Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

Fragrag posted:

Not sure if you guys can see this, it's set to private on Flickr to avoid ire from my clients.

This is probably my most favourite portrait recently, though the godawful shadow on the topright is annoying my, but there was nowhere else I could have repositioned without it disturbing the picture.
Also, overdone vignette, although that's my personal taste, and the guy wincing a bit, which I noticed only later.

Buy a reflector; it would work really well for a shot like this. It'll be the best ~50 bucks you ever spent, trust me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

poopinmymouth posted:

Yeah but what's the difference between his, and this one of yours? Really the only thing redeeming about yours is that it has some vaguely nice colors from being shot on film. And she has perky tits. otherwise it's just as generic.

I mean, I agree that both yours and his are plain, but they're good portraits. I'm just not understanding you saying they are terrible when you have some of the same quality stuff in your post.

oh god thank you for this

being shot on film doesn't really make a photo technically better, show that you have any sort of preconceived vision or give it much artistic merit

yes you chose a funky frame of the person with their face covered (!!!!!!!) but the pot sure is calling the kettle black when you call another dude's photos snapshots

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

HPL posted:

I like the second one. It looks like an album cover, especially if it were cropped square with just the top part left. I can imagine the text to the right of the model.

The flare is fine the way you used it. It lends the photos a dreamy sort of quality, like a lazy summer afternoon. It's good that you didn't go overboard with it.

I think that one would be perfect with a white reflector thrown in the mix.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

Toupee posted:

Ok flattering is the wrong word. Maybe just "pleasing to look at" ? That is to say - they don't have to be pretty or whatever, but it needs to highlight their features in a way that makes it nice to look at. Like this is very nice. Thats generally what portraiture is. I'm sure someone else can come in and say how I'm a retard and I have no idea, blah blah, but I think you get the general gist of what I mean by portraiture and the canon that goes with it.

You're looking for 'engaging'. Creating a connection between the subject and the viewer is what makes a portrait (or any photo, really) a good photo. It could be a toddler's natural smile or a withered, filthy face, but it has to be engaging.

Personally, I think this is why a lot of portraiture shot at 70+mm can seem boring and bland. There's no connection between the viewer and subject at all. That's why the subject itself has to be interesting, look interesting, or be doing something interesting. I don't care if I'm seeing the subject's face as long as I'm intrigued by their body language, appearance or environment.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008
its so web 2.0

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008
I like the one of the side profile of the BMW the best, though I wish he wasn't smiling right at the camera. I think the shot would be improved a lot if the car was a little more lit as well.

I would honestly just balance the ambient a little more in these. Kick down your flashes a little bit and you can still have emphasis on your subjects without it looking so jarring and 'strobist-pool'-ish.

edit: the best thing I ever did for my environmental portraiture was to learn and love my grids. They're cheap to buy and/or easy to make, and they're absolutely invaluable.

Hot Cops fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 11, 2010

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

torgeaux posted:

Reyes Head Shot3 by torgeaux, on Flickr

It's still pretty underexposed - look at the collar of his white shirt.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008
Are there any more like the second? That's the only one that I feel he's positioned relative to the light where he should be. Nice post, though the second one is a tad more yellow than the rest. As for posing, I like all of them except for 4 - I'll echo McMadCow regarding his smile in the last frame.With this subject, the more regal and 'old-rear end oil painting' looking, the better.

edit: also, I'd really like the context the railing and pillar give in the last one if he was moved over to camera right and not covering any of it

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

xenilk posted:

As for my flickr URL it was inspired from a discussion I had with a photography group in my region. I see a lot of professional photographers that really take it personal when you call yourself a photographer (which is really silly in my book because a photographer is just someone who takes pictures). So I decided that I wouldn't call myself a photographer... It's silly when you think about it but I feel like it's just a nudge at those professional photographer who takes things way too seriously. They should let their work speak for itself instead of being mad at insignificant little things like that.

Reminds me of: http://www.threequestionmarks.com/blog/2007/06/im-not-photographer.html

edit: NSFW, boobs on the page.

Hot Cops fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 11, 2011

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

Elite Taco posted:

^^ I agree. I can't get the stitching to work for the extra frames. :( I have 100+ frames of the whole scene, but I must have shifted the camera or something cause beyond this crop I get a discontinuity in her arm and then things start to distort :(

Just take it in a little tighter and liquify that tricep in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008
a 4 foot roll of white seamless is going to be like, 50 bucks. just buy the paper - bedsheets/shower curtains/fabric almost always looks like poo poo.