Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
Any thoughts on this shoot I did for my friends' band? Honestly, if anything good came out of it, it was purely by accident. I didn't really have any direction in mind, they didn't either, and because of time restrictions we pretty much shot between 1PM and 4PM, which isn't exactly a super time for natural light.

Any feedback is appreciated.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jontomassi/sets/72157621950643514/detail/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
I wouldn't be so short if I had legs!

I agree about the WB too. I need a grey card. I loving suck at eyeballing it.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

Do you get what I'm saying, though? It's hard to put together a coherent portrait set without at least some idea of what you want it to look like before you start. Even if it's something generic like "I want them to look tough" or "I want pretty mountains as scenery," at least that's something to build on. You have a foundation. Somewhere to start.

You can get as detailed as you want when it comes to conceptualizing your portrait shoots, but if you don't even have the slightest clue where to start, you're screwed.

No, I totally get you. I didn't really like the arrangement either. It was really last minute so even though I was willing to scope out some locations, flesh out some ideas with them, etc., I had absolutely no time. They liked and were able to use at least one of the pictures (dis one), but I wasn't really 100% happy with the whole experience.

Something to bear in mind for next time. I hadn't realized it until you put it into words, but the fact that I had like zero direction really was devastating. It also made directing them during the shoot all but impossible. I mean, aside from making sure everyone is in frame, what can you really say to your model(s) when you don't know what you're trying to convey in an image?