Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Alright fellas, rip this crap apart. I want to learn how to shoot people.

I'm not sure I get portraits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

fronkpies posted:

Got to hand it to you portrait photographers, its hard.

Any feedback on these? went for a walk in the woods, light was nice so tried to get something nice of my girlfriend, then realised i cant direct at all, then got home and tree after loving tree was sticking out of her head haha, amateur mistakes, and alot of them.

I can spot a few things you can try and avoid. Her glasses cut through her eyes and cast a hard shadow on her face. You are pointing the camera down at her, which doesn't help that.

I mostly think it's her expression though, she really doesn't look pleased to have her picture taken.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Jiblet posted:

Does this count as a portrait?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonpeel/4921134203/

My wife with my 1 day old son. It was one of those spur of the moment pictures you just get inspiration for and go hog wild, and I think it came out really well.

I like it.

My wife got mad at me for putting this on Flickr:

August-34 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

So now I'm posting it on the forums to make her even more upset with me. :v:

I have a hell of a time taking a photo of her, any pointers for getting some shots she'll not hate right away?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

psylent posted:

This is one of my first attempts at skin smoothing, too much? Does anyone have a link to a tutorial for a good one?

My poor wife worked an 11 hour day and was just about to head to bed when I asked her to pose for me. As you can probably tell, she's tired as hell in this shot.

Flash on a stand bouncing off the wall behind me.

I think you have the contrast set a little too high.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

2012-17 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

Yeah, got a baby photo!

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I made a really big light box kinda thing at work.

Allan by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

2013-6 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

sw1gger posted:

What's going on with her toe?

I had a black bed sheet on the floor and it folded up and covered her toe. This whole set of photos was her idea. She wanted to do a fashion show or something. I just told her where to stand and to do whatever she wanted.

Have some more:

2013-2 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

2013-4 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

2013-5 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

2013-3 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

I like this one best:

2013-8 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/image-histogram/kgefpfienchbbehcjnmbmogdigoedhaj?hl=en

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

sw1gger posted:

Also, TomR - The grandmother photo has too much glare in her glasses.

I agree, somnambulist should try harder next time.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
This one is pretty good. http://i.imgur.com/v48HvPB.jpg

I mean it sums up the project fairly well.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Maybe try masking out the bits that aren't in focus. Your DOF is so thin that you are trying to grit the creamy smooth bokey and it just comes out wrong.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

2013-689 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
They look like a nice proper red on my monitor.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

2013-872 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

2013-873 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

2013-876 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

2013-879 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

2013-874 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

I'm having a hard time picking the good ones out. Granted this is my Daughter and I like almost all of the photos I take of her.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
It was all post. I didn't bring anything with me, just went for a walk with her and she wanted me to take her photo. I should train her brother to be an assistant and hold the reflector, ha ha.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

2014-656 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I haven't posted a photo of my kids in a while. This guy is hard to work with. Way worse than my girl ever was.

2015-19 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Spedman posted:

A St Kilda fan?? Poor guy.

Ha ha, my brother spend six months working in Australia and got really into the sports down there. I had forgotten where that scarf even came from until you pointed it out. We're in Canada and no one knows what the scarf even says.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

big scary monsters posted:

Picked up a camera for the first time in months over Christmas.

I'm way out of practice with my P6, so many shots where I've just missed focus. :(
Nobody will notice on Facebook, but I do and it hurts me.

I like your photos big scary monsters. They are honest and playful.

2015-43 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Trying new things.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
You've got a model with a nearly blank expression, in flat light, making very static poses. If you wanted to make the subject her and not her body then you need to have some of her personality come through. If you have achieved that here then you have told us that this is a deeply uninteresting woman. I choose to believe you have failed, and that you should let her direct the costuming and poses next time. No amount of makeup or costumes could cheapen these photos. The worst thing about them is that they are boring. I don't even find them sexual. The entirety of the energy given off is that you had a model in the woods that you could convince to take her top off. It isn't sexy, it feels exploitative.
The noise is whatever. If that was the problem with the photos then that would mean that everything else was good, which is isn't so the noise isn't a problem. If you shot with the intention of producing noise then I would ask why, because I don't see what it would add to the photos.
You should go back on a day with more interesting light, and let her wear whatever she wants. It would probably be cool.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Look at other photos and find ones you like. Think about what you like about them and how to accomplish that.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
You probably want to think about how and why you are using the lighting.

Camera Test-3 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

I wish I didn't have that bright triangle in the upper corner, it's distracting!

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Big Camera-3 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

Another shot with my really big camera. It takes a lot of light so I tried sitting in direct sun. It was very hard not to squint.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I made a frame for my really big camera so it's a lot easier to use now.

Big Camera-7 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
The one of the kid is good. I love moments like that.

Another photo taken with my big camera. I'm pleased with how well it's working now.

Big Camera-10 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Larissa-20231120-2 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

Larissa-20231120-1 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

2 second exposure. Good job sitting still Larissa.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Another portrait of someone doing an art taken with my big camera.

August-20231124-1 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Dinner-20231125-1 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

I've been taking environmental portraits with my really big camera. It's a pain in the rear end to use but I like the look I get. Still working out some kinks.

TomR fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 26, 2023

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Thank you. I'm sorry I thought I had posted about it but that was a different camera.

This is a 24" x 24" sliding box camera I've been working on. It has a 600mm f/9 lens. These shots I was using it as a camera obscura and using a DSLR to take a photo of a foamcore board inside it.

I didn't get a tighter crop because the picture I'm going for is about the clutter around the subject as much as the subject. I do agree that normally you would want that though. This is just at my mom's house so maybe next time I'll clear off the coffee table and put the camera right on it for subjects in that chair.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
You kit may be cheap, but perfectly serviceable. A really simple thing you could try would be to use fewer lights. Try to light a subject with one or two lights. There are lighting cheat sheets you can look at to get an idea. Just get a friend, or even yourself, and just take lots of photos. Try to recreate the effect shown. Other than that I'd say your photos aren't too bad. They could use some post processing maybe, but focus on trying to achieve a goal with your lighting first.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

This is a super cool project but the end result just looks like the 35 f/2 shot on a 5D. It's impressive how clean it comes out, but it still just looks like a digital shot in the end. Any plans to go full analog for the setup?

Thanks, but I'm not really trying to make it look like film. The 600mm lens imparts way more character to the image than the lens on the DSLR does.

Rooster-20231127-1 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

Rooster-20231127-2 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

First one is the box cam, second one is just turning the DSLR around. The framing isn't exactly the same and I had to crop like half the image away because 35mm is way wider but I wanted to get the frame close to the same for the comparison. As you can see they don't look anything alike unless you want to zoom way in and compare the noise or whatever but I'm not into that.

Cute dog. I think I like light better in the first one but the pose is neat in the second.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Yeah, wide open. I tried to get them looking as the same as I could in Lightroom. The box camera has a natural haze I tone down, and tried to add a bit of to the other one. Just nothing like the glass you get that covers such a large image circle.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I really like the pin hole pictures you've posted. This is a great portrait too.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
My first camera was a home made pinhole that took cut sheets of photo paper. I think I was around 11 years old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Lucky-20231129-1 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

This is one bare alien bee on the dog. He's a good dog for putting up with me.