinions. :)

XTimmy posted:

Demi-2 by TimFPictures, on Flickr
I wish I'd taken a step back for this. but I think I would have lost the fantastic background bokeh (I know I know but I was deliberatley trying to demonstrate the effect). I'm really considering investing in a 35mm f2.0. Thoughts?

Demi-8 by TimFPictures, on Flickr
More a landscape than a portrait but I was very happy with how this turned out. I try to push a bit of a cinema edge in my work.

Demi-9 by TimFPictures, on Flickr

I think the first is nice, but an exposure mask to bring her out a bit may help. The second one is really nice, but as you mentioned, not a portrait. It is nice though.

bung posted:

Rainy by jefferyhoeft, on Flickr

I would definitely redo this one, you can do better. She fills up too much of the frame and it looks as if she is attacking you. The light is not bad at all though. I would consider doing some dodge/burn to the hair on both sides to give the photo a bit of balance.

Paragon8 posted:

Just some stuff from last weeeeeeek

Foxy lady! I think the first could benefit from some curves/DB to give a bit more depth. The second I personally would have given a bit more on top but I totally agree with you that sometimes cutoff is necessary. I think I would have liked to have seen a smile in the last three with the lightness of the photos (this is very strange to type, as most of my portraits feature no smile). I think it may be a bit bright but that's a personal opinion and most people think I go too dark anyway.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

Paragon8 posted:

Thanks! The bw treatment in the first was aimed to be low contrast and filmic as I was trying to test out a tri-x action I made. Usually my bw is a bit crisper and the whites are white and blacks are black.

I do have some lighter lingerie shots but it's such a hassle to get stuff on here I gave up trying to throw poo poo on imgur- I think you should be able to see this though - https://plus.google.com/115575156595727332410/posts/8G1x8YpnYWE.

That second shot is really sexy. It may be "overdone" to some people but it's really a classic shot and you captured the mood well.

Here are a few from the past few weeks:

@an outdoor show, lit only with a lighter

headlights

Outdoor Session

Session - she wanted very serious looks

Oprah Haza fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 12, 2011

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

McMadCow posted:

These don't look serious to me. They look blank, to be honest. And maybe a bit uncomfortable as a result. She's so stiff that it doesn't look like you captured much of a moment like you're going to want to in fashion/glamour. I'm just not sure what the motivation is for her looking so stern, yet dressed in sexy things.

EDIT: Also what torgeaux said.

I totally agree. It was her first time really in front of a camera (she's a photographer) and her first time in swimwear/lingerie with someone she'd never met before. We spent a lot of time going over poses/expressions but she was incredibly nervous and tired (this was at like 10 pm). I told her to wear loose clothing without ties/waistbands but that didn't happen and we didn't have time to wait. :(

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

mr. mephistopheles posted:

There are a few things I'd change if I took the shot again, but I wouldn't touch the aperture. I don't think any important details have been lost/are close to being lost. What specifically is bothering you? The tip of his nose is on the cusp, but not to the point where I think it's distracting.

DOF is fine to me, I would clone out the button clasps and rotated him a bit so his other ear would show a bit more. Since it's a tight crop he looks like he's either really stocky or very hunchbacked. For that pose you may want to pull back a bit.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
Just charge them, they are paying for an end product (the photos), which are obviously good enough for them.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

I've always preferred the "bloopers" to the "keepers".

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

Try sex (faster, healthier, and more enjoyable).

...but then there'll be all sorts of specular highlights from the sweat and the clothing would get all wrinkled and his skin would be too red in the photos....

I think I just admitted I would rather shoot a person than have sex with them....

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

Mathturbator posted:

The post processing thread seems to be dead, so I'm asking here instead. I'm not sure about the rules of posting other people's pictures, so please let me know if I'm breaking any rules.
Ok, so I found this picture... While it's not a very interesting picture, I need some help in describing the tone of the picture. It seems to be a mixture of yellow and cyan, but I'm really not at all sure. How would you describe it? I'd like to create this tone in a portrait, but it's not a "classic" retro tone, is it?

The photographer in question is http://amyschuffphotography.com/

I don't know if this is the right place for this but I think that a slight overexposure, desaturation, lower contrast, up blacks, slight yellow layer.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

Gazmachine posted:

F/4. Stuff behind AND in front of him in focus, including his collar, the pillow behind him and his macbook he had on his lap, the sofa in general. Everything except his head.

Post an example. Where you shooting from an elevated angle? Focus length does matter, as was earlier mentioned.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

knox posted:

Which seamless background would be best to shoot a fair skinned redhead female with black and white film in studio between a white, medium grey, and black?

You can use white and vary the distance between subject and background to "darken" it.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

Clown posted:

I have a Canon 550D which doesn't support it anyway :(
I'm just waiting on the remotes and the umbrella clamps now.

Go to a camera store and pick up a $5 pc sync cord!!!!!

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

Paragon8 posted:

Well today marked the first time a model said their agency didn't want them to do any topless shots.

It was a male model.

0_0

He probably has a talking third nipple.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

mysticp posted:

I would try and rework the color temperatures/exposure to match. The second has a bar going through his head, you could possibly remove that in post. He looks very cramped in number four. If that's a crop I would give him a bit more room.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

and am shooting at f1.7 so the DOF is very narrow, should I try going down a few stops to increase DOF?

Do you have a reason to shoot at 1.7? That's kind of impractically narrow. If the light is too low/you are already pushing it in terms of ISO and shutter speed you can move back a bit.

You could also invest in a focusing screen (the Canon one works wonders).

sw1gger posted:

my latest

I would crop a bit off the top and maybe do a bit of cloning to make the walls a bit different. Maybe you could also work on the temp as was previously suggested?

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

Maybe some fill would be good for the first one (dodge/burn or masked levels/curve layer).

That second guy is really orange. I would maybe also tone down the crease in that guy's crotch next to him.

Otherwise not bad for candids!

Shot a few musician friends. Please excuse the watermark, I'm linking from a viewing gallery.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

Reichstag posted:

"Moooom, why do I have to pose for this picture? I don't care how proud you are, this guitar is bullshit."

Yeah, I know. They are in a band (quite good) and each has their own very distinct personality. I've noticed that lots of musicians tend to revert to the stare to look "serious" but you can get them to smile and perhaps try and look a bit cocky. I couldn't really decide between the three.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

Alfajor posted:

I went to my brother's wedding and tried hard not to be "that guy". This was before the photographer showed up, while everything was being set up. First time I've ever told someone how to pose for a picture.

Can I get some pointers on how to make this kind of thing a bit nicer in the future? I also could probably use some post-processing tips.

Have him stand in a more solid block of shade and perhaps not pose like a cheerleader? I think the main thing is the light splotches.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

whereismyshoe posted:

that picture made me reconsider whether or not i should suck it up and save for a little while longer to get a 5dII. stunningly crisp

Crisp is not a function of the camera, it is a function of light and post processing.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
Fiancee

Girl going to prom + date

Girl going to prom + date + moms

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

Paragon8 posted:

I imagine you got a great response from your subjects, Oprah Haze but boy does that guy's face kind of freak me out.

The comp on the portrait of your fiancée is really neat too. Very clear and sharp too.

Thank you! I think the boy felt a little awkward, I later found out he was a sophomore and didn't know anybody there (not in the frame were 20+ other kids and their families who were all sharing a bus) other than his date, who is a friend.

Two more of her at her friend's house with a different processing style.

With her niece

Oprah Haza fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 12, 2012

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

I would also recommend trying to avoid lines through heads when possible (curb in first set of photos and the hill on the first photo here. You could also clone out the lint under her arm in the last photo. Maybe also consider a graduated exposure filter on the bottom half of the last photo for balance? They look good.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

I understand that she is a bigger girl but when you are shooting at that angle in the first, you should go higher or lower. That current angle makes her look humongous with bad posture. Make up/hair looks great here though!

The second is not bad. I kind of like the one in red in front of the foliage in the set, just wish you shot that lower.

I would recommend removing the photos of her in the waffle-cotton-dress thingy, that thing is... like... terribly unflattering.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
Here's my very quick take. It took about 2 minutes in PS.

Animated Steps:

I think what could have been better during the shoot especially is the lighting on the chest. It looks very burnt in comparison to the rest of her skin.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
I'm usually okay with cut off heads but the framing and overall capture are really awkward.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

Eh the original was fine.

Maybe if shot from a lower angle it would've been better but I would not have been happy if I was given that shot of myself.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

aliencowboy posted:

Tonal range seems fine, although boosting the highlights just a bit within the reflection of her glasses might help draw attention away from her forehead.

I disagree - I think that darkening the shades would bring the eye to her face (strong contrast). My two cents.

Mannequin, are you opposed to smoothing out her skin?

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

THIS GUY... is quite a guy. If you're concerned about the clutter then clone out the white splotch in the upper left corner. It will help a lot.

Shot a friend the other day. VERY camera shy, it took a lot to get even these.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

eggsovereasy posted:

I just got a simple lighting setup together a couple weeks ago (1 speedlight and an umbrella) and finally got to try it out in some portrait type shots this weekend. I'm pretty happy with my initial results.

Here is the best one I have so far (still have another roll of film I need to look at)

Go to a dollar store and buy one or two panels of white foamboard. You can use that as an ad hoc reflector to even out the lighting on the right side of the image.

You could also move the entire setup to be closer to camera axis, babies tend to be okay without the more dramatic lighting.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

Turd Nelson posted:

Clement 3 by Jenseales, on Flickr

Clement 2 by Jenseales, on Flickr

Clement by Jenseales, on Flickr

Your friend is very red in the first photo. I think you could also crop it a bit differently.

Second one you could crop/clone out the cars - eyes are totally drawn to the big red blob on the left of the image.

Third you could do a 4x5ish crop and it would be fine. I like how future him is looking on in disdain.

VERY impromptu shoot - we were discussing ideas for a shoot at a cafe and she decided to pop in for a few minutes. It was at the end of the day with no hair/makeup prep.

All shots are NSFW.
https://www.jyiphoto.com/blog/2012/july/cherie/IMG_1649blur.jpg
https://www.jyiphoto.com/blog/2012/july/cherie/IMG_1661-Edit.jpg
https://www.jyiphoto.com/blog/2012/july/cherie/IMG_1673-Edit.jpg
https://www.jyiphoto.com/blog/2012/july/cherie/IMG_1681-Edit.jpg
All shots are NSFW.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

xenilk posted:

I have to agree with this, the 4th one is good... the other ones seems uncomfortable. She's a trooper for wanting to do nude tho.

Two of mine.

IMG_9989 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_0029 by avoyer, on Flickr

(Swimwear editorial)

I wish I had a raft. :( I like these as photos but for a swimwwear shoot I guess there should be more swimwear showing (e.g. the "oar" is obscuring it in the first)? Are you in the water/on a floaty thing?

Thanks for the feedback. I agree totally.

Here are some from today, SOOC as I'm too tired to edit at the moment. Always looking for input.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

Paragon8 posted:

If you're still open to critique on this one I would recommend evening out where her skin bulges out of the tight straps with some liquify

I agree with this opinion.

Clown posted:

I was just playing with a 50mm f/1.4 that I was able to borrow. Focus is hard... One eye is out and it's not even that far in front of the other one :(

A. by Clwn, on Flickr

In addition to stepping down I would have edited out that bit of flaked skin by the eyebrow on right side of image.

This is pretty badass.

I took some photos last week or so and am hoping for some critique/insight. I'd also love if any of you would help me select three or four of the stronger shots.

http://jyiphoto.com/blog/2012/july/sherilolita/

I've gotten in some weird photography rut. Some days I feel pretty good and others I hate everything I've ever shot. I don't even know how I feel about this set.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

AtomicManiac posted:

I made an effort to dampen the effect, but judging by the response here I didn't do it nearly enough.

Show the before. Now.

I just wanted to post this girl's hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

somnambulist posted:

351B5568 by francography, on Flickr

351B5567 by francography, on Flickr

351B5627 by francography, on Flickr

351B5619 by francography, on Flickr

351B5520 by francography, on Flickr

Not bad, I would watch out for the slouch and maybe vary the posing a bit next time.

Went on a short walk with these two. My first reaction to myself was to have more variation of expressions. Thirty minutes from first frame to last shot. I'm posting three to not bombard you guys, there is a link with a few more if you are interested. I left EXIF intact as well if you were curious.

Link to more pictures