Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
It's difficult as hell to manual focus with the d40's crappy little viewfinder, and it doesn't help that my 50mm 1.8 ai-s doesn't meter with it. Can't wait for my d300.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Penpal posted:

did a bunch of portrait shots of my sister. I used a light box I created which was too her left, and a snooted flash at 1/16th behind her for the hair light. It's easy to work with someone when you're related and already have a decent relationship

The fourth is by far the best here. If you're capable, use photoshop to close her mouth fully, the slight gap doesn't really add for it. Other than that, nice capture.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

brad industry posted:

There's at least 2 or 3 Cobra Snake wannabes in every major city now, it's so annoying.

edit:
This pretty perfectly sums up how I feel about them:

From a review of a Nan Goldin show http://www.artforum.com/archive/id=24055

Would you mind just quoting the whole thing, I really don't want to register for another site to read it.-+

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Reichstag posted:

I like this one. :)

I like this a lot more than I like your usual hyper grainy stuff.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

fronkpies posted:

Good stuff.

Got speaking to this old lady at the bus stop, got about four shots in the end, nice woman.

I love this, but I wanted to see it in black and white, so I did a quick conversion in cs4.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
I did say quick conversion. I'm sure with a little effort that horrible black pit of despair that is her mouth could be lightened, for instance.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
I was quite happy with how this came out, considering it's on my backup camera (a d40) using a manual focus 50 1.8 and was completely spur of the moment. Straight out of camera.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

fronkpies posted:

Okay I had a quick test, this is standing next to a window and with two lovely desk lamps pointing at her, but there was no light at all so had to shoot pretty wide open, annoying because in the originals everything is perfectly sharp. Getting the skin tone is quite difficult. Its missing the harsh shadows, so lots of stuff to improve upon, I really like the style and processing of the originals though.

I really need some lighting stuff, doing this on the cheap just doesn't cut it.

This is a fantastic first attempt, dude.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

stoneb posted:

Just getting started with portrait photography and I'm having a blast!

These are pretty much going in order from best to worst. The first has really nice shadows, and the model has a great expression. The other two with him are just kind of, well, boring. On the last, everything's ok except her body's coming into the camera at a really weird angle while her head is still straight, which makes the whole thing look pretty off. Actually I take back what I said about order because on second glance the third one is pretty good also. :)

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
Yea, that's a pretty bad expression/pose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
Ektar owns. Shot with a diffused hotlight. Mamiya C330, 80mm 2.8 @ f4, 1/30.

Genderfluid fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Oct 18, 2010