Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
D40s are more than capable enough, try to not shoot people in straight daylight though, shade is far better.

Rather than buying gear, try taking photos of friends first and look hard at the pictures to find out what you like, don't like, and could do better. This thread also typically gives very good and honest feedback.

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009

echinopsis posted:

not sure if this rule of thumb extends .. like you saw that 1:1 above .. the lens is so sharp with such good resolution, I haven’t tested it but I suspect at 1/125 it’s gonna be introducing some shake that might not be noticeable on film. I could be wrong of course (unlikely, you know me)

Then why are you destroying the lens' characteristics with lovely fake grain?

e: learn how to hold a camera properly

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
Did you add in fake grain again?

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
You're turning potentially good photos into bad photos. Do less editing.

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
Here's one I took recently.

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009

Both this and the previous one look too warm to me. Are you adjusting the white balance to be as correct as possible before you grade/desaturate/mess around with the colour sliders?

I don't think the previous photo was overexposed and I don't care about the focus or anything. From a technical perspective I think you need to be thinking about the white balance.

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
It looks like it's daylight, somewhat shaded by trees. Your camera should be metering better. Have you accidentally set a white balance shift?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
...How long did you spend correcting the curves in that exquisite scan above?

Seriously though, it's fine to choose a different white balance but if a modernish digital camera is consistently giving a greenish cast it sounds like there's some issues with the settings.