Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Hello, I'm going to post this here as I'm currently in a studio photography class and portraits are obviously our focus.

This photo specifically was the first shot of the session, and was actually going to be a throwaway shot as two of the three lights didn't fire for various reasons. Only the light with the snoot attachment focused on her face fired. Further, I had yet to dial in the correct exposure. As such, the original photo was underexposed and lacking the look we were striving for with the project (snoot light on right side of her face as main, softbox on left side as fill and a color gel light pointed at the backdrop to create a gradient color halo effect behind her head.)

BUT, when I got home to edit I saw an opportunity to go creative with the first shot and this is the result. For me, it's training of the nature making something out of nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

echinopsis posted:

I like this man. and would love to hear more about the class as it carries on

Thank you! I have another shoot with the same fellow student this Friday. We're reverse engineering a photo.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Had the shoot today. Everything went really well. I just winged it on the setup of the lights and sort of nailed it on the first round of shots. Total luck moment and the photo gods must have been with me. I decided to shoot with the Helios 44-2 58/2 lens for the super wide open creamy soft light look and went ahead and threw it on the tilt shift adapter so I could dial in a super tight plane of focus and just murder the soft bokeh everywhere other than right on her lips. It worked out I think.

Here's the original that I was trying to recreate, from Takashi Hayashi.

And my attempt to reverse engineer it

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Your plane of focus is way too tight. The original has fairly clear definition all the way through, whereas you just blow everything but part of the mouth out.

I agree, part of that was to hide the obvious differences in the outfit. Tho, I really don't think the professor will worry too much about the outfit.

Thank you for the feedback 😊

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
105mm @ f/3.5 ?

Nice shot! What camera? I'm not caught up on your timeline.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Those are great 🙋

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Great capture!

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
I too often raise the black point, but my reference was from older magazine looks where they didn't have proper black on the page.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

p0stal b0b posted:

More candids...

These are great 👍

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Big fan of the framing and overall feel of the last photo there. Good separation from the background with good bokeh, and I, personally like the coloring of it. The grading looks like you maybe threw the shadows into a blue/green and lifted the blacks which gives a magazine feel. Overall I think that matches her feel and I think it works in this photo.

Middle two photos are good, a little more separation between subject and background might have helped a bit, with more of a feel for where they were taken evident in the background, though I don't know how much room you had to play with.

Stairs photo... I like the composition. Call me crazy if I'm overlooking a specific effect you're going for here, but I have to ask. Did you intend to make the sky green?

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Ominous Jazz posted:

I wanted to try to be very different than the other ones and pop more kinda edgy but i'm not super in love with how it came out

Be different! Keep doing different things. Push limits. It's through trial and error you'll find cool techniques.

Do you have discord?

I went nuts one day in Lightroom and came up with this

Viginti Septem fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 26, 2023

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
We have a dork room discord?

I'm on the One More Stop one

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Awesome, I've joined!

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Great backdrop, great photo

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
I was out shooting some flower shots and a lady came up to me and asked to model.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Incredulous Dylan posted:

Viginti you always bring such an interesting set of colors to your work across all these different photography threads. Maybe because of the darker skin, but I think the the greens and yellows go so well with the model. Do you have color theory in mind or just adjust until it looks right to you on these?

Wow, thank you so much for the kind words.

No formal color theory in mind, just lots of practice with color grading and ideas of what I'd like to see hanging on a wall. Each photo is experimental for me in my approach and I try to push boundaries all the time with combinations of techniques. Nine times it won't work, one time it will and then I remember it for the next time. I've learned a lot from mistakes over the years. I try to review my past work constantly to see what I don't like and fix that on the next one.

Thanks again though really, I appreciate that.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
e: btw, this is a great portrait shot you have here

Viginti Septem fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 19, 2023

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Those previous candids are great. I really like the mood of the last one, the chair.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

bellows lugosi posted:

i go to the ODOT website on my phone and stand in front of the camera until i show up on it

lol that's fantastic 😆

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Echi, your photos are good and your artistic style is your artistic style. It's what makes you unique. Chase that. Don't ever stop trying to find that style that you're looking for. Step in the mud and get dirty until you figure out what it is you're after. That's how we grow.

I'm fairly sure there's not a right answer to photography, but if there is, it isn't in trying to get approval from those who would consistently tell you you're not good. Elevate above that.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

echinopsis posted:

gently caress I love me a sunset, basically cheating

Using the tools in your tool chest is not cheating :D

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
A couple studio shot things to consider.

Expose for the ambient light with no flash, then add flash on top of that to paint light where you want more light.

Separate your subject from the background. If you have a longer lens, or a zoom, put more distance between subject and background, AND move your camera further from the subject and use the longer lens to compress the subject and background together. More distance between subject and background will increase the size of the bokeh balls on the tree and the longer focal length will keep that tree from appearing further away.

Don't be afraid to light the tree a bit with another light, unless you're just wanting the tree lights as the background.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Your raw is actually much brighter than I was expecting. Simply as an alternative to what was posted here already, you could accentuate the tree and background instead of killing them off.

Some hyper critical things that stood out to me as I was editing: composition, your subject is slightly out of frame with their elbow, the tree is slightly off center from the subject, hard to find a balance point for a solid composition. Necklace is off center

Without masking, you could go for a brighter image such as this:

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Tsietisin posted:

Composition wise, its an odd one. We played a LARP at new year and this was one of their characters. Their character was a bit off kilter, a bit disjointed which is why I was going for the things not looking quite right and off balance. It's an interesting trade off to decent framing while trying to get the spirit of the character.

If it fits the character, roll with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
:hai: