Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I really love some of the portraits I've taken but they are mostly of my kid or wife and I just won't trust the internet. I do like that sense of just working within whatever the moment is to bring out the feeling I have at that time. Would be nice to start getting practice with a model!

I live right by Disney World now so I might just ask people who are struggling to take a photo if they want one and I'll zip to my phone and send it after. I've already been approached by a random person for that recently when they saw the gear and they liked the results.

Viginti Septem posted:

I was out shooting some flower shots and a lady came up to me and asked to model.

Viginti you always bring such an interesting set of colors to your work across all these different photography threads. Maybe because of the darker skin, but I think the the greens and yellows go so well with the model. Do you have color theory in mind or just adjust until it looks right to you on these?

I love this one. The frame-ception is working for me.

Bottom Liner posted:

I don't know if anyone would be interested, but I've made some in depth film emulation presets that combine Lightroom presets and custom profiles made from davinci resolve color tools (which are way more in depth) and converted from luts to get some great results. It'd be nice to get some outside testing from folks. Here's a few samples (first image is raw)

Sure, I'd like to play around with it if you still have. The last two examples especially have a great look to them. I just import them to Lightroom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bottom Liner posted:

What area? I'm just west of WDW too, we should go shoot something sometime when it's not 120 degrees.

And sure, it's a .zip file you install from the presets drop down at the top in the Dev tab. They'll be listed under both Presets on the left and Profiles on the right at the top of the Light module, so you apply them separately and adjust the amount with the slider for each. Generally want to push exposure on them for this style (either in camera or in post) and keep sharpening low (I mostly use export sharpening Matte Standard). If you really want to push the film style, you can do a luminosity mask with ~15 grain. Let me compile them this evening and I'll send you a PM.

Hey, thanks for your time! That would be great. I’m in south Clermont so around 20 mins from the parks. Still trying to get a good feel for where I can go practice in this area so that would be cool.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Well earned!

This one is a bit busier than I would like, but it was funny watching this guy try to keep these balloons in line on a windy day

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ihmemies posted:

Wandered around the city a bit with a friend yesterday.

This angle really worked for me. Nice! I liked the tones in the rest of the photos as well. Honestly I'm not a fan of the "hiding in the leaves" trend and it doesn't feel balanced to me but that's just personal preference.

I'm spending a lot of time in Disney with my daughter so finding the opportunities to practice portraits where I can without being a creep-o, hah. Trying to take these kinds of performance shots really shows me how hard it is to do this kind of photography well. Finding a good spot among people listening, without blocking someone's view, then trying to find a way to isolate a subject that you think is going to do something interesting. I couldn't really get this guy by himself but man I was feeling the moment - he had some good energy.

I've resolved to stick with my 35mm for a while and then I'll try rotating to my 90mm to see what I can do with the flatter look.

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Aug 28, 2023

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
My girl turns 3 tomorrow, which is also basically my anniversary of getting into this fun hobby. I looked back in photos today and saw her growth as well as my own from camera phone, Canon EOS T6 and then Sony a7iv once I knew I'd be sticking with it. I never posed her so it really got me moving and trying to come up with new ways to capture her movement. I can see I was missing focus all the time, wrong apertures, etc. and slowly improving until shooting exclusively manual. Eye AF never hurts, either : )

So this is the ultimate E/N post but if you like cute babies:

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
That's extremely kind of you both. It fills me with joy to have a hobby that lets me stay involved with my kid while still giving me a chance to improve at a skill. As a bonus, I get to remember these moments better. She is actually going through a little shutterbug phase and now asks me if she can take pictures of stuff pretty often. Here's hoping it sticks!

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
No worries - I've been playing with some Mastin Labs film presets and DXO filmpack stuff in the meantime since your film simulation idea inspired me. I like the DXO one because it has information on each film type and I'm sort of learning why they were (are) used by osmosis. Haven't had too much time with them but so far I am a big fan of Ilford offerings for B&W and Kodak Portra negative for color portraits.

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Sep 14, 2023

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Those sunstars in the glasses are pretty cool! I really like the casual vibe in that one.

Ihmemies posted:

Since people have posted candids earlier here, I'll post a few too.

Right up my alley! I'm really in love with candids lately.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

bellows lugosi posted:

here's a portrait i took

First off - I like this dude’s vibe and it feels nice and casual. Maybe more contrast or is there a tint thing going on? He seems kind of washed out but I don’t know the terms to describe it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
A simple portrait but my first son was born this morning. The sun was setting through the hospital blinds and the clear bassinet was like a filter. Felt like a great time to carve out a few seconds for a photo! No time for raws or real processing, of course.