Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Fragrag posted:

This is probably my most favourite portrait recently, though the godawful shadow on the topright is annoying my, but there was nowhere else I could have repositioned without it disturbing the picture.
If that's your favorite I'd be real tempted to try photoshopping out that shadow. You couldn't ask for a more perfect setup for doing it, with all those identical bricks; you could probably just grab the left corner, flip it horizontally, and jam it right in (I'm gettin' all worked up just thinkin' about it! :sweatdrop: ). Hell, even the lighting looks the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
What the hell, I'll jump in:

I don't know care what anyone says, this remains one of my absolute favorites. She's old, and haggard, and was drunk as hell when that was taken, and I don't think I could replicate that look on her face if you paid me.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Reichstag posted:

Yeah, and it's miles better than the cookie-cutter pictures above it.
Thanks, I think your snapshots are really cute too!

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Twenties Superstar posted:

You make jokes but I feel like a big pharmaceutical logo for a drug that solves some vaguely described problem would be right at home on any of those other portraits
So say that, I'd prefer it rather than someone taking a poo poo on my post then ducking out, as if I'm supposed to read his comment and then change my life. I like a lot of Reichstag's stuff (hell, I love the smoking guy photo), but I haven't seen anything quite yet that's hot-poo poo enough to warrant a worthless "gently caress you get out" post in a how-to thread.

You're saying they're trite and lack personality? I can use that, sincerely. Nonanone says there's no context, no reason for anyone else to care about these? I can use that, too. But a snarky comment from someone who just says "these are all poo poo"? Who gains anything from that?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

I guess my only point was I take criticism just fine, but outright dismissal not so well, and that's what it seemed like to me. If I apologize for getting all butthurt over this (and that's all it was, when you get down to it; I'd had a long day), can we get back to posting some portraits? :)

nonanone posted:

This is awesome, by the way. The impatience, the clock, I just love it.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

plaguedoctor posted:

If the person is a wanted drug-dealer, it's going to be a different portrait from Mary-kate Olsen.
Clearly you haven't been keeping up with Mary Kate lately.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Penpal posted:

did a bunch of portrait shots of my sister.
Nice shots. It's funny, until I got to the last photo I didn't know she had braces. But after seeing the last photo I looked at the others and it's impossible to miss with the way she closes (or rather can't close) her mouth.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

McMadCow posted:

I remember when you first posted this, and it remains one of my favorite SA photos.

McMadCow posted:

I saw this and idly thought "I would like to see more." Flickr does not disappoint.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

torgeaux posted:

Dude on the far left of the group portrait is suffering from some radical lens distortion.
Woman second from left in the group portrait is just suffering

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

notlodar posted:

Haha if you scroll up the page from the bottom you notice this woman actually blends in with the books, it's like she's wearing some kind of librarian camo. :)

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Need a link or two (or if anyone feels like just writing out some tips, feel free!) on basic portrait shooting if anybody's got any. Body positioning, hand placement, lighting - basic stuff, because I don't really know anything. I'm figuring to use my 100/2.8 and a 50/1.4 (and I'll have a 17-50 if I need it), and I've got two flashes and one cactus trigger.

A friend is one of four finalists in a writing contest; the winner gets published and presumably the photo (if he wins) will be used for publicity and/or on the back cover somewhere. I don't really have high hopes of him winning (the last time I read one of his novels it sucked pretty hard), this is more a learning exercise than anything.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

They won't inspire anyone to greatness or win any awards, but the client is happiest with the first one (me too) and a handful of others came out well. This is (potentially) to be used as the author's photo on a book jacket.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Took this one on my wedding night, it was the only time I was allowed to touch a camera that day. :)

There's a few things I would do differently (not make her look like a double hand amputee, for one), but I think that drat lampshade bugs me the most. When I crop it out it feels like I'm losing too much of the rest of the room.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Here's a portrait sitting I did on Sunday.
This is going to seem like a terrible review, because I'm not much good at feedback except to say what I don't like about something. I think what these lack most is just good composition. There's not enough DoF in your wide shots to separate them from the background; you've got trees and columns and flower pots, it's hard to really focus on your subjects. The shots that seem like they ought to be symmetrical -like the first and fourth one- aren't, and they're worse for it because they come so close and miss. The ones I come closest to liking are the ones where you just pulled in real close and shot wide open.

I feel like if you ever get the opportunity to do this again you ought to have more fun with it; except for the park setting there's no difference between these shots and what someone might have taken of them onstage. It seems cliche (someone in CC already did something like this with fairy tale heroines, if I remember right), but I'd like to see them doing un-Nutcracker-like things. Reading a newspaper together, or eating a paper-wrapped street vendor hotdog. These are probably terrible suggestions, but you get the idea; we already know what the sugarplum fairy looks like in a pose, so either show her not posing, or do it in a way that's new and interesting. Feel free to disregard this post, because god knows I've posted some bad poo poo in this thread in the past. I'm not sure I'm qualified to give advice yet. :)

Whitezombi posted:

I'm loving my new 50D and 580EX II!
These are just retarded-good. I started to ask whether there's such a thing as being too heavy-handed with the catchlights, but every time I go back and look at these I like them a little more, so I guess not.

LuisX posted:

Completely unrelated to photography, but of all the things that have come into - and gone out of - style in my lifetime, I can't believe this has lasted as long as it has.

jackpot fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 29, 2009

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

LuisX posted:

Clubs and event:

This local photog has good stuff:

http://anthonyverrilli.com/

Wish I could see more photogs shooting with such quality more often :(
My loving God, what is up with the bouncy poo poo going on. I don't know if it's just Firefox, but it drat near made me seasick, what a terrible way to display photos.

Great pics though.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

psylent posted:

I've wanted to do something like this for a while, but I'm lacking the balls.

http://photojojo.com/content/photo-projects/how-to-shoot-street-portraits/

VVVV: pretty much just for the experience of having done it. Sure it's been done by lots of people before, but I haven't done it. Yet.
I always thought it would be fun to buy three or four cheap, old picture frames (like what you see in any thrift store) and set up on a busy street corner somewhere. Let people pick their favorite, then have them hold it up and pose inside however they want. I haven't had an original idea in decades, so I'm probably just remembering someone else that did this; still, I think it would be neat. I'll bet you'd get lots of volunteers, especially if you handed out a url where they could see their portraits later.

jackpot fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 28, 2010

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

TsarAleksi posted:

Here's an old one but I'm curious about opinions on the posing. These guys were going to the police and fire games.
I think the poses are just fine, but man the distortion is really showing on that front guy. His head's all funny looking and stretched.

Whitezombi posted:

I think they're all well done, but this third one is fairly badass.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Third one's definitely blue, look at her eyes; overall I'm not crazy at all about the turquoise background, but other than that she looks good. Also, in the third one it looks like she's naked in bed, with the sheets pulled up over her, which is great if that's the look she was going for I guess. :)

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Met Sarah outside a coffee shop, when her friend was shooting portraits of her up against the wall. Asked if I could join in and take a few.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Crossposting from the general photo thread, because everyone doing portraits can learn from this:

Billy Hunt Photography: 4 Tips for Looking Beautiful in Photos

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Aim a hotshoe flash at the ceiling: avoid horrible shadows behind the subject, but end up with bags under the eyes. How to avoid, when you've got no options/room for off-camera lighting? Examples A, B:

Fiesty Francis posted:

:nws:https://wi.somethingawful.com/a5/a5181c86d3aba5a5978c4d16a50fdfe9c48bf558.jpg:nws:
(Shot in shower, but no actual nudity.)
Your dictionary has the strictest definition of "nudity" I've ever seen. :)

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

You know what would also help, at least a little? If I read the loving instructions on my flash and realized the built-in wide-angle extender piece can be used to do exactly the same thing.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Sigma 530 Super.

I'm sure one of the add-on bounce cards will work better than the built-in, but it's nice to know I've got an alternative. I probably should've asked about this before taking 400 photos at a party yesterday. Then again the birthday girl was turning 100, so at least I can't be blamed for the bags under her eyes.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

HPL posted:

It should simply because it's so much larger. It won't cost you much if at all to try it out, so why not?
Oh I'm definitely going to do it; I just meant if I forget to bring a card it's nice to know something's built in. Not that it would be hard to find a white index card and some tape, even if I did forget to bring something.

Hop Pocket posted:

I have lately been bouncing the light, when possible, over my shoulder and slightly to the side. You end up getting nice, directional lighting, strong catchlights in their eyes, and a lot of times will avoid the shadows that kill ceiling-bounced shots. Of course, for this to work, there needs to be a wall or relatively close behind you.
Yep, and looking through my shots you can tell which ones I did this, and which ones I bounced off the ceiling. It was just too crowded most of the time.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Alctel posted:

I don't do portraits at all but a friend of mine got nominated for some theater awards and called me up in a panic because her headshots were 10 years old and 'you sometimes take photos of bugs and stuff right'.
Definitely the first one. The second one is so awkwardly composed that it looks like a test shot.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Paragon8 posted:

yay, testing. I think I can really use this model.
I want to know if she looked at this and said "You made me look pregnant." :) Because honestly, I look at that and I can't un-see it; the transparency and the way the shirt hangs, it just looks like she's got a bump.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Any book or site recommendations for learning more about product photography, specifically jewelry? I realize this is the portrait thread but it seemed like my best bet. A friend of mine has a jewelry business and I've been shooting her stuff, mostly in a lightbox I made. But every time I have to shoot her wearing anything (rings, necklaces, bracelets) I turn into a damned idiot; I literally have no idea how to pose her, how to frame the shot, etc. I've tried googling it but even then I'm having a hard time finding anything.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

The general consensus so far seems to be that I suffer from "dad posting poo poo that nobody else would want to see," but I'm trying to improve on that. Besides the "make me care" part, I'd love to hear if there are any other obvious portrait failures happening here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

That rules. Nice job shooting him where even the eyelashes stand out.