Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

why the gently caress is the criticism in this thread so loving aggro? people talking about what art is or not wtf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

Probably because the response to legit helpful criticism is so flippant and bratty. It invites more harsh words.

I dunno, I've been watching/reading this thread for a while - the feedback feels much different than in other threads. Way more declarative and way more pointed and harsh.

The feedback you personally gave me in the concert thread was positive, constructive, and extremely helpful; the other posters in here are harsher and bleak. No wonder echinopsis doesn't like contrast.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

bobmarleysghost posted:

How is it aggro? Is it because it's pointed? I've reread it and none of it is aggressive.

Should we instead switch to a "poo poo sandwhich" model where we gush, trash bash, gush? Would that be better?

e: edited out foul language

Your ''it's not even art'' comment alone was enough to put me off of ever submitting anything to this thread.

It's reeks of elitism. Elitism that I haven't seen in other threads in The Dorkroom that I also read/participate in.

It was just a meta comment and question on the nature of the criticism in this thread. Especially in contrast to the feedback I received in the Concert photography thread.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Better based on what? Your own personal tastes? Like this specific art can be solely objective in nature?

That's where the elitism I'm feeling is coming from. This notion that you are defining his listed influences and outputs empirically are

quote:

bad and not good

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Ganging up on and telling someone their art isn't good isn't a good way to elucidate that you want them to do better.
It's loving bullying.

I've re-read the thread a bunch of times now, eventually, the tips and best practices come out, but god drat you guys poo poo first then help later aggressively. It was stark as hell to me I wanted to call it out. I'm not looking for a hugbox, I just think there's a better way.

Slotducks fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 9, 2023