Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leyendecker
Oct 31, 2008

:sun:
This was taken almost a year ago when I knew basically nothing about lighting in the studio, but I figure I'd post it just to further fuel the "what makes something a portrait" debate. I'm aware this probably doesn't qualify for a classical portrait.

(It was definitely inspired by an Avedon shot, and I think we can agree he did portraiture)

Leyendecker fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Nov 3, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leyendecker
Oct 31, 2008

Reichstag posted:

Going out and doing it your own way, without that crutch of instructions, will help you much more in the long-term. The pants-making GBS threads is important, getting out of your comfort zone, not gradually extending it.
Asking the first person for their photo will be such a rush that you'll most likely flub the picture completely, and you'll probably love it.

Reichstag- normally I think you're way too harsh on people but in this instance I totally agree. Spontaneity is only going to lead to good things in the long run- just get over yourself and start a conversation. There are a lot of characters waiting to be found if you just talk to people and make them comfortable with you.

I missed shooting black and white and figured I'd try out RAW processing without color for once- it was pretty fun.

Leyendecker
Oct 31, 2008

Decided to start a mini-series using the set up I posted a little earlier. Here's a new one.

Leyendecker
Oct 31, 2008

Hop Pocket posted:

That's nice. Would you mind giving some information on your lighting setup?

It was just an sb-600 bounced from the ceiling at like 1/16 in a dark room- but it was in a doorway, so the light really bounced around a lot.