Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Verman posted:

Ive learned to never show them test shots or bad shots, people like when they see themselves looking good and get more confidence in you and themselves, the first sign of them looking bad is going to bring them down like lead weights so pick and choose what frames you show them.

I was working with someone last weekend and she had a lot of good shots. In between places in the car I showed her a few of the ones I liked. We got to a new place and she kept doing something that looked awkward on the camera. I couldn't explain to her how to stop looking the way she was so I showed her sand said "This is what it's looking like" it was obviously a bad shot but after seeing it she knew how to correct what she was doing.

Anyway, I'd show a bad shot if I was having trouble with the model(s) and needed them to further understand what they're doing looks like.

Once I shot a couple for their engagement, hideous couple at that, but they kept A hugging. You know where they lean over and hug like they're good ol' chaps or something. No matter how many times I tried to get them to move in and embrace each other it didn't work. So I ended up having to show them the beautiful arch between their bodies they were making to give them a clue.

Anyway, I don't think it's so bad to show bad pictures if your subject doesn't understand what their actions are looking like on the other side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

HPL posted:

Good lord. They must have sex with all their clothes on or something.

I'd really hope so. For the sake of humanity that they don't actually bread. Used to be friends of mine; back when I would have and did shoot an engagement for free.

It was a disaster in the end.

I got very few decent shots (most looked like they were trying way too hard to act loving instead of actually being in that state). They were very rude (Hi! Free Photographer who is your friend) and in the end the Fiance who is a bitch (okay they weren't both my friends) accused me of making her "fatter" in photoshop after seeing a few samples (Why would a photographer do this?). They started "demanding" to send them all the raw files... At which point I deleted all the photos and told them good luck and go gently caress yourself.

Cheap son of bitches are married now; they never did have another engagement shoot. or perhaps they did and those were also so ugly it was impossible to show. Their wedding shots consist of some jackass using a Canon Digital Elph with the flash going off in every shot regardless of need. It's something special... memories to cherish forever.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Reichstag posted:

As a portrait what did you like about these? I ask because I would expect to find them in the snap shot a day thread. The framing is bad on the first and third. The light is poo poo in the second. And none of them have great expressions (if you can see them at all).

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Reichstag posted:

How is the framing bad? The expressions aren't great? I think you're looking for an entirely different type of photo altogether, or have an ill-defined idea of what a portrait is.

I didn't deny they were portraits.

I asked you why you thought they were good. I'm curious is all. All three of these look like your subject didn't want to be in the photo. I have an ill-defined idea of portraits? Not really, I generally think having my subject's face be seen by the camera is a good start.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Jiblet posted:

What's up there?

It might be Jesus. Either way I'm not a fan of that picture. It's not very sharp, doesn't appear to be overly flattering of a pose for the subject and she has a look of slight confusion or contempt on her face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Cross_ posted:

So looking out of the frame to the left is okay, but top left is not ? Weird :confused:

Correct. Yours looks a lot more unnatural - and the other things I said don't help I would think.