Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That looks a lot less zombiefied than your first attempts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Do you live with fundies?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Fix your backgrounds and your posing. That lady has a horribly forced picture smile and somebody needs to tell her to relax.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Generally if you can't see both sides of the peaks it means you're cutting something off (dropping information) and you'll want to make sure that's what you want.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

:420::420::420: THE DREAMER :420::420::420:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

poopinmymouth posted:

Not often I get to be in front of the camera, and even less frequent that there are lights involved. Visiting photographer friend wanted to photograph us, and we took this in our greenhouse. Designed to show the cluttered life we are living as new parents, as well as my husband's love of gardening. Fuji X100 and a Softlighter just outside the greenhouse to camera left at about 2.5 meter height providing the main light. I did the post work.
Congrats mang!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Channeling that inner rock owens

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

LogisticEarth posted:

Recently I've tried to branch out into some more people-oriented photography, so to that end I wrangled up some time-for-images shoots from Craigslist. I got a couple legitimate responses and the shoots went well. However, I have literally never really done any dedicated portrait shoots before. I learned a couple things, including that the autofocus on my camera really sucks when you absolutely need to not suck. The other is that if I'm going to try and shoot in full sunlight, I need a decent reflector or something. Also I should look into better posing and direction as one girl had no formal experience and I could have done better had I actually known what I was doing. Overall though I think it was a solid first effort, but I have a long way to go.

JudyM_LowRes-29 by Nate P, on Flickr

JudyM_LowRes-7 by Nate P, on Flickr

HeatherR_Low Res-12 by Nate P, on Flickr

HeatherR_Low Res-18 by Nate P, on Flickr

More here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/natepritchardphoto/albums/72157660198675295
Try to hit critical focus to begin with.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The first 3 are quite good. The thirds could really use more DoF, it's v shallow but it serves no purpose.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Angular size is everything.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

One light, one reflector and a flag will already get you a long, long way. Control ambient before you worry about a 3rd+ light source.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

DJExile posted:

To be completely fair I don't mind the sepia as much as I usually do, but the B&W one is great.
:same:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mrenda posted:

I like the way this highlights the struggle of having long hair on a windy day, but shows how hair covering your eyes and getting in your mouth is mainly irrelevant as long as you can boob your way to a lift from a passerby. It's also great that you show how an anklette and raising your feet like you're wearing your clubbing heels is more important than wearing shoes as you hitchhike away from your problems and stalkers with a telephoto lens. This really captures the necessity of giving up any ideas of personhood when faced with a penis with a budget and portfolio site as represented by the need to flee but still look beauty full for the viewer, and also the complete unpreparedness of the attempt to run and inevitable futility of any attempt when you'll just as surely be held aloft as some totemic ideal of desire despite every fibre of your presentation indicating you only exist to fulfill the fantasy laid out by crass consumption of a woman as a thing to please, if you even have that amount of agency.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

thetzar posted:

Yes, TheAngryDrunk's photograph was vapid. But drat. So are most photographs.

IMHO (Hey guys, remember when we used to say IMHO?), the photograph has the old woman-as-an-object problem, but is drawing hate because it's woman-as-an-object without a reason for it.
BINGBINGBING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Thom12255 posted:

Because of the facial expression or something more? I'm trying to get better at directing people so any tips you have to get a more natural pose out of someone would be great to hear.
bright spot on the left stealing focus, hard shadows on her facial features.