Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
We needed photos taken for profile pictures for Office 2010 at work.

Quick and dirty as gently caress. The background is the back of a door in a meeting room. Natural light from a window from the front, fluorescent lights above and I bounced a flash off a whiteboard on the wall to my right.

I was pretty pleased with how they turned out considering. A prize* goes to the first person who guesses what industry I work in.

*there is no prize

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
We usually have to wear business shirts, but we have casual Fridays and that's when I had my camera in the office. So yes, of course it's IT.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
We're a managed services IT company, it's not everyone but there's helpdesk monkeys, a couple of network engineers/architects and a couple of business/project managers. Our developers declined the invitation to have their photos taken.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
The vignette is waaaaaay over the top on that first one and I'm not a fan of the colour tones in either one sorry guy :/ The crop on the first shot feels awkward and you've cut her feet off on the second one.

That being said, feel free to rip into me, I did a portrait/maternity shoot on Sunday. Shot on a Canon 7D with a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 and Canon 85mm f/1.8

psylent fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 15, 2010

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
She's due in 2-3 weeks. Asian chicks, whatchagonnado?

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Thanks Arinel! Every session I have is more practice, I'll probably mess around with them a bit more in Lightroom this evening.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Arinel posted:

You're doing better than me! I wish I could make money out of photos. :P
There's no reason you can't! I think I'm an average to competent photographer and so far all of my clients have been really happy with what I've produced, but I know I have so drat much to learn and so much to improve on.

You can get paid for photography, it just takes some effort on the marketing side of things. Whenever I meet someone through work or anywhere else I drop it into conversation and even that I'm a photographer/I'm shooting a wedding this weekend etc. This maternity shoot was actually my physiotherapist and his wife :)

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Did you use some kind of snoot pointed at his head on that second shot?

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Righto, I've taken a few portraits as part of my 365 recently and I'm relatively happy with. Please feel free to rip them apart:

Quick snap of my grandfather using daylight through a window with a thin white curtain for lighting.

My dad, using a bright but overcast day as lighting.

Headshot for a wedding planner I do work with every now and then. Awesome golden hour lighting. Minor Photoshopping on this to remove stray hairs/lessen the wrinkles etc.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
She did repeatedly say she hates having her photo taken, and we only had about 15 mins to do the shoot. Portraiture's something I really want to work on, and I'm learning that a big part of it isn't the technical side of things; it's also making your subject feel comfortable and relaxed among other things. I think that's why my family portraits are a bit stronger. Her smile definitely looks forced.

edit: she just emailed to say she was really happy with it. I'll keep your advice in mind for next time anyway:)

psylent fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 16, 2011

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

AtomicManiac posted:

Aside from the "White Line" on the last one, your dad appears to look considerably older than your grandfather. I don't know if this is actually the case (IE: Hard lifestyle) or if the black and white is really making his wrinkles pop out more than they should.
That would be Mediterranean skin vs Anglo skin. Also my dad worked shift work most of his life which probably didn't help.

BobTheCow posted:

The "quick snap" part of your grandfather really shows, the sloppy background (picture frame growing out of his head, window or something just peeking in on the left) kills it for me.

Loving everything about the B&W of your dad!
It was quite sloppy, I might get around to editing it at some point to remove all the extra junk.

Glad everyone likes the Dad portrait, I'm pretty happy with it. :)

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Penpal - are the skin tones accurate on that shot?

Does anyone have a link to that website that has the same model shot at focal lengths from 10mm-400mm? I really need to bookmark it.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

mr. mephistopheles posted:

The more time I spend here the more I realize how ridiculously low the expectations of non-photographers are, which is cool, because that's usually who is giving you money to take pictures. And that raises all kinds of fun philosophical questions about what qualifies art as good.
I feel like I'm barely competent as a photographer, yet all my clients seem to really love what I do. While that's nice, I really only appreciate compliments from other photographers and people who know their poo poo.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Man_alive posted:

Right away I could tell that this was Australian.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
This was a corporate headshot thingy I did:

It looks fine in Lightroom, but the blacks are really black after export some reason.

Lightroom on the right :/

psylent fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Feb 8, 2011

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

This looks pretty solid except her skin tone looks a little too grey, I think it might be just a tad underexposed.
Thanks, but it seems Lightroom is darkening on output for some reason. I have nothing applied, it's rather annoying :mad:

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
It looks like the background was composited in

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
AIIAZNSK8ER - I think you've got the right attitude to be honest. These are just portraits of local business owners and they're solid, they're not supposed to be high art. As you go along you can start experimenting with different lighting etc, but for what they are they do the job.

I remember your pregnancy yoga shoot as being quite fun :)

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

I took and posted this one a while ago. I liked it, and people seem to like it a lot so I've entered my first photography competition with it. Hopefully it'll lead to something.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Arinel posted:

What comp?
Head On - I don't think I'm really in with a chance, but it can't hurt to enter. Especially when the prizes are so awesome.

psylent fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 2, 2011

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I did a couple of corporate headshot dealies a while back for a company I used to work for but never got around to posting them here for some savage crit. These are all from separate sessions hence the inconsistency in head sizes. The last one was shot landscape as the lady was 8 months pregnant and didn't want her belly showing.

My lighting setup isn't spectacular. I've got a 580exII (good!) and a 420ex (bad!) as it fires at full power every time.

580ex firing through a shoot through umbrella to subject right as key. 420ex snooted, diffused and bouncing off a wall to the subject's left as fill.

They wanted a shot on white for this one, so I fired the 480ex at the wall behind her and did the usual umbrella on the subject's right deal. I can see the whiteness is overpowering around the edges of her hair.

For the next time I do this I can already tell that I'm going to need a hair light when I'm shooting on a black background.

Now rip me apart and make me a new man.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Also, corporate headshots are disgustingly boring.
Corporate headshots are pretty boring, but they're about to pay for my new 5DMk II so I don't really mind. It feels like easy money :cool:

psylent fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 3, 2011

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
They were shot on a Canon 7D/85mm at f/8 | 1/250 - I see what you mean about the softness though. I have no idea where that came from :)

I'm going to attempt to take 40 street portraits in Sydney's red light district this Wednesday evening as part of an assignment a photography class I'm attending. Hope I don't get beaten up!

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Elite Taco posted:

Did my first OCF shoot yesterday:

Go go, brick wall.

It was encouraging to see the flash behave in the way that I expected it to. A lot of my shots were a bit soft, however, due to my left eye not being totally clear yet. :(
Nicely done, but you'll probably want to airbrush that vein on her forehead a bit.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Shot a friend's band. It was my first time doing this sort of thing but luckily all the guys in the band were more than happy to ham it up for the camera:

Their Facebook page is here.

psylent fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 29, 2011

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I know everyone's down on Portrait Professional due to the real doll-like stuff they advertise with, but I gave it a try and it's not actually that bad if you turn the sliders way down. These are all pretty much straight out of camera and thrown into PP - about 10 mins work total. I'm trying to get a bit more work doing corporate headshots (boring but easy money) and this is making my life a lot easier.

It's on sale for $40 so it wasn't a hard decision.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
That's racist.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Had some friends over for dinner, they're about to fly home to the UK to get married so I set up a quick shot.

Reflective umbrella on camera right, big white reflector on the left. Bit of split toning/level adjustment in Lightroom.

psylent fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 12, 2011

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Nicely done Paragon! Congratulations.

Site is offline at the moment though :(

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
^^^^ It's her mouth in that particular shot. Scroll up and hide the bottom half of her face.

I shot a family portrait session for a friend. This was taken the moment her son burped in her face :3:

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
They're much brighter in LightRoom, but whenever I export stuff to JPG it seems to darken it. There's no vignette in LR either. It's like it turns the blacks up to 7-8 and adds a vignette on export, I've triple checked and nothing is being applied on export. It's saving as sRGB so I'm at a bit of a loss to explain it all really :(

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Nah, you can do a lot with sunlight and a reflector. And a reflector can be an actual reflector, some white cardboard or a brick wall or anything really :)

Here's a couple of my wife that I was pretty happy with. Taken in the afternoon with some nice light coming in from the window, and one taken at a friend's wedding, again with natural light bouncing in through a window:

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I did a shoot for a friend's band:

Highly original concept:

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Paragon8 posted:

gotta watch the focus when you have them standing at different distances from the camera
That was on purpose, we'll trying to make the frontman stand out a bit more :)

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Good points.

I was just using a flash on a stand behind them for the back light. I probably should have used an umbrella or something to spread the light a bit more.

Here's another one from the same session (this is straight out of camera, I'm aware of the flash stand):

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I hate shooting babies, what you need is their parents right behind you dancing around making idiots of themselves so that the kid looks vaguely in your direction and smiles.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

CarrotFlowers posted:

His expression in this one is awesome...hehe

Goodreau Twins-0537 by bernsai, on Flickr
Great shots, I'm sure the parents will be very happy them :)

The good thing about photographing kids is that the parents are so besotted with their own children, so all you have do is get a nicely exposed shot that is in focus with a shallow depth of field and they'll be extremely happy. If you can get the kid into a non-awkward pose and manage a nice composition as well then you're more than golden.

I don't really enjoy shooting kids, so I really only do close friends' kids.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
That took 100 frames? I barely know what I'm doing and can get a decent Breznier effect happening with about 20 shots, and that includes full body and surrounds!

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Had a workshop today, this is once I snapped while she was posing for the teacher. It's amazing what you can do at 6400 ISO.

It's also amazing what a difference working with a model who knows how to dress, how to pose and a make up artist who does a good job. Aside from curves, minor exposure adjustments and some very light split toning, I've done nothing to these shots.

It'd be so nice to photograph pretty people all the time.

psylent fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Nov 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

XTimmy posted:

The bridal one looks like a tad under, I feel like that dress and the highlights on her face should be a great deal brighter.

QPZIL posted:

Agreed, there's no real true white point in the image. The other one's got a good tonal range though.
I purposively muted the highlights on the bridal shot, I kinda liked it. I'll re-edit tonight and see if I can bring the highlights out a bit more.

xenilk, as usual your stuff is looking great :)