Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrButterpants
Jul 20, 2002

One of a small handful of posters on TFR that really, really know their shit when it comes to long range target rifles. -Cyrano4747

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Ok I'm back this time with more smile. These were done around 3pm making the sun was pretty harsh, so I brought the sb-600 for fill. I learned a lot. The idea this time was just focusing on good portraits. Any crits?

Keep this thread rollin'...

The sun is awful. If you are in love with the location but it's a lovely time of day, but you gotta shoot now...just gobo the sun. Either get an assistant or a stand/clamp/foamcore and block out the sun directly over your model....then light to taste with flashes. The sun will still handle the surroundings.

These books are fantastic for the strobist/location portrait shooter. Same author for both and they're cheap. I highly recommend them

Minimalist Lighting: Professional Techniques for Location Photography
http://www.amazon.com/Minimalist-Lighting-Professional-Techniques-Photography/dp/1584282304/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1252140611&sr=8-3

Minimalist Lighting: Professional Techniques for Studio Photography
http://www.amazon.com/Minimalist-Lighting-Professional-Techniques-Photography/dp/1584282509/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1252140653&sr=1-4

When you want to start impressing your photog friends (or just annoy them), the next step in really understanding light is:

Light: Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting
http://www.amazon.com/Light-Science-Introduction-Photographic-Lighting/dp/0240808193/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1252140611&sr=8-12

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrButterpants
Jul 20, 2002

One of a small handful of posters on TFR that really, really know their shit when it comes to long range target rifles. -Cyrano4747

psylent posted:

Ahh, I ask because I was asked to do some corporate headshots at work, and aside from a huge sheet of black paper I got from a photo studio and my 420ex, bouncing off a wall - I really didn't have much of a set up and I didn't really know what I was doing. My background came out dark grey and I've had to photoshop to get it properly black.

I really need to learn more about lighting :(

Keeping your shutter speed at max flash sync (most likely 1/250 sec) to knock down the ambient....shooting at a 'normal' portrait f/ stop (8-16 depending on lighting) and subject distance from background are the most important things in turning a background black. Because of the inverse square rule with light, the subject distance to background yeilds the most effective results. Keep your flash to subject distance the same if you like the exposure and walk them both 10' from your backdrop....amazing difference...no more grey

MrButterpants
Jul 20, 2002

psylent posted:

MrButterpants: where can I learn more of what you just said?

Besides reading the 3 books that I listed a few pages back, try the video products from Zack Arias (OneLight) and David Hobby (Strobist). Both are fantastic.

MrButterpants
Jul 20, 2002

psylent posted:

Thanks a million. Just got back from my shoot, turned the lights off (there was still dull ambient light from the window), set my shutter to 1/250, f/stop to 8, set my background far back from the subject - everything came out exactly as I needed it to.

I love this place :love: I'm picking up a couple of the books you mentioned too.

Glad to help.