Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Label
Feb 25, 2005

Encapsulate the spirit of melancholy. Easy. BOOM. A sad desk. BOOM. Sad wall. It's art. Anything is anything.

DuckBOT posted:

Just got a 430EX SpeedLite and 85mm f/1.8 prime (both for relatively cheap!).

This is a shot I took of my girlfriend while I was fooling around. I was bouncing the flash off the ceiling, and I know that bra strap is pretty distracting. Otherwise I think I did an OK job :).

That's the problem I've found with the 85mm f/1.8- you really need to watch your focus. It's hard to see on the LCD, but if on the computer you zoom in, sometimes the wrong part is emphasized, like in your picture. Her jeans/bottom part of her shirt are the most in focus, where as the face isn't... and that's where everyone's eyes going to be looking in a portrait. As for the composition, it's pretty alright. Like you said, the bra strap but also some of the background elements could be eliminated or positioned so they aren't so distracting (like the blanket on the bottom).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Label
Feb 25, 2005

Encapsulate the spirit of melancholy. Easy. BOOM. A sad desk. BOOM. Sad wall. It's art. Anything is anything.
I've been working on some portraits for class, and I think this is the best I've done so far, especially in terms of lighting. It helps that I've been using my friends so far in pictures, but the real test will be someone that I don't know so well. And my professor says that I can skip a pre-req so I can take a real studio class next semester!