Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fenner
Oct 4, 2008
Did my first proper portrait shoot today, it was 3 hours away and had no location or theme planned. My shots feel very mediocre and I have no idea how to go about processing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenner
Oct 4, 2008

HPL posted:

They aren't a house on fire, but they're solid.

If anything, the photos seem a bit languid. I take it she wasn't the most expressive person in the world?

She isnt a model or anything, and i didnt give many directions for expressions. Heres a fun one though:

You're right nonanone, I was looking for decent landscape compositions that would work with a model within them, guess you need a completely different thought process for portraits. Thanks for the crit, I think they definitely need more exciting postures/expressions, this one above is probably my favourite from the set even though its really simple, just because it has fun expression.

fenner
Oct 4, 2008

Tongsy posted:

I played around with the lighting setup, i was never able to get rid of the reflection, just minimize it at that.
The question is, what's the best way to get rid of the reflections on the glasses?

http://www.studiolighting.net/lighting-eyeglasses/

please crit the poo poo out of my portraits, i think i have a big problem trying to compose like landscapes and next time im oing to force myself to shoot more angles once i have lights set up, rather than just sticking to what i had in mind

fenner fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Mar 22, 2010

fenner
Oct 4, 2008

psylent posted:

Agreed, that last shot is fantastic. Was it all natural lighting?

Nope, 2 lights. 1 Brolly outside of the tram lighting her face and 1 on the other side of the tram with no modifier acting as a slight rim, can see it on the poles and her hair.

fenner
Oct 4, 2008

Cross_ posted:

I have finally gotten some gear together to start looking into portrait photography. My first attempt at pestering friends & family to take their pictures is shown below. After weeding through the shots and post-processing for an hour I am having a hard time evaluating the result objectively.

There are probably tons of things to improve, but what would be the most obvious points to tackle first ?

The first thing that sticks out for me is that the girls hair is just drowned in the background. 2 easy fixes: brighter background or more light on her hair. I think the best fix in this cicrumstance is just to throw up a reflector on the right itll brighten up those dark shadows and throw some light at her hair whilst staying a nice and simple family portrait.

Solid on-the-spot thinking torgeaux, they came out really well.