Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Don't cut limbs/hands.
Frame your stuff purposefully (include stuff you want, exclude things that don't contribute to what you're trying to say with your pictures).

Shoot wide open (on the kit lens it's not much but every bit helps).
Push up your ISO even when shooting flash so you don't cut ambient light down so much.
Use as long a shutter time as possible (again, to let in some ambient).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

For the love of gently caress use gels.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Reichstag posted:

'Bland' is not a style.
Hahaha you big meanie.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Please feel free to educate about anything you drat well please, provided you keep using this sort of illustrative material.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

dreggory posted:

Mackenzie Tattoos-20110411-003 by M Bradshaw, on Flickr
hahahahaha this is so great.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

For the love of something dear to you, stop using microscopic fonts 8(

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You've got some pretty noticeable halo'ing going on :|

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

This says mortician/examiner more than vet to me. The window in the back is kinda distracting, and the light on his face is pretty flat. But I like his expression, and your rapport seems to be improving a lot. Also straighten it the gently caress up.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

He's printing his penis.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Elite Taco posted:

Go go, brick wall.

The forehead vein is one thing, and also you should try not to have your light accentuate the shadow righ under her eyes.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Your sister sounds like the greatest person ever.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

xenilk posted:

I'm having a really hard time working with a male subject, I will have to work on it... the postures/positions of the hands/body just doesn't speak to me as much.
Solution: make fantabulous gay friends. Bring them to shoots. That or girls. But gay dudes are better.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

CarrotFlowers posted:

I had a session with my sister and a couple of friends yesterday so that I could practice with people. I dunno how you guys do it so well. We went 2-3 hours before sunset, but the sun was so bright it was directly in everyone's eyes, so I ended up shooting in a shadowed area. I had my camera on Av with spot metering on their face (correct, incorrect method?), and it kept underexposing so I bumped up my exposure compensation by 2/3 or a full stop, and they still came out underexposed...sigh. I shot in RAW, so it wasn't the end of the world, but still frustrating. I'm also going to ask my sister to not wear a white shirt next time, as it really threw off my sense of proper exposure.
Or, use manual and look at the histogram (expose to the right, watch your highlight in all color channels).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Reichstag posted:

Pretty much. I forget where I saw it, but it comes down to the Kidney test, don't do it for free unless you'd give them a kidney (at least if it's your profession).
That's an awesome rule for anything you do professionally.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You can tell the colors by just looking at the highlights and the shadows.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Tokyo Sandblaster posted:

Just had a photoshoot with a friend doing this girl's senior portraits and the weather couldn't have been any worse. We had to take regular breaks due to rain starting and stopping (drat, Seattle.)
Overcast days are actually great for portraiture, you just have to mind the actual weather, and avoid boring skies if that's what happens where you live (it was horrible in the Netherlands, not quite so bad in Sweden).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

http://shouldiworkforfree.com/

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

CarrotFlowers posted:

I'll try and bribe him with cookies or something next time.
Try sex (faster, healthier, and more enjoyable).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Oprah Haza posted:

...but then there'll be all sorts of specular highlights from the sweat and the clothing would get all wrinkled and his skin would be too red in the photos....

I think I just admitted I would rather shoot a person than have sex with them....
The hell's the matter with you? Shoot pictures, then gently caress.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah you need to control your shadows mang. Also light string barely clothed lady is like the most cliche shoot ever, but you need to start somewhere.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

CarrotFlowers posted:

Somehow I always forget about crop factor. That makes me feel slightly better. They were still in most of them though, so it was definitely an error/shakiness on my part.
Lift a weight and cut down on the caffeine if it bothers you

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

They're both great for what they are. They just can't always turn out the way you wish they would.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Shot some stuff to do an audition headshot - any recommendations?

Upper teeth over lower lip, don't cut the hair, background too hot (you're losing edge definition). She needs to stand straighter.

MrOpus posted:

I suppose this is technically a snapshot, but I love how it turned out. I bounced the flash off of a reflective heating duct on the ceiling.

Tear it apart. I'm feeling too good about it.

Jan20 by Chad Larson Photography, on Flickr

All I can see is forehead and shoulders. It doesn't help that the drastic falloff ends on a dark garment that reflects your only light source, so you end up with too high contrast there too.

psylent posted:

I'm shooting a few corporate portraits on a black background.

My set up is a going to be a softbox camera left, a reflector camera right and a flash above/behind to give give the hair/shoulders some separation for the background. Should I be snooting that light or just zooming it to the max?
You'll at least want to flag it so there's no LOS to your lens.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

xenilk posted:

Editing pictures while watching creative woohoo
You really need *some* kind of fill.

Demon_Corsair posted:

Untitled-23.jpg by theonetruedevo, on Flickr

Untitled-10.jpg by theonetruedevo, on Flickr

Untitled-11.jpg by theonetruedevo, on Flickr
Do you want critique?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

DoktorLoken posted:

I could use the MF assist's digital zoom to check my focus but that's slow and cumbersome.
Focus peaking?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Brodieanalog posted:

Had a prom shoot last weekend really liked the results.

Prom! by Back to You Photography, on Flickr
Hahaha lady, whoever told that dress was ok needs a punch in the neck! Also check your WB on 2 and 3.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Right he's not being dynamic at all, and in the second one he looks like he's about to pass out of heat exhaustion.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Paragon8 posted:

I'd really love to see one of these CA/FL photographers shoot a girl in a lovely flat in East London like I have to.

I don't mean to put them down, he's definitely good but gaaah. Frustrating that I don't have access to stuff like that :(
You have soft natural light most of the year, stop bitching.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Hahahaha that sleeve.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Also for the love of poo poo shoot big-nosed people with a longer lens.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

LargeHadron posted:

Alright, I gotcha. My wife wanted me to post a couple that she took/processed to see if she could get some feedback as well.

DSC01521 by Large Hadron, on Flickr

DSC01524 by Large Hadron, on Flickr

We're still trying to reconcile our differences in processing tastes...
WB's way off in both of these? Not sitting on a calibrated panel so I don't want to run my mouth, but first is very green/yellow in the highlights, second is a bit red. That's on top of what everyone else is saying about comp.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

xenilk posted:

it's in my head?
It really is (if you shoot the same ISO). The amount of light that hits the sensor is the same. What might happen is your lens being less sharp/contrasty at the compensated aperture.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

xenilk posted:

I guess it can also suck when the shutter speed needed is faster than what your camera can do. I'll try to work on that habit lol
Yeah but if your camera was made in last 20 years chances are it can do it. I don't think you can even buy a DSLR today that does less than 1/4000.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Hahaha now it looks like he's twice your size. Also why'd you shoot 1,5 stop dark?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Control your shadows instead of worrying about the horizon 8D

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Or you could... stop... down...

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

SoundMonkey posted:

There may be a reason why this person chose to use an f/1.4 lens instead of a vastly cheaper f/1.8 lens, and I bet it doesn't involve stopping down.
I think it involves gently patting his photog peener :mad:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

somnambulist posted:

What camera did you shoot those with? They look great :) Sucks your subjects are being a boob.
Any semi-recent DSLR.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

AtomicManiac posted:

Headshot I snapped today. I still feel like I might be over-doing it on the eyes. Any thoughts?
Was the goal to make him look like he got his eye coloration from Melange addiction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Press ctrl-Z until he looks non-radioactive. Bump shadows. Done.

That expression isn't worth much IMO.